Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 9,462 times

Advertisements

I am with my boyfriend who had moved to NYC from Chicago to be with me a little over a year ago. Now he is mentioning how he's over NYer's attitudes, the hussle, the stress and wants to move back to Chicago where his friends are and life is much more relaxed (and the rent is cheaper). I've been in New York for 15 years (I'm 30 now) but this is my second home. I have a job here that I havent been layed off from, and if I drop my job as a graphic designer for the fashion industry to move to Chicago during this economic crisis, I feel as though I'm screwing myself over. I looked on some job boards and there's not much fashion jobs in Chicago! My boyfriend said that the rent will be 200$ each instead of the 1000$ each we pay in NY and he said life is more relaxed there and would be good for me because I am always stressed.
I know I'm 30, but in NY, we don't really have to grow up but I admit going out to bars and clubs, hussling for connection to get that small "fame" is getting old. I'm scared that if I move to Chicago though that I am going to fall into depression from the change of pace of life. I'm also scared that because of the economy, I might not find a job and I might have to start working as a waitress (not that there's anything wrong with that but that's like going backwards for me as a career step).
He's going to move back to Wicker Park, which reminded me of Williamsburg BK where theres cute cafes and shops etc. and he really wants me to move there with him, or we'll go back to the long distance thing, and our relationship will probably fizzle away and become memories. I can go both ways, get over my boyfrien and keep hussling in NY, or buckle down and try something new in Chicago. I'm just really scared of things that are unfamiliar with me......any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 06:30 PM

279 posts, read 759,966 times
I seriously doubt that you can find an apartment with rent for $200 a person in Wicker Park. That seems to be orders of magnitude too low, but should definitely be lower than in NYC.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:47 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue View Post
I seriously doubt that you can find an apartment with rent for $200 a person in Wicker Park. That seems to be orders of magnitude too low, but should definitely be lower than in NYC.
It is near impossible to find rent for $200 each anywhere in the city unless you live with like at least three other people. You might be able to do $200 each with two people in an absolute ghetto, but who in their right mind would move to one?

Old 02-02-2009, 06:57 PM

527 posts, read 1,244,922 times
For Brits too.
Chicago Restaurants | Restaurants & Bars in Chicago - Yahoo! Travel Guide UK

Old 02-03-2009, 01:09 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyshys View Post
I am with my boyfriend who had moved to NYC from Chicago to be with me a little over a year ago. Now he is mentioning how he's over NYer's attitudes, the hussle, the stress and wants to move back to Chicago where his friends are and life is much more relaxed (and the rent is cheaper). I've been in New York for 15 years (I'm 30 now) but this is my second home. I have a job here that I havent been layed off from, and if I drop my job as a graphic designer for the fashion industry to move to Chicago during this economic crisis, I feel as though I'm screwing myself over. I looked on some job boards and there's not much fashion jobs in Chicago! My boyfriend said that the rent will be 200$ each instead of the 1000$ each we pay in NY and he said life is more relaxed there and would be good for me because I am always stressed.
I know I'm 30, but in NY, we don't really have to grow up but I admit going out to bars and clubs, hussling for connection to get that small "fame" is getting old. I'm scared that if I move to Chicago though that I am going to fall into depression from the change of pace of life. I'm also scared that because of the economy, I might not find a job and I might have to start working as a waitress (not that there's anything wrong with that but that's like going backwards for me as a career step).
He's going to move back to Wicker Park, which reminded me of Williamsburg BK where theres cute cafes and shops etc. and he really wants me to move there with him, or we'll go back to the long distance thing, and our relationship will probably fizzle away and become memories. I can go both ways, get over my boyfrien and keep hussling in NY, or buckle down and try something new in Chicago. I'm just really scared of things that are unfamiliar with me......any suggestions?
It sounds to me like your dilemma is far more deeply rooted in personal rather than practical considerations. Accordingly, I don't know that we can help you there.

However, two practical considerations:

1) Your BF hasn't looked for an apartment around here lately if he thinks you can get by in Wicker Park paying $200 each in rent per month. Bump that up to at least $400 each if you want a one-bedroom, or $600 each if you want a two-bedroom. If you want a place with all the bells and whistles, you're right back up to $1,000 each -- but it will be spacious and well-appointed rather than the phone booth I suspect you live in now. If you can stand being crammed into a studio together, then bet on $400 each.

2) Even in the best of times, you will find very little work in the fashion industry here. If you can apply your graphic design skills to some other field, you'd have a better chance finding something here that is befitting of your skill set.

Quite honestly in these times I wouldn't give up a job without already having another job lined up. I guess now it's up to which you want to give up: the security of your job and familiarity of your current environment, or your current relationship. You'll have to answer that one yourself, but it sounds like you're already leaning toward one versus the other.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:29 AM

258 posts, read 1,020,738 times
I lived in Wicker Park for 5 years.
If you do the homework, you'll more than likely be paying around 350-500 each for a two bedroom.
Look in UK Village and Bucktown, anywhere around Ashland/division just stay East California unless you're south of North ave.
Once you're looking in Humboltd park, you're second guessing an area that is being gentrified but in a recession, those answers won't come quickly.

Also, as for the economy you're right, you'll more than likely struggle to find something.
The situation everywhere sucks. That's the hard part.
I live in New Orleans but am planning on moving back home once the firestorm is over.
How long with that last? I can't say but I know I'm better off living in the tourist economy till the ship rights itself.

If you've got questions about WP feel free to ask in a PM, I only venture around the Chicago boards every few days vs. the NOLA one daily.
(I like to ***** about our crime rate and lack of competent police and mayor)

Old 02-03-2009, 07:27 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
There isn't really a "fashion industry" in Chicago to speak of. But what we do have is a lot of advertising agencies. And according to my wife (who is a former graphic designer that works in advertising), the best graphic design jobs are web-related these days. I'd highly recommend getting web experience if you want to be a graphic designer in Chicago.

At one time I faced the New York vs. Chicago decision (I had good opportunities in both cities), but chose to stay here to be closer to family. The opportunity to move to New York with large pay raises has come up multiple times throughout our life in Chicago, but we are happy here and will not be moving. There are many things I like about New York over Chicago, but affordability is a MAJOR issue. Even with our salaries doubled we would still be struggling to have the lifestyle in New York that we have here. And honestly, I don't feel like I've compromised much at all to stay in Chicago. This is a great city that has offered wonderful career oppotunities for both my wife and me.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:24 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,347 times
Quote:
I must agree, even in Kansas City (where I am) you would bunking with roaches at $200 a month each. So your BBF has already lost some credibility with me there. But I'll overlook that for the moment.

He wants to go back to a place he's familiar, and where he has a large support group of friends. Understandable.

But he's asking you to give up a job you like and have worked hard for as well as all of your friends and support network for a new life that holds more than a bit of uncertainty. That's asking a lot, IMHO. What's he bringing to the table?

Personal question (feel free to ignore because it's none of my business) -- Do the two of you plan on getting married? Are you both looking at this as a "WE" move? That is, are you planning a life together and talking about what's best for that life as a couple and maybe even a family? Or is this a "This is what I want, and you're welcome to come along" kind of thing.

If it were the former, I would consider it, but honestly, only if marriage were part of the package, if he had a job lined up that would support both of us while I found work, and if I thought that the plan was a step forward for our relationship and our future together.

But if I wasn't considering marrying him, or if I thought it was the latter, it would be a big "Hell-to-the-No."

Old 02-03-2009, 03:58 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
Quote:
If your BF thinks that you guys can find an apartment in Wicker Park for $400 he's delusional. I live very close to there now and know for a fact they do not exist. I would think very hard about making that leap, giving up a job and a city which you have spent 15 years making your home for this guy. For the record, I don't really think Wicker Park and Williamsburg are all that comparable.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:37 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
I'm 30 in Chicago and go out all the time. Life may be more relaxed here, but certainly don't think that means small town attitudes where people do wholesome things all the time like 1950's. I'm out till 4am all the time during the week, and bars here are open until 5am on Saturdays. There's nothing wrong with anyone here in their 30's or 40's going out and tearing it up and having fun. And I'm talking cosmopolitan, clubby, dive or whatever bar you're looking for. I feel like some people think the Midwest has sports bars and neighborhood pubs and that's where it ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago