Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:23 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
1. Chicago does have timed traffic lights in many areas, including right outside my apartment.

2. The last three cities ive lived in, St. Louis, Atlanta, and Chicago, all have exits in one direction.

3. The 'state' was not selling CDL's, elected officials were. If you didnt notice, they went to jail.

1. Yeah, right. Probably one light as a breathtaking, world-famous experiment.. Your own response to soccermom proves that.

2. So... dum and dumber. Do you chose your cities this way or they chose you?

3. Of course the state could not sell anything, it is not a person. The same way state does not build anything, people working for the state, including your elected officials, do. So yeah, State of Illinois was in business of selling fake CDL licenses to unqualified, often illegal persons. Up to this day State of Illinois allows to register a car w/o a valid license and proof of insurance. Pathetic and very dumb.

BTS I know Ryan went to jail, but only because certain Brooklyn attorney looked into this affair. Anyway you look at it, it is pretty pathetic when you realize you routinelly elect common criminals to the office. Like I said, Illinois is the dumbest place in known Universe.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:26 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
1. Yeah, right. Probably one light as a breathtaking, world-famous experiment.. Your own response to soccermom proves that.

2. So... dum and dumber. Do you chose your cities this way or they chose you?

3. Of course the state could not sell anything, it is not a person. The same way state does not build anything, people working for the state, including your elected officials, do. So yeah, State of Illinois was in business of selling fake CDL licenses to unqualified, often illegal persons. Up to this day State of Illinois allows to register a car w/o a valid license and proof of insurance. Pathetic and very dumb.

BTS I know Ryan went to jail, but only because certain Brooklyn attorney looked into this affair. Anyway you look at it, it is pretty pathetic when you realize you routinelly elect common criminals to the office. Like I said, Illinois is the dumbest place in known Universe.
I dont think I responded to soccermom.

Besides that, everything you have mentioned you act as though is only done in the state of Illinois. Guess what, there are ****ty roads everywhere just as there are inept and corrupt politicians everywhere.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:55 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
I dont think I responded to soccermom.

Besides that, everything you have mentioned you act as though is only done in the state of Illinois. Guess what, there are ****ty roads everywhere just as there are inept and corrupt politicians everywhere.
Not as bad as here. Chicago also happens to the third largest city in the largest economy in the world.... Can I expect more?
Most importantly, I pay my taxes in Illinois so I don't care about roads in Nebrasca or Tijuana that much.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:23 AM

11 posts, read 21,669 times
As for the snide remark about Unicorns and all, I really don't appreciate it. This is the one thing I hate about this area, you come up with a solution to a problem or point out that other cities already have corrected things like moving cars down a street smoothly and you get made fun of for it? What is that? Yes, I do expect to see safe smooth streets, and stoplights that are set up in a manner to keep traffic moving smoothly down a street without haveing to stop at nearly everyone. As for the comment about stop lights being timed outside of your apartment Skip, timed is one thing. Anyone can set a string of lights to all change red to green at the same time, thats a no brainer, and thats what we have here. What does that encourage tho? It tells drivers as soon as the light turns green floor it and speed as fast as you can to make it though as many lights as you can before they all change back to red again. Thats not safe, yet that is what the city is encouraging. My recent trip to the twin cities was a pleasent experience other than the weather but their lights will turn green as you approach them so there is no need to speed as fast as you can which no one does they all just move along at the posted speed limit and the city rewards the drivers for it by giving them green lights all along their path as they go. With computers today anythng is possible and there are programs the city can purchase to synchronize all the signals. I've heard its called progressive sequencing I think? I read it a while ago, on here I think.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:55 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermom1 View Post
As for the snide remark about Unicorns and all, I really don't appreciate it. This is the one thing I hate about this area, you come up with a solution to a problem or point out that other cities already have corrected things like moving cars down a street smoothly and you get made fun of for it? What is that? Yes, I do expect to see safe smooth streets, and stoplights that are set up in a manner to keep traffic moving smoothly down a street without haveing to stop at nearly everyone. As for the comment about stop lights being timed outside of your apartment Skip, timed is one thing. Anyone can set a string of lights to all change red to green at the same time, thats a no brainer, and thats what we have here. What does that encourage tho? It tells drivers as soon as the light turns green floor it and speed as fast as you can to make it though as many lights as you can before they all change back to red again. Thats not safe, yet that is what the city is encouraging. My recent trip to the twin cities was a pleasent experience other than the weather but their lights will turn green as you approach them so there is no need to speed as fast as you can which no one does they all just move along at the posted speed limit and the city rewards the drivers for it by giving them green lights all along their path as they go. With computers today anythng is possible and there are programs the city can purchase to synchronize all the signals. I've heard its called progressive sequencing I think? I read it a while ago, on here I think.

A while ago back in 2008 I called and spoke to a CDOT engineer, his name is Nick A. and I'm not going to give his last name in full as I don't want him getting in trouble, but in his exact words, "Chicago's traffic signals are very antiquated and the city could purchase new software to have the lights operate in a manner like many other cities do, but it chooses to spend the money on other things like planters and such" So, you can call the city yourself and talk to an engineer, it can be done, but aldermen don't want to spend the money on it. As for IDOT, they do an ok job with the signals I'll give them that. If one is malfunctioning where it's out of sync or the green left turn arrows are coming on for no reason when there's no one in the left hand turn lanes or the walk signs are coming on for no reason causing little side streets to change to green for no reason stopping main thouroughfares, you can easily report the problems here Illinois Department of Transportation and I have to admit IDOT does a pretty good job at getting the problem fixed. CDOT on the other hand, UGGHH!

Old 05-07-2009, 12:40 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago