Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:45 PM

11 posts, read 21,669 times

Advertisements

I don't know how to put someones post in here, but to the person who said i was complaining I was merely stating an opinion sir. I dont feel I should have to dodge potholes when Im drivng as the other guy said on some sort of obstacle course. Thats obsurd! Im sorry, I love Chicago but somethngs gotta be done with the roads. They are rough, unsafe in many areas, I know by me the roads are very rough, they need to be widened to handle all the traffic, stop lights need to be properly timed with eachother so you can smoothly travel down the street without hitting every red light all the way down your path and when doing road construction is it really neccessary to block off a lane for 10 miles to do road work in a 10 foot section? No other state does that, they move the horses as they go to not affect traffic too much. As for the 2 New Yorkers and Skip, all three of you need to get a life. This thread should just be shut down it's stupid now. The roads here are aweful plain and simple and saying they are worse somewhere else is no excuse. Thats like the guy that gets pulled over for speeding and his response to the cop is well everyone else is speeding. Does that make it right?

Old 05-06-2009, 11:09 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermom1 View Post
I don't know how to put someones post in here, but to the person who said i was complaining I was merely stating an opinion sir. I dont feel I should have to dodge potholes when Im drivng as the other guy said on some sort of obstacle course. Thats obsurd! Im sorry, I love Chicago but somethngs gotta be done with the roads. They are rough, unsafe in many areas, I know by me the roads are very rough, they need to be widened to handle all the traffic, stop lights need to be properly timed with eachother so you can smoothly travel down the street without hitting every red light all the way down your path and when doing road construction is it really neccessary to block off a lane for 10 miles to do road work in a 10 foot section? No other state does that, they move the horses as they go to not affect traffic too much. As for the 2 New Yorkers and Skip, all three of you need to get a life. This thread should just be shut down it's stupid now. The roads here are aweful plain and simple and saying they are worse somewhere else is no excuse. Thats like the guy that gets pulled over for speeding and his response to the cop is well everyone else is speeding. Does that make it right?
We read you loud and clear, m'am. You shoould not have to dodge or swerver around potholes. They are not only a nuisance but alos a danger to motorists. I can't believe that with all the eaxing that Cook county does they still can't get around to fixing those the streets. It's sad.

PS. We will get a life as soon as possible.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:00 AM

188 posts, read 477,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
How typical for Chicago and its government: any slightest complaint provokes excuses and more excuses and then an attack on the one complaining as it was his/her fault the situation is bad. Yeah, shut up soccermom and just swerve around potholes like everyone else... What did you expect, someone actually fixing potholes? Are you insane?
Wow, Chicago is a really great city. I love it, if not for the weather than for the wonderful, friendly and compassionate people.
Its not an excuse dementor.....its logic, more traffic, more wear and tear on the roads. Secondly you can fix pot holes in the winter when there is 6 inches of snow on the ground. In the spring and summer they are constructing wider and more technologically advanced expressways. Quite frankly pot holes arent a massive concern because most people AVOID THEM....YET AGAIN I ASK.... WHY DO YOU LIVE IN NY AND POST IN THE CHICAGO FORUM!?!?! You are the definition of a troll.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:03 AM

188 posts, read 477,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermom1 View Post
ROFLMAO... Now you want the stop lights to be timed as well? And construction barriers to be one foot away from the workers? The cones and horses are far away because its their safety. In this magical land of no pot holes, timed stop lights, and no construction are there unicorns that fly you around?

Old 05-07-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonra25 View Post
Its not an excuse dementor.....its logic, more traffic, more wear and tear on the roads. Secondly you can fix pot holes in the winter when there is 6 inches of snow on the ground. In the spring and summer they are constructing wider and more technologically advanced expressways. Quite frankly pot holes arent a massive concern because most people AVOID THEM....YET AGAIN I ASK.... WHY DO YOU LIVE IN NY AND POST IN THE CHICAGO FORUM!?!?! You are the definition of a troll.

Avoid them? You mean swerving in traffic like maniacs?

Do you think Chicago is the only city in the world with heavy traffic and harsh winters? Or the only one with construction in the summer?

Old 05-07-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
ROFLMAO... Now you want the stop lights to be timed as well? And construction barriers to be one foot away from the workers? The cones and horses are far away because its their safety. In this magical land of no pot holes, timed stop lights, and no construction are there unicorns that fly you around?
Ya, man. It's XXI century, traffic lights in the third largest city in the US should be synchronized, it's not rocket science and construction work should be done at night when there is less traffic. I know, I know, Chicago finally started to introduce four-way (green left arrow) traffic lights lately so synchronized lights will not happen before 2050.

Illinois is IMHO the dumbest state in the nation, you have highways that only have exits in one direction (for instance I-294 on Touhy and Demster) and Illinois does not require a driver's license and insurance when registering a motor vehicle.
What to expect from a state that was SELLING CDL licenses to people that couldn't even drive... Plus you have idiots who suggest potholes are not a problem since you can just drive around them... Wow!

Old 05-07-2009, 07:34 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times
Quote:
Once again typical Chicagoan, can't prove anything just makes excuses without realizing with the advent of the computer and internet you can clearly see other cities have no problem synchronizing their lights, after all it is only 2009 and we can do almost anything now, but we can't time our lights? I'm sure he/she too will get all huffy when he/she realizes that once again other cities can actually do this right. Potholes, now thats a different story, I'll be the first to admit, NY's are terrible, but again they have 20 times the traffic.

For your viewing pleasure as proof.
YouTube - Driving Manhattan to Queens

Or this one. I GUARANTEE you you cannot make this many lights here.
YouTube - Driving in New York City

Now Chicago. Welcome to the 1970s
YouTube - Chicago Night Driving

This one's beautiful. Daley are you watching? Like the guy says, what a concept! Look it can be done, oh and what do you know, smooth roads too! WOW! Who woulda thunk!
YouTube - Denver vs. Seattle: Synchronized Traffic Lights, Part I I love that guy!

I swear it's like there's a bunch of Rod Blagojevichs on here. There's video proof, photo proof, news coverage daily about how horrendous the roads are here, everyone everywhere you go talks about the roads being in bad shape, there's video and photo proof things are better and can be done and are being done in many other cities, yet, there are a few on here that just go on and on about "well you have no proof and I can prove Chicago's roads are good and signals can't be timed" Without proving anything other than you "FEEL" things here are all peachy. LOL Taking notes from Blago are we? There's taped proof, yet you plan to go on about how you're innocent? LOL! I swear I'm talking to Blago himself on here.

Last edited by NYrules; 05-07-2009 at 07:48 AM..

Old 05-07-2009, 07:44 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Ya, man. It's XXI century, traffic lights in the third largest city in the US should be synchronized, it's not rocket science and construction work should be done at night when there is less traffic. I know, I know, Chicago finally started to introduce four-way (green left arrow) traffic lights lately so synchronized lights will not happen before 2050.

Illinois is IMHO the dumbest state in the nation, you have highways that only have exits in one direction (for instance I-294 on Touhy and Demster) and Illinois does not require a driver's license and insurance when registering a motor vehicle.
What to expect from a state that was SELLING CDL licenses to people that couldn't even drive... Plus you have idiots who suggest potholes are not a problem since you can just drive around them... Wow!

1. Chicago does have timed traffic lights in many areas, including right outside my apartment.

2. The last three cities ive lived in, St. Louis, Atlanta, and Chicago, all have exits in one direction.

3. The 'state' was not selling CDL's, elected officials were. If you didnt notice, they went to jail.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:15 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times
Quote:
Also another thing I agree with Ma about is why do you need to block off a lane of traffic in Channahon on I-55 when you're working down near Coal City or Gardner and won't be up in Channahon for weeks or months? I saw this time and time again over the years when I would have to travel from Bloomington to Chicago on a weekly basis. I will give Blago credit where its due, once he became governor that was the end of that as he wouldn't stay down in Springfield if his life depended on it, so he would have his limo driver drive him back and forth to and from Chicago, so while he was in office at least, I did see that improve and no longer saw blockades up for 10 miles to work in an area about a block long. Besides, those blockades if you ever look are rented out to the state by some private company, so who do you suppose is footing the bill on the rent for those suckers? HMMMM??? Anyways, someone moving along at 65 mph in Channahon will have no impact on workers 10 miles south of there. Lastly, if work does have to be done, do it at night. Believe it or not with what? 600,000 more people losing their jobs last month alone in this country, I'm sure there are 1,000 workers out there who would be willing to work graveyard when traffic is at it's lightest thus impacting daylight's heavy traffic the least. And before I hear, they can't see what they're doing then, or what not, again it's 2009, thats what big spot lights were invented for.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Once again typical Chicagoan, can't prove anything just makes excuses without realizing with the advent of the computer and internet you can clearly see other cities have no problem synchronizing their lights, after all it is only 2009 and we can do almost anything now, but we can't time our lights? I'm sure he/she too will get all huffy when he/she realizes that once again other cities can actually do this right. Potholes, now thats a different story, I'll be the first to admit, NY's are terrible, but again they have 20 times the traffic.

I swear it's like there's a bunch of Rod Blagojevichs on here. There's video proof, photo proof, news coverage daily about how horrendous the roads are here, everyone everywhere you go talks about the roads being in bad shape, there's video and photo proof things are better and can be done and are being done in many other cities, yet, there are a few on here that just go on and on about "well you have no proof and I can prove Chicago's roads are good and signals can't be timed" Without proving anything other than you "FEEL" things here are all peachy. LOL Taking notes from Blago are we? There's taped proof, yet you plan to go on about how you're innocent? LOL! I swear I'm talking to Blago himself on here.
NY, you have to remember, this is Chicago. Most of them are hick transplants from small towns in Iowa, Kentucky, Indiana and Wisconsin. Most of them haven't been anywhere and haven't seen anything. And even if so they have this Midwestern, conceited perspective that makes them only see negatives so they can justify their love of Chicago agai.
Shortly, the rule here is: if it does not exist in Chicago, it does not exist at all. We all know that the world stopped and waitied for Chicago to appear on the map so Chicagoans could come up with all the smartest inventions. There is no dumber and more parochial place than this.

Last edited by dementor; 05-07-2009 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago