Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 12:53 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
I had posted in this thread, or one of the other million uptown threads a year or so ago, and was just dropping back through to say my experience has been positive enough to consider buying here. As someone with a modest income, the express bus service, proximity to the lake and other nice neighborhoods and ridiculously affordable housing stock has it pretty high on my list.
Well yeah, for an investor, uptown could make sense. For a renter, I'm not sure why anyone would choose to live there given better options elsewhere (referring to the rougher areas of uptown)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 08:40 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,259,312 times
If it came down to not waiting to save more and live in uptown, or saving more to live in a nicer neighborhood, i'd save more. However, there are some somewhat nice streets that are close to Clark (dover and beacon).

Old 04-23-2011, 09:13 AM

226 posts, read 382,305 times
^I actually think the Berwyn/Edgewater community has more promise. I'm not sure how cheap it is to buy in Andersonville, but that neighborhood is already really successful.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
^I actually think the Berwyn/Edgewater community has more promise. I'm not sure how cheap it is to buy in Andersonville, but that neighborhood is already really successful.
The lower section of Andersonville which was recently taken over has A LOT of opportunity due to it not being completely gentrified like the core of Andersonville is. I'm talking about Clark near Winnemac and such.

The area of Andersonville I'm in (or will be this weekend when my lease starts is pretty much your average gentrified price (450-500K for a SFH.)

There are some pretty good condo deals to be had, though.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:32 PM

400 posts, read 958,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
So a force field will go around Uptown and it wont do well
while Edgewater which shows more promise will do awesome?

Hunh? Its all getting better. Some areas are obviously further along than others. But the whole northside by the lake is improving.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:41 PM

400 posts, read 958,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
The lower section of Andersonville which was recently taken over has A LOT of opportunity due to it not being completely gentrified like the core of Andersonville is. I'm talking about Clark near Winnemac and such.

The area of Andersonville I'm in (or will be this weekend when my lease starts is pretty much your average gentrified price (450-500K for a SFH.)

There are some pretty good condo deals to be had, though.
Nope. You are in Uptown, call it Andersonville if you like, which really is just a name for a business district one that overlaps two neigborhoods.
But really talking super super specific clouds the issue, especially with the whole andersonville moniker, atleast wrigleyville is contained within lakeview is it not? I dont think its jumped north of Irving Park yet.

Ok to be completely correct that part is andersonville terrace.
I dont think there is a specific map for andersonville

I do agree with you about Winnemac, even by Broadway, my wife lived there, Winnemac there from Broadway to Glenwood is one of the longest blocks in the city without interruption by a street, atleast for residential.
And that is a very nice Block, its once you cross Broadway that things get dicey. But its closer to the Lake and EL as well, so it has the location going for it, its the concentrated poverty there that is holding it back.

That does have to be dealt with, like Lawrence House, beautiful art deco building that is a building of despair and a magnet for badness.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
So a force field will go around Uptown and it wont do well
while Edgewater which shows more promise will do awesome?

Hunh? Its all getting better. Some areas are obviously further along than others. But the whole northside by the lake is improving.
In the case of the newer parts of Andersonville, it was due to spillover heading south on Clark. Had the recession not put a screeching halt on everything, I think it would have reached Lawrence by now. Actually, I'm super curious about those condos on Lawrence on Clark. That had potential to gentrify the part of Uptown from Lawrence to Foster and Clark east to probably Broadway.

The core of Uptown is probably a long way off to be gentrified. Hopefully the new alderman will take action to help it along. But, if you've been following that race, there are many groups kicking and screaming against gentrification. Couple that with SRO and meth clinics, and you'd be hard pressed to see anything really leave the ground.

Albany Park also has two such pro-immigration/low income groups who are firmly in place making sure low income housing remains abundant.

I know you're a parrot for your "gentrification happens near el lines" line, but Albany Park has the Kimball, Kedzie and Francisco lines going for it. By your estimation, it should be ripe for gentrification, but alas, it will never happen with the neighborhood in its current form.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
Nope. You are in Uptown, call it Andersonville if you like, which really is just a name for a business district one that overlaps two neigborhoods.
But really talking super super specific clouds the issue, especially with the whole andersonville moniker, atleast wrigleyville is contained within lakeview is it not? I dont think its jumped north of Irving Park yet.

Ok to be completely correct that part is andersonville terrace.
I dont think there is a specific map for andersonville

I do agree with you about Winnemac, even by Broadway, my wife lived there, Winnemac there from Broadway to Glenwood is one of the longest blocks in the city without interruption by a street, atleast for residential.
And that is a very nice Block, its once you cross Broadway that things get dicey. But its closer to the Lake and EL as well, so it has the location going for it, its the concentrated poverty there that is holding it back.

That does have to be dealt with, like Lawrence House, beautiful art deco building that is a building of despair and a magnet for badness.

You're absolutely wrong.

http://www.andersonville.org/anderso...o/where-we-are

Just because it exists in the uptown community area doesn't mean much, really.

It's just like Ravenswood Manor being in the Albany Park community area. Obviously, it stands very separate from the rest.

And actually, parts of Ravenswood are in the Uptown community area, but definitely belong to the Ravenswood community area.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:48 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Well for what's worth back in the late 1960s when I used to go to the Kinetic Playground at Clark and Lawrence I thought I was in Andersonville.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:58 PM

98 posts, read 111,417 times
Clark and Lawrence is Uptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago