Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 85,579 times

Advertisements

So yesterday i got a ticket for expired license plates when i went out, and as i was leaving this morning to renew them, i ended up getting another one, this time in front of my house. Is it possible to get two tickets for the same violation (expired license plates) even if is not within 24 hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 11:46 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,470 times
Yes, I had it happen to me a couple of times. They can give you a ticket at 11:59PM and 12:00am. Which I think is complete BS as its not really doable to get most violations taken care of in a few hour window. I contested a few that I received and was told that it was not within 'grounds to contest'.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:58 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krane288 View Post
So yesterday i got a ticket for expired license plates when i went out, and as i was leaving this morning to renew them, i ended up getting another one, this time in front of my house. Is it possible to get two tickets for the same violation (expired license plates) even if is not within 24 hours?
Yes, In Illinois (I used to live near Peoria) an unlicensed/unregistered vehicle is not allowed to be driven on the road, period. So, every time police spot you, you can get another ticket.
Something to keep in mind - the ticketing officer has the option of either ticketing you and letting you go or to have the vehicle towed, since it technically is not allowed to be driven.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:07 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,416 times
Quote:
Yes, that has happened to my husband as well. One thing I wanted to mention though, is that if you renew online and then get a ticket before you receive the sticker in the mail (or put it on your car), you can use the confirmation page from when you renewed online as grounds to contest the ticket. That happened to me this year and the ticket was dismissed when I contested through the mail. I make sure to print that confirmation page whenever I renew online, just in case, and I keep it in the car until the sticker arrives if my plates are expired.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:02 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,571 times
For Expired Registration you can receive 2 different kinds of tickets. One is a State Citation, this would be issued to you if you were driving and some form of bond would have to be posted. It's the same kind of ticket as a speeder, etc. If the car is parked, you could get a parking ticket since you were not driving it and this would be a violation of local or municipal ordinance and no bond would have to be posted. Which kind did you get? Under State Law this is not a towable offense. But under some towns local, it could be deemed towable. In IL it is viewed as expired registration, so you are still viewed as having legal registration, it's just expired. It's not viewed like you are without registration. Also in IL, your D/L can be expired for a year before it's viewed as No Valid and you can be arrested, under a year is just a ticket.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 85,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
For Expired Registration you can receive 2 different kinds of tickets. One is a State Citation, this would be issued to you if you were driving and some form of bond would have to be posted. It's the same kind of ticket as a speeder, etc. If the car is parked, you could get a parking ticket since you were not driving it and this would be a violation of local or municipal ordinance and no bond would have to be posted. Which kind did you get? Under State Law this is not a towable offense. But under some towns local, it could be deemed towable. In IL it is viewed as expired registration, so you are still viewed as having legal registration, it's just expired. It's not viewed like you are without registration. Also in IL, your D/L can be expired for a year before it's viewed as No Valid and you can be arrested, under a year is just a ticket.
They were both while I was parking...these people are quick to get your money. Plates expired in 10/10 and I quickly got two tickets in less than a day.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:48 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
Quote:
They were both while I was parking...these people are quick to get your money. Plates expired in 10/10 and I quickly got two tickets in less than a day.
And some people are quick to shift them blame off of themself. Ah the beauty of procrastination.

Why are you complaining? You had ample time to renew the plates.

You can probably get one of them thrown out at an in person hearing by showing proof that you renewed the plates.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 42,207 times
Hi, Can someone advise us?
I had renewed our license plate and got the sticker from IL. We were little busy and forgot to put the new sticker on the plate until 2 days after the expiry date, when I saw the city of Chicago gave us the ticket for expired plates. We weren't driving that car. It was just parked on the street. Can we appeal this? It sounds so unfair. We renewed the plates. We weren't driving the vehicle. It was just only two days that we didn't put the new sticker on.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:55 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
^Any car parked on a public street must be in driving condition and registered, so the fact that you weren't driving the vehicle won't help you. The question is whether registration is like insurance -- where the important part is that you have it and you can prove it later to have the infraction removed. I'm not sure of the answer, but others might know better.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:13 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ystone View Post
Hi, Can someone advise us?
I had renewed our license plate and got the sticker from IL. We were little busy and forgot to put the new sticker on the plate until 2 days after the expiry date, when I saw the city of Chicago gave us the ticket for expired plates. We weren't driving that car. It was just parked on the street. Can we appeal this? It sounds so unfair. We renewed the plates. We weren't driving the vehicle. It was just only two days that we didn't put the new sticker on.
Can you prove that you paid the registration fee somehow? See my post above about the ticket I got after I paid for the registration but before I received the sticker. If you have proof that the registration was paid and contest the ticket, I think there's a good chance they will rule in your favor. That's what happened in my case, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago