Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 09:32 PM

668 posts, read 2,359,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Also cue the lame Guitar Hero playing hipsters.
lol, oh my god, don't even get me started... I've met too many of these over the course of my life. I went to one party one night, or so I thought it was, and it turned out that it was just some lame hipster chick from Seattle. Here I am thinkin I was gonna get crunk n party n juke it out on a Friday night, n this chick wants to play "get-to-know-eachother" games and board games. Everyone was just like "naw" and so instead she puts on Guitar Hero and we all sat around all night drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon and watching her. I wanted to put a bullet in my head. to make matters worse, this was in a new condo complex in an old neighborhood of mine. yeah, I think that was the first night I began to hate hipsters. lol.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 09:41 PM

894 posts, read 2,382,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
does palmer sq have any hispanic people living there or is it all yuppies and "hipsters"

anyone..bueller bueller...

Old 12-06-2008, 10:18 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,201,983 times
So when are these so called hipsters and yuppies coming down to Englewood and other run down hoods. Englewood needs a make over.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:37 PM

894 posts, read 2,382,589 times
so does palmer square have hispanics living there...can anyone tell me

Old 12-08-2008, 09:11 AM

102 posts, read 376,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
so does palmer square have hispanics living there...can anyone tell me
Yes, I'd say the majority of palmer square is hispanic. Tons of restaurants, groceries, bars, clubs, etc... all cater to the hispanic community

Old 12-08-2008, 09:49 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
Palmer square is a "work in progress" as far as gentrification is concerned--as is much of Logan Square. People should be aware that they are moving into a mostly Mexican/Puerto Rican neighborhood if they choose to live in Logan Square. There are some hipster hangouts and good restaurants/cafes, but it's still pretty gritty for the most part.

On a side note, a Puerto Rican friend of mine grew up in Palmer Square and owns a house that he inherited from his mother. And he's hoping to cash in. Some of the long-time residents of neighborhoods like Logan Square (i.e. homeowners) do quite well on these upswings.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:50 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
The "hipster" and "yuppie" hate on this forum is getting out of control, by the way.

I just love these conversations about who is more "real" and "authentic". Pure idiocy.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:41 PM

161 posts, read 411,925 times
How do you call Logan Square people yuppies? Or say that we are all Hispanic? Like either one would be a bad thing anyways. I am not even Hispanic and I am offended by some of the stuff I read on here. I would say LS is about 40% Hispanic and the White people here typically made the move for one overriding reason. Square footage. Second reason. Safety. Third Reason. Ease of transportation I90/94, blue line, and buses make transport easy as pie. Sound functional in spirit? It does to me.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:49 PM

102 posts, read 376,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveLoganSquare View Post
How do you call Logan Square people yuppies? Or say that we are all Hispanic? Like either one would be a bad thing anyways. I am not even Hispanic and I am offended by some of the stuff I read on here. I would say LS is about 40% Hispanic and the White people here typically made the move for one overriding reason. Square footage. Second reason. Safety. Third Reason. Ease of transportation I90/94, blue line, and buses make transport easy as pie. Sound functional in spirit? It does to me.
Good post. I'd add there are certain lifestyle things--independent coffee shops, abundance of live music (of a certain type), people of more similar outlook--but these kinds of issues draw people to all sorts of different neighborhoods. It's ridiculous to claim that all or most people move to the area because of some weird misguided altruism, white guilt, or unrequited desire to be hip, just as it's ridiculous to claim everyone who moves to Lincoln Park does so because they can't stand minorities or some other argument...

Old 12-08-2008, 01:52 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,874,318 times
Default ILoveLoganSquare

Logan Square still has a lot of gang issues. I live just south of Logan Square in Humboldt (just south of north avenue east of pulaski). I understand that Logan Square is nicer than Humboldt Park, even the better parts, though my area is not all that different from Logan Square west of say Kimball.

There is certainly a sizable white population in Logan Square, but there are also a lot of Hispanics (nothing wrong with this). The area is gentrifying, but there are areas that still have a ways to go, particularly as you get west of kedzie and definitely kimball. Logan has many benefits that Humboldt Park does not, including 3 blue line stops (Belmont Stop is Avondale).

In 5 mins I found the numbers on new communities website:

2000: 65% Hispanic
2005: 71% Hispanic

Btw, I think Logan Square is great and am looking to buy a building around the fullerton/california and armitage/western areas.

Logan Square has yuppies, hipsters and hispanics, and a few black people and polish people for that matter. I agree you can't blanket classify people by one group as I know a number of hispanics you would call yuppies. You don't have to be white to be a yuppie.

Hipsters crack me up. Other than as an artist or professional athlete, who is going to hire someone with a tatoo on their neck?

People are not moving into Logan Square for safety, sorry buddy. Square footage and good transportation access, yes. That area still has challenges. Not as much as Humboldt Park and certainly nothing like you see in Austin or West Garfield Park, but the gangs are still there and you need to be careful when walking outside, especially by yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago