Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:10 AM

16 posts, read 59,570 times

Advertisements

I apologize ahead of timie if there's another thread about this topic - I didn't see one but maybe I missed it. I've been looking at apartments in the Andersonville, lincoln square, ravenswood areas for the past month - mainly on craigslist and some realtor's website - and uptown keeps popping up. Sometimes it sounds as if andersonville/lincoln square/ravenswood are part of uptown and uptown is just the general name used to refer to that entire area....othertimes uptown sounds like a completely separate area of town...and still othertimes, uptown is used interchangeably with andersonville etc. Can anyone tell me exactly what area constitutes uptown??
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 11:56 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Uptown is one of Chicago's "official" communities. Click here for an official map (CAUTION: pdf file). Andersonville is mostly in the official Edgewater community. Andersonville is not an "official" neighborhood so its borders are nebulous; as the gentrification of Andersonville spreads out, so does the neighborhood's self-identified boundaries, such that a tiny sliver of it is now in the official Uptown community. Real estate agents and apartment landlords/rental agents will often use a very expansive definition of Andersonville to include their listings on (or beyond) the very fringes of the neighborhood. They do this because "Andersonville" has a lot more cachet than "Bowmanville" or "Uptown" or "Edgewater Glen."

Ravenswood is an unofficial area directly to the west of Uptown, in the southeast corner of the Official Community of Lincoln Square -- click here for an official map of Lincoln Square.

Confused yet? Wait, it gets worse. Most of the time, when someone refers to Uptown, they are really referring to a small portion of it, namely the Broadway corridor from approximately Montrose Avenue to approximately Foster Avenue, and the two or three blocks in each direction off of Broadway. Meanwhile, the colloquial use of Lincoln Square usually refers not to the entire Lincoln Square official community, but a small part of it that centers around Lincoln Avenue approximately from Montrose Avenue to Lawrence Avenue, plus the residential areas about two or three blocks east and west of Lincoln.

If it sounds confusing and you think you'll never have it all figured out, don't worry -- you're not alone. Even long-time Chicagoans argue about the exact (or even approximate) borders of these "unofficial" designations.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:12 PM

16 posts, read 59,570 times
Thanks! That was helpful, although I'm not going to lie...I am still confused! The map will be useful though.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:33 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
Don't know exactly, but I am in love with an uptown girl. She's been living in her uptown world...I bet she never had a back street guy. I bet her mama never told her why. I'm gonna try for an uptown girl. She's been living in her white bread world
As long as anyone with hot blood can

And now she's looking for a downtown man

That's what I am

And when she knows what

She wants from her ti i i ime

And when she wakes up

And makes up her mi i i ind

She'll see I'm not so tough

Just because

I'm in love with an uptown girl

You know I've seen her in her uptown world

She's getting tired of her high class toys

And all her presents from her uptown boys

She's got a choice

Uptown girl

You know I can't afford to buy her pearls

But maybe someday when my ship comes in

She'll understand what kind of guy I've been

And then I'll win

And when she's walking

She's looking so fine

And when she's talking

She'll say that she's mine

She'll say I'm not so tough

Just because

I'm in love

With and uptown girl

She's been living in her white bread world

As long as anyone with hot blood can

And now she's looking for a downtown man

That's what I am

Uptown girl

She's my uptown girl

You know I'm in love

With an uptown girl

My uptown girl

You know I'm in love

With an uptown girl

My uptown girl

You know I'm in love

With an uptown girl

My uptown girl

Sorry....I got a little carried away.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:00 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Uptown's borders are from Irving Park Road to Foster Avenue, and from the Lake to roughly Clark Street (or Graceland Cemetary). Edgewater is directly north of Uptown, and was officially part of the Uptown Community area until the 1970s when it officially seceded. Over the years Uptown has had a bit of a rough reputation, so many "sub-neighborhoods" exist within Uptown as part of an effort of residents to distance themselves from the Uptown name. Buena Park is the most established and well-known, and that is basically the southernmost part of Uptown from Irving Park to Montrose. Sheridan Park is the area west of Broadway. Margate Park is in the upper Northeast corner, etc.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:38 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
A small part of Ravenswood is in Uptown. But no part of Ravenswood goes east of Ashland.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:05 PM

202 posts, read 763,031 times
And everyone in Buena Park doesn't identify with Uptown and instead go for the hokier "North Lakeview" but we all know who we are really.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:53 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,668 times
Until Uptown gets rid of all the social service organizations (mental health clinics, homeless shelters, SRO's, halfway houses, etc.) it's going to continue with the reputation of an oasis of crap in a desert of prosperity. They should flatten Uptown and turn it into a lakeside park.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:58 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
^ Not with all that amazing architecture!

But yes, the main reason it gets confusing is "Uptown" is usually associated with the rundown and sometimes dangerous area of the neighborhood. So realtors and residents are very keen on just using "other" names for their sections of the official community.

Andersonville is a place that's "cute" and all done up with nice people and nice houses. Buena Park, North Lakeview - lots of these are so people don't have to use the "U" word.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Until Uptown gets rid of all the social service organizations (mental health clinics, homeless shelters, SRO's, halfway houses, etc.) it's going to continue with the reputation of an oasis of crap in a desert of prosperity. They should flatten Uptown and turn it into a lakeside park.
They should flatten wherever the hell crappy attitudes like this prevail and turn it into anything more productive. Such as a landfill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Andersonville is a place that's "cute" and all done up with nice people and nice houses. Buena Park, North Lakeview - lots of these are so people don't have to use the "U" word.
Andersonville is not in Uptown anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago