Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 02:52 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
YIKES! That's inappropriate.

I am certain that many were thinking that the $100,000.00 reward money should have been used to find a safer place for her loved ones to live. Really, does anyone want to live in a neighborhood where gunshots are so commonplace, they don't react.
How is that inappropriate? It's been widely reported that her mother didn't want to move away from her home, her friends and her church. it's hardly my business to tell someone where to live and while if I were rich and famous, I would want the best for my family, I wouldn't try to force them against their will to move to somewhere I considered appropriate as the pp suggested he/she would do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 03:52 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
I'm telling you, if you're black and grew up in an iffy, lower income neighborhood, you just can't freaking win. if you have enough money to move out, the people in the neighborhood will call you a sell out (and you may be outcasted from that area, ie, not be able to attend the local church w/o people questioning your presence there); if you don't move out and something bad happens to you, people outside the neighborhood blame you for not moving out when you have the money! damned if you stay, damned in you leave...

seriously, there are some people that move out and don't look back, and some who feel inclined to stay and try to revitalize the area and not abandon it to the thugs. Jennifer, according to every source, offered to move her mother out, and her mother said no. some people are very proud and don't want to sponge off of their child's/relative's success. no one on this board can speak for Jennifer's mother and state her reasons for staying. maybe she actually liked the neighborhood, despite its flaws, maybe she was active in the community, or maybe she didn't want to be caught up in the Hollywood lifestyle and wanted to stay grounded. again, we don't know the situation, so there's no point in criticising Jennifer for forcibly moving her mother out of that area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago