Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 13,539 times

Advertisements

i'm moving from Brooklyn to an apt right by Palmer Square between Kedzie and Humboldt. how is this area? i tried to get a place by Logan Blvd but it was tough finding a 1BR for Aug. Anyway, how is it? Crime? Sketchy? I was looking at an apt on the corner of Fullerton and Kimball and i didn't like that area at all.

anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 03:18 PM

9 posts, read 37,120 times
I live on the square and it is quite nice. You do encounter random crime in the area due to some rougher parts in West Logan Sq., but I would say that the streets around the park are quite safe. There is a police station, a number of large churches, a few elementary schools in the area and I think that that has a lot to do with it. Unless you are moving from Fort Greene/Brooklyn Heights area, I would say that it is just as safe and as nice as anywhere in Brooklyn. The central area of Logan Square continues to improve.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:27 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
Generally it is a safe area, definitely safer than the area around Kimball and Fullerton. If you're moving from Brooklyn you probably have enough street sense to live in this area without any problems.

The area is rapidly changing, four new bars and restaurants are scheduled to open within the next year (Logan's, Revolution Brewing, Fuego Mexican Grill/V Live, Masada) and there are a lot of things to do in nearby areas. For bars and restaurants it is really easy to take the blue line one or two stops to get to the heart of Wicker Park (Damen stop) or a great strip of restaurants along Division (Division stop). Bars within easy walking distance include Streetside, Green Eye, and Dunlay's. A 15-20 minute walk will get you to the Map Room or Quencher's - two of the best beer bars in the city. Some good restaurants include Bonsoiree, Tamalli, Lula Cafe, Rustik, Buena Terra, and plenty more.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:11 PM

10 posts, read 43,451 times
It's for single White hipsters that don't like solidly White areas (for whatever reason). Mostly Latino. I'd call it sketchy, yes.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:39 AM

161 posts, read 411,546 times
Wow. Racist! Do you mean "sketchy" as in low crime neighborhood with Mansions you can't afford? Or like, OMG there is a minority over there! "Sketchy." In which case, what neighborhood are you from? All Chicago Neighborhoods have many minorities. I think you're "sketchy".

Old 11-18-2008, 11:23 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,073,774 times
I wouldn't characterize the single white hipsters that I know as not liking 'solidly white areas' but rather being open to other alternatives if a neighborhood otherwise meets their more urgent criteria. What hipsters do like is dense urban living -- lots of walkable commerce, street life, good public transit, lots of unique characters around, and some emphasis on culture, public space and communal living. Most areas like this in the city are ethnically diverse, and the more blacks and latinos typically the more affordable, so you often see hipsters there. I don't think if everyone were white in these areas that they would go seek out the closest ghetto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWiv View Post
It's for single White hipsters that don't like solidly White areas (for whatever reason). Mostly Latino. I'd call it sketchy, yes.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:07 PM

67 posts, read 247,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveLoganSquare View Post
Wow. Racist! Do you mean "sketchy" as in low crime neighborhood with Mansions you can't afford? Or like, OMG there is a minority over there! "Sketchy." In which case, what neighborhood are you from? All Chicago Neighborhoods have many minorities. I think you're "sketchy".

No, sketchy because it used to be a very violent neighborhood and there are still remnants of that. Imperial Gangsters & Latin Kings are still out there. It really varies from block to block,

Just keep your hat straight!!!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:13 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveLoganSquare View Post
...All Chicago Neighborhoods have many minorities...
Umm no. All Chicago neighborhoods do not.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:53 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,073,774 times
are they really priced the same? everyone I know who moves to sketchy areas does so to be NEAR the action at a more affordable price. most woulld prefer lakeview or lincoln park all else equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapiroJim View Post
Huh?

That sounds like Southport to me, a highly commercial strip with all kinds of culture, not just burrito shops. It's an area that single white hipsters hate even though it offers far, far more urbanity and culture than does Palmer Sq.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:41 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
are they really priced the same? everyone I know who moves to sketchy areas does so to be NEAR the action at a more affordable price. most woulld prefer lakeview or lincoln park all else equal.
I don't think that's true, it's people looking for a different type of action. An overwhelming number of taquerias being just one part of the equation. Things like Family Dollar, Family Thrift Store, Dill Pickle Coop, No Friction, Ronnie's, People Project, etc... is what many people in Palmer Square are looking for as "action".
This sort of stuff is the first wave of gentrification, but the second wave has started with a slew of new places coming in - Logan Bar and Grill, Masada, Club 2047, Tamalli, and Revolution Brewing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago