Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 08:37 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

There are several cities out in the burbs that are amongst the fastest growing in the nation... Naperville, Aurora, Joliet, Kendall County in general as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 10:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdz View Post
very interesting map, thanks for the post. Not surprisingly, most of the loss in population is in the economically depressed west side and south side. Tearing down the housing complexes probably is the biggest reason for that.
I doubt it since the map tracks population movement from 1990-2000, and they didn't even start depopulating the CHA complexes until about 1999. The vast majority of them were still occupied by 2000.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:20 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,906 times
good point, I guess people were leaving even beforehand

Old 05-23-2007, 01:15 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
It's hard to draw much from this map without more information. Typically, people will flee declining areas -- even those responsible for it. Crime gets very high and you don't have even basic amenities like grocery and convenience stores, much less bars and restaurants. So it isn't just the destruction of the CHA projects that caused the "green" marks in the declining areas. That's been a known pattern for decades. On the flip side, areas which are gentrifying also experience population loss because the households get smaller. So you can't tell much about what's really going on by simply looking at this map.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:37 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
It's not just the city of Chicago, the Chicago-Naperville-Joliet metro area is losing more people than it is gaining (like many Midwestern cities) by about 60 - 70,000/year since 1997. There is population growth, but it has slowed from the 90's and is mainly due to more births than deaths:

http://recenter.tamu.edu/data/popm00/pcbsa16980.html
(far right column, "net domestic migration")

I'm guessing it is hitting most Midwestern cities because of baby-boomers starting to move South for retirement (or people fed up with cold weather). Retirees don't really care that much about job growth, as long as they are getting a good investment.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:14 PM

319 posts, read 494,014 times
I'm starting to think that Chicago is a city where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Is that the case over there?

Old 05-23-2007, 02:45 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
I'm starting to think that Chicago is a city where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Is that the case over there?
I think its fair to say that, over the past few decades, the United States of American is a country where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. I don't think Chicago is really all that different than any American city in terms overall economic trends. The urban poor have taken it on the chin for over thirty years ever since manufacturing/union jobs have declined. Chicago's advantage, over many other "rustbelt" cities, is its success in reinventing itself as a post-industrial city where high-paid, highly-educated "knowledge" workers want to live.

Last edited by oakparkdude; 05-23-2007 at 02:58 PM..

Old 05-23-2007, 11:40 PM

774 posts, read 2,496,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
Low income residents moving to the suburbs?

...What?

What kind of suburbs line around Chicago? Are they like smaller cities?
Because New York's suburbs are just houses lined up for blocks on end, which are more expensive than buying a home in the city proper because of taxes, I think. BUT more bang for the buck.

Over here the low-income residents have no choice but to live in the city. They can't afford to live in the suburbs. lol...

I don't see why Chicago isn't affordable for most anybody. I checked out a few apartment listings which have some nice furnished studio apartments for around 450/m. Are the rents climbing that fast?
As mentioned by some others, the low income residents seem to be moving more into the south suburbs and Northwest Indiana (the equivalent of what Newark is to New Yorkers). The north and west suburbs, on the other hand, are probably more in line with what you're thinking of in terms of prototypical affluent towns comparable to Westchester County or Connecticut.

In addition to the transient population and phase-out of housing projects, I also think that there are a substantial number of investors and second home buyers that are fueling the condo construction in downtown Chicago beyond the full-time residents. There are enough suburbanites or out-of-towners (there was just an article in the Chicago Tribune this past Sunday on the rush of real estate investors from Ireland buying up properties in the city) that want and can afford a city pad for the weekends that there continues to be demand for more high-end housing in the city even though they might live elsewhere during the week.

What's important for Chicago is that the population, while slightly trickling downward since it's now geared more toward singles and DINKs as opposed to families, is generally pretty stable while the entire metro area is growing a pretty good clip. Contrast this with places such as St. Louis, Detroit and Cleveland that are facing the double-whammy of an continuous exodus from their urban cores while their metro areas aren't expanding much at all.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Chicago's advantage, over many other "rustbelt" cities, is its success in reinventing itself as a post-industrial city where high-paid, highly-educated "knowledge" workers want to live.
Actually Chicago's advantage was embedded into its economy long before the decline of manufacture and heavy industry. By then Chicago had already diversified into many other industries such as financial services, accounting/consulting services, corporate retail, transportation, insurance, legal services, pharmaceuticals, et cetera. Chicago didn't have to "reinvent" itself because it was already substantially diversified before the middle of the 20th century. Even though the industrial decline hit certain parts of the city pretty hard, Chicago weathered it much better than areas like Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cleveland, Lehigh Valley (Allentown/Bethlehem), et cetera, whose economies were based almost entirely on heavy industry/manufacture.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:46 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I doubt it since the map tracks population movement from 1990-2000, and they didn't even start depopulating the CHA complexes until about 1999. The vast majority of them were still occupied by 2000.
The vast majority of the apartments probably weren't 'occupied' by 2000. Unless by 'occupied' you mean uncounted squatters, gang members, and drug dealers. From 1990 to 2000 the populations of them were in major decline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
On the flip side, areas which are gentrifying also experience population loss because the households get smaller. So you can't tell much about what's really going on by simply looking at this map.
Is that the case that the population declines with gentrification? I thought gentrification involved creating more homes, with things like high rise apartment complexes. Anyway that web link that I gave shows a lot of maps detailing those other issues of it, like income change and ethnic change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago