Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:15 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
I gave you an example of a very bad road and you come back with a "witty" comment asking if I only drive there. No, terrible potholes are present everywhere in Chicago outside of the Loop. Should I take pictures and note the location on each and every one that I encounter? Why you guys are so defensive?

And that's what's really scarry. First of all the fact that other streets are even worse does not make Fullerton in LP any better. The second, keep in mind that I am not bringing up some remote street on the South Side but a major street in one ot the most prominent neighborhoods in Chicago. If the city can't fix this one what about others in all areas where houses cost few hundreads thousand less???

Potholes in Chicago are a real nightmare. I can't believe all those tax-dollars that are wasted here. The story I was told by the natives is that the roads are bad because the contractors that did them stole money by using a substandard mix. Knowing Chicago I would not be suprised it this was true. How about that salt that "disappeared" this winter from city's garages?

There would be too many streets to name that are a complete joke. Look at Mannheim near O'hare or Dempster in Park Ridge, Niles, and Skokie, or La Grange Road in Orland Park, or 159th in the African American areas (Harvey and Markham) or any of the roads in the African American areas for that matter (apparently the state doesn't think they deserve nice roads at all) or lets look at the bombed out stretch on Cicero from well everywhere on Cicero, or lets look at Harlem in Bridgeview which is at a near standstill all day long thanks to it's 1950s design and is so rough you better hold onto your coffee when youre driving, or lets look at the complete crap Skokie Blvd. where this piece of crap is actually sinking so bad now (2009) you can't go over it at more than 10 mph without your muffler hitting the pavement and its so bad you can see it from outter space Google Maps , or look at the roads around the United Center... Holy crap! The list can go on and on so I can't go on. It's too frustrating. I pay the highest taxes in the state and nearly the entire country to live with this? Come on.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:16 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
There would be too many streets to name that are a complete joke. Look at Mannheim near O'hare or Dempster in Park Ridge, Niles, and Skokie, or La Grange Road in Orland Park, or 159th in the African American areas (Harvey and Markham) or any of the roads in the African American areas for that matter (apparently the state doesn't think they deserve nice roads at all) or lets look at the bombed out stretch on Cicero from well everywhere on Cicero, or lets look at Harlem in Bridgeview which is at a near standstill all day long and is so rough you better hold onto your coffee when youre driving, or lets look at the complete crap Skokie Blvd. where this piece of crap is actually sinking so bad you can't go over it at more than 10 mph without your muffler hitting the pavement and its so bad you can see it from outter space Google Maps , or look at the roads around the United Center... Holy crap! The list can go on and on so I can't go on. It's too frustrating. I pay the highest taxes in the state and nearly the entire country to live with this? Come on.
Highest taxes in the country? How bout that 3% flat rate income tax? Its lower than any other state which levies an income tax. For most people, they pay more in income tax than sales tax.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Highest taxes in the country? How bout that 3% flat rate income tax? Its lower than any other state which levies an income tax. For most people, they pay more in income tax than sales tax.
Well hold onto you ankles cuz Quinns gonna fix that. And how about property taxes? I'm paying about $6k a year for a three bedroom house with a 1/5 acre? Thats like NYC levels. Then lets not forget that while the state has sales tax, so does the local jurisdiction. In Orland now its over 10% I know it says 9.5% tax at Wal Mart and then it says tax 2 2.5 % whatever that is on the receipt, so after I asked what that is, I was told that is the village's tax. WTF is that?

Old 05-06-2009, 11:24 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Now wait a minute...

You used your 'example' of I-70 as an example for the entire stretch of Missouri.

So, by your logic, I can use the loop as an 'example' of Chicago.

Do you understand the problem with your example now?
NYRules,

Your going to ignore this aren't you?

Old 05-06-2009, 11:26 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times
Quote:
There would be too many streets to name that are a complete joke. Look at Mannheim near O'hare or Dempster in Park Ridge, Niles, and Skokie, or La Grange Road in Orland Park, or 159th in the African American areas (Harvey and Markham) or any of the roads in the African American areas for that matter (apparently the state doesn't think they deserve nice roads at all) or lets look at the bombed out stretch on Cicero from well everywhere on Cicero,

Yup. Cicero near the 90/94 exits down to six corners is my favorite. Wow! Such a busy, critical section yet noon bother to send crews to fix the road... Wow!
Or that stretch of Touhy (outside of Chicago city limits) close to O'Hare, under an overpass. 5 mph is way to fast there. Like I said three rims $350 a pop. Just Peachy.

Quote:
The list can go on and on so I can't go on. It's too frustrating. I pay the highest taxes in the state and nearly the entire country to live with this? Come on.
I have a much longer list of things that are utterly frustrating in Chicago yet locals claim "it is not so bad" or "some other places have it worse" like it was any excuse for city's incompetence.
But, Chicago is a great city...

Last edited by dementor; 05-06-2009 at 11:35 AM..

Old 05-06-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Yup. Cicero near the 90/94 exits down to six corners is my favorite. Wow!
Or that stretch of Touhy (outside of Chicago city limits) close to O'Hare, under an overpass. 5 mph is way to fast there. Like I said three rims $350 a pop. Just Peachy.

I have a much longer list of things that are utterly frustrating in Chicago yet locals claim "it is not so good", "some other places have it worse" which are supposed to be sufficient excuses for city's incompetence.
But, Chicago is a great city...
Dude, we get it. You dont think Chicago is a great city. Chances are, you are in the minority in your opinion.

Thats cool, I lived in Atlanta and hated it. Doesnt mean I feel the need to bash it 24/7.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:32 AM

When it comes to a state's roads, here is where it gets alot of it's income from and take a look for yourselves. This map is a cool tool to use. Now MO roads are overall in good shape and look at how much less residents pay for those roads through gasoline taxes. Now my question is, IL is right on par with WI's gas taxes, yet our roads suck this bad? Where's all the money going? Me senses some corrupt politicians out there. The best and worst state for gas, cigarettes, beer and sales taxes - MSN Money

Old 05-06-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
When it comes to a state's roads, here is where it gets alot of it's income from and take a look for yourselves. This map is a cool tool to use. Now MO roads are overall in good shape and look at how much less residents pay for those roads through gasoline taxes. Now my question is, IL is right on par with WI's gas taxes, yet our roads suck this bad? Where's all the money going? Me senses some corrupt politicians out there. The best and worst state for gas, cigarettes, beer and sales taxes - MSN Money
Again, you claim Missouri's roads are in good shape and you are simply incorrect.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:38 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times
Quote:
Dude, we get it. You dont think Chicago is a great city. Chances are, you are in the minority in your opinion.

Thats cool, I lived in Atlanta and hated it. Doesnt mean I feel the need to bash it 24/7.
"Bash it"? Look at the f...ing roads! Am I imagining those d..n potholes and huge bill for my rims?
You know, you are right. Let's talk about how good Chicago roads are compared to Kabul and the Olympics that will fix that all.
Happy?

Old 05-06-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Again, you claim Missouri's roads are in good shape and you are simply incorrect.
I've been down there many times, and sorry, MO's roads while not perfect, are no where near as bad as this and comparatively speaking what Missourians pay to drive on those roads vs. what we pay to drive on ours, MO's road should be far worse than IL's and that just isn't the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago