Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 11:11 AM

223 posts, read 757,953 times

Advertisements

This is very interesting:

It looks like the original Chicago Tribune article stated that neighbors did not call, but now that line is mysterioulsy missing from the current version ....

Google Cache:

"accustomed to gunfire" site source:chicago_tribune - Google News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 11:14 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTChiStyle View Post
seems to be a lot of violent crime / murder in the city this year.... i think we are #1 on the murder list...
#1 total murders in terms of raw numbers, but not anywhere near number 1 for muder RATE, which is calculated per capita.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:22 AM

223 posts, read 757,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Why not? Domestic disputes are not dictated by geographic location; its universal. This is why whenever a crime happens in a "nice" area you get people on the news saying "I didnt think this could happen here." Guess what, you don't live in a bubble and crime dosent know boundaries...especially something like violent domestic disputes. Who was that father a year or two back who killed his wife and kids? They were from a vanilla suburb. Happens all the time.
You are being oblivious of probability/statistics. Yes, domestic disputes can happen anywhere, it's just that some locations (for whatever reason) they occur more frequently, that's a *fact*.

Somebody else mentioned that in "nice areas" many times domestic disputes are not reported, which might be true, but I find it hard to digest that in a "nice area" gunshots would be ignored/ not reported

Old 10-27-2008, 12:11 PM

725 posts, read 1,850,789 times
A guy form this neighborhood (I think it was W. Lawndale) was talking on the radio this morning about this. He said that police only respond to phone calls from this neighborhood if it involves drugs or weapons. They never come for a report of gunfire, domestic disputes, etc. That's so sad. (And even sadder that residents don't feel the need to call when they hear gunfire because they are so used to it.)

Old 10-27-2008, 12:18 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,512,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
A guy form this neighborhood (I think it was W. Lawndale) was talking on the radio this morning about this. He said that police only respond to phone calls from this neighborhood if it involves drugs or weapons. They never come for a report of gunfire, domestic disputes, etc. That's so sad. (And even sadder that residents don't feel the need to call when they hear gunfire because they are so used to it.)
Somebody was listening to Eddie and Jobo this morning lol! I heard the same call.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:44 PM

725 posts, read 1,850,789 times
^ Lol. I only put them on because I was flipping stations and heard them talking about this.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:29 PM

569 posts, read 1,820,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
^ Lol. I only put them on because I was flipping stations and heard them talking about this.
It's ok. Nobody is questioning your fine taste in morning radio broadcasting

Old 10-27-2008, 07:13 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandre View Post
This is very interesting:

It looks like the original Chicago Tribune article stated that neighbors did not call, but now that line is mysterioulsy missing from the current version ....

Google Cache:

"accustomed to gunfire" site source:chicago_tribune - Google News
1984 buddy 1984

Old 10-27-2008, 07:15 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
...Also, Barbour's family is claiming William Barbour is innocent...
Dont they all?

Old 10-27-2008, 07:36 PM

43 posts, read 172,802 times
When I heard this my heart just dropped.... I have a young son (around that age) and God knows... I cant even begin to breathe with just the mere fact ..If my son was missing....

Do you know who I blame... I blame our so called justice system for letting a monstrous person like William out of jail with an attempted murder. I seriously think he did this... Look at his rap sheet... He was arrested and charged with attempted murder, car jacking... look at the similarities in this triple murder homicide. Jason SUV was missing and we have 3 murders. My Lord...

And what is the deal with William's sick ass mother. I wanted to literally jump through my computer screen and put her ass in the damn chocked hold. She for one declares her son did not do this AS IF she was with him 24/7. That alone tells me allot. For two I swear when I heard this I wanted to dish out a glob of spit in her damn face... She had the audacity to say to the police and other people "QUIT HARASSING HER FAMILY... and went on to heartless say her family member had to take off from work because of the harassment." WTF... 3 people are dead and you are complaining about a so called "harassment" unbelievable...

I also wondered to myself what took Jennifer sister so long to come out public and beg for the safe return of her son... I would have been on T.V. within hours of the other 2 prior murders... but who knows what she was thinking I can not imagine.

Also, I saw on CNN a neighbor said he heard William say to Julia at a bus stop on morning that he will kidnap her son.

The police can only keep some one in their custody past the 48 hours if they have enough evidence to link that person to the homicides
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago