Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:09 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,508,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
People say that about a lot of places, including Chicago in general. It's not Afghanistan. Nobody expects to get murdered. Everyone has their own threshold of tolerance but it doesn't seem totally unreasonable to me that they would live there. Do you know that particularly area very well?
I know certain parts of it well but no, not very well like I've lived there for my whole life. All I need to know is the crime rate of that area and my conversation is finished. It's common sense, no, it's not Baghdad, but it's not Paris, either. It's not a safe area for non-famous people let alone the rich and famous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 11:12 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,085,636 times
where do you live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I know certain parts of it well but no, not very well like I've lived there for my whole life. All I need to know is the crime rate of that area and my conversation is finished. It's common sense, no, it's not Baghdad, but it's not Paris, either. It's not a safe area for non-famous people let alone the rich and famous.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:14 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,363,619 times
Quote:
If I was from East Harlem and all of a sudden became rich and famous, my family would be out of there. Why? Because I have common sense. My family would then become targets for burglary, robbery, and even kidnapping and maybe even murder. Yes, I would get my family out of that neighborhood.

Don't get me wrong, I feel horrible for her. Nobody should have to go through that.
J. Hud's mother and brother weren't killed b/c they were targeted due to their relation to her, they were killed b/c Jennifer's sister married a murderous ass! AFAIK, it doesn't sound like they were ever targeted just b/c of Jennifer's fame (Jennifer has been in the public eye for years now). lots of relatives of celebs don't move out to high end areas; hell, many actual celebs stay in thier hometown also!

her mother and brother were not rich, were not famous, Jennifer was. yes, it's possible Jennifer offered to move her family out of that neighborhood, but when you've lived in an area for years, have built up a relationship w/ neighbors, it's hard to just bail out when a relative become rich and famous. and many people who live in these types of areas want to stay, to help revitalize it and don't want to just bail out and leave it behind for the thugs. maybe the family didn't want to mooch off of Jennifer's money and fame. I know if I somehow ever became wealthy, my dad wouldn't move from his area not matter if I bought him a house in the nicest part of Boston, he's been there for too long, knows it too well.

again, where this happened is irrelevant. the fact that the victims were related to a famous celeb is also irrelevant. this was not a random crime where the neighborhood could be blamed and this wasn't a crime that occurred due to Jennifer's celeb status. this was a horrific domestic abuse situation that could have happened to anyone, anywhere. it just so happens to involve a celebrity

Old 10-25-2008, 11:27 AM

473 posts, read 762,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeINIL View Post
My question is why do women continue to bring these...men into their lives, around their children and family?
Exactly! Did you see the rap sheet on this guy? In 1998 he was convicted of being in possession of a stolen motor vehicle. He pleaded guilty in 1999 for attempted murder and vehicular hijacking and served seven years in prison. He is still on parole.

What would make Julia Hudson think this guy had the makings of a great husband and father figure? What happened was a tragedy. But when you bring scumbug people into your life and your family, you're taking a chance that the consequences can be horrific and tragic.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:15 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,485,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
Anywhere, everywhere?
Not anywhere I've ever been.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:53 PM

24 posts, read 40,150 times
sad....i hope they find her newphew alive and well. whoever is responsible should be brought to justice.....i wish them well

Old 10-25-2008, 01:33 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,518,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Not anywhere I've ever been.

Well consider yourself fortunate then. I was under the impression that domestic violence/homicide is a problem that affects all corners of American society, and not just a "city thing".

That poor Jon-Benet Ramsey. She never had a chance in the mean streets of Boulder, CO.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:00 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,485,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
Well consider yourself fortunate then. I was under the impression that domestic violence/homicide is a problem that affects all corners of American society, and not just a "city thing".

That poor Jon-Benet Ramsey. She never had a chance in the mean streets of Boulder, CO.
Yes but the incidence in larger cities is way higher...every nite on the news here is pretty much the same stuff. How many times has it happened in Boulder? Maybe once in a lifetime?...

Old 10-25-2008, 02:10 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,363,038 times
It is ridiculous to blame the location on this type of crime. Those who state that crime from a "family member" would happen regardeless of the location, are correct.
I don't know if this actually happened in Englewood, no official word out on that yet, that I can find, but IT DOESN'T MATTER! This was not a random act! We've seen enough bashing of Englewood here, and very few, if any, suggestions or ideas about improving conditions for the kids in that neighborhood. I Challenge all Chicagoans to arise and unite; to befreind and mentor the children of the neighborhoods that you dislike so much, to volunteer in the schools and parks and libraries and community centers in these neighborhoods; to understand, once and for all, that the artifical divisions of race, and culture, and economic status CAN AND SHOULD be abolished!

Old 10-25-2008, 02:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,325,555 times
Quote:
I know that but still, the south side is too dangerous in many areas to be rich, famous, and own a home in.
Tell you what, I wouldn't mind Barack Obama's $2,000,000 home on the south side.

Stick to cities you know about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago