Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 09:53 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,182 times

Advertisements

Here we go again. Does anyone know if there is any rule about the number of tickets I can receive for an expired plate registration? One per day?? I got four while I was on travel (over six days). that's $200 I could easily find other ways to spend. I can see getting one and then maybe a week to rectify. One per day seems harsh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 09:58 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,484 times
I believe its one per day. I got a ticket per day for 4 days straight for a couple offenses while my car was parked. So I sent them in and contested saying that I received a ticket a few days ago for the same offense. I received a response back saying that does not matter. Personally I think its bs there should be some kind of window ie a week or 30 days for those kind of offenses.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:00 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Wow. We need to steal our city government back from the revenue thugs. The Aldermen just keep nickel and diming us beyond belief, and ridiculous that we keep voting them back in to power. People seem to mentally separate these shady city operations from Daley and the City Council for some reason, but they are to blame.

That said, I forgot to renew my plates one time (I moved, and the sticker application never made it to my new address), and I got away with it for four months before an astute CPD squad pulled me over.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:15 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
I am fairly certain you had the money to renew your plates. For whatever reason you decided not to in a timely manner and went out of town. You live in an area that has many cops,firefighters, and other city workers that live there. I guess you learned a lesson.

I have no sympathy for you.

There are ways to get out of all of them but one,however I am not going to tell you how.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:31 PM

You have an unusual knack for always saying the most annoying thing possible. As always thanks for the lecture, especially since your sympathy was so important to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I am fairly certain you had the money to renew your plates. For whatever reason you decided not to in a timely manner and went out of town. You live in an area that has many cops,firefighters, and other city workers that live there. I guess you learned a lesson.

I have no sympathy for you.

There are ways to get out of all of them but one,however I am not going to tell you how.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:36 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Here we go again. Does anyone know if there is any rule about the number of tickets I can receive for an expired plate registration? One per day?? I got four while I was on travel (over six days). that's $200 I could easily find other ways to spend. I can see getting one and then maybe a week to rectify. One per day seems harsh.
In a state where they mail out the reminder to renew your plates 60 days in advance and where you can renew your plates on-line in less than ONE minute, it is hard to feel a lot of sympathy.

But then, I might be missing your point. You have $200 to pay fines but not the $78 to renew your plates.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:32 PM

I'm overwhelmed at how useful this information is. I asked if there was a limit to the frequency of a fine in a specific circumstance. I didn't ask for sympathy or complain that the process that led me to be fined somehow was unfair or wasn't clear. I also didn't mention anything about not having enough money. Obviously, I just forgot to renew my plates. I didn't blame anyone; I merely asked if it was worth fighting for a reduction in fines based on current rules and/or norms of the Department of Revenue. It didn't strike me as unreasonable that there might be some limit on the number or frequency of penalties that can accrue for a given infraction, and I thought I had heard or read this anecdotally before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In a state where they mail out the reminder to renew your plates 60 days in advance and where you can renew your plates on-line in less than ONE minute, it is hard to feel a lot of sympathy.

But then, I might be missing your point. You have $200 to pay fines but not the $78 to renew your plates.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:42 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
You need to make up a good excuse (DON'T say you were OUT OF TOWN)and challenge every single ticket. The thing is more than likely you are going to have to take off multiple days of work to do so. If you have personal time to take and do not mind the headache (and wasting personal time off to do this) that this process is going to involve-challenge every ticket and get a hearing.

Maybe you will get lucky and have all the hearings set on one day or multiple in the same day...

Renew you plate registration right away. Like tomorrow-in person.

You would be better off renewing your plates and sending a copy of the receipt to challenge each ticket, if that does not work you might as well pay the fines.

If your job offers a legal plan and you are enrolled you might be able to have a group lawyer go to the hearing for you...

If you do not, I would recommend enrolling in a plan on your own for the future:

Such as:
http://www.legalplans.com/

Last edited by Avengerfire; 02-18-2009 at 12:02 AM..

Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 AM

thank you. this is exactly what I needed to know. Definitely not worth it or possible for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
You need to make up a good excuse (DON'T say you were OUT OF TOWN)and challenge every single ticket. The thing is more than likely you are going to have to take off multiple days of work to do so. If you have personal time to take and do not mind the headache (and wasting personal time off to do this) that this process is going to involve-challenge every ticket and get a hearing.

Maybe you will get lucky and have all the hearings set on one day or multiple in the same day...

Renew you plate registration right away. Like tomorrow-in person.

You would be better off renewing your plates and sending a copy of the receipt to challenge each ticket, if that does not work you might as well pay the fines.

If your job offers a legal plan and you are enrolled you might be able to have a group lawyer go to the hearing for you...

If you do not, I would recommend enrolling in a plan on your own for the future:

Such as:
http://www.legalplans.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago