Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 12:39 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,242,623 times

Advertisements

What's a hipster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 05:22 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,078,629 times
look it up in wikipedia -- the description isn't bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
What's a hipster

Old 11-20-2008, 08:12 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramo Nash View Post
I agree with your hatred of "hipsters" to an extent...

Not everyone wants to be a frat guy...
No they just want to be the guy with tight pants, a beard, and weigh 130 pounds...

The thing is being a hipster (just like the "alternative" trend) is no longer underground or unique. In my eyes a trendy hipster is just as bad as a frat boy. They are perhaps not entirely stupid in the same way, but just as lame and unoriginal.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:39 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,242,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
look it up in wikipedia -- the description isn't bad.
I see.
I seen a few around. But never in my neighborhood.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:05 AM

102 posts, read 376,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
No they just want to be the guy with tight pants, a beard, and weigh 130 pounds...

The thing is being a hipster (just like the "alternative" trend) is no longer underground or unique. In my eyes a trendy hipster is just as bad as a frat boy. They are perhaps not entirely stupid in the same way, but just as lame and unoriginal.
The people who dress a certain way as part of a trend are ludicrous (which I wrote in my post and you're repeating here), but the fact of the matter is, for every 10 people like that, there are a couple that are actually doing something interesting. To say everyone that lives in Pilsen or Logan Square or Ukrainian Village is a worthless trend follower is not true at all.

The one positive is that a lot of those idiots with ironic facial hair and little outfits support a lot of worthwhile stuff that does not get supported in other areas.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMike View Post
He wasn't saying he hated hipsters or that hipsterville is bad, he was saying that it's the hipsters who usually are the angry ones, and they are the ones that hate anything they perceive to be "mainstream" or "Western Civ", until as Mamma Mia states, they mature a little.

Ironically, as someone above stated, hipsters now are the cliche, and it is they who have become the mind-numbing orthodoxy. If there is anyone who is in dissent these days, it's the person who sticks up for Western Civ amidst the PC onslaught and the hipster lemmings that reflexively support it in an almost reactionary way.

I think you'd find the Palmer Sq. hipster-type would have a more visceral reaction and snobbish hatred for the sorrority girl and Southport corridor, than the other way around.
Well, with every bit of real counter-culture, there are always the hangers on. I still don't understand why an aversion to or even a hatred of mainstream culture (whether well thought out or part of the style) is a bad thing, which was what I was saying. I agree that people who have strong opinions without thought are ridiculous, but to say that "almost all of them like to feel morally superior about living amongst blacks or latinos," while at the same time secretly pining over lincoln park is crazy talk.

I've never met anyone who lives in logan square because they hate "white culture" (what does that even mean?) and most people I've met have a completely (maybe even overly) positive attitude.

Quote:
Yeah, like body modification shops!
Hehe, but, seriously, people categorized as "hipsters" also support underground music, non-chain cafes and restaurants, local stores. How's that a negative, even if it were bred out of hatred of mainstream culture?

Old 11-21-2008, 12:24 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
Quote:
Hehe, but, seriously, people categorized as "hipsters" also support underground music, non-chain cafes and restaurants, local stores. How's that a negative, even if it were bred out of hatred of mainstream culture?
There I completely agree with you.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:28 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
I lived right there for 3 years in the early 2000's. It was a very nice area to live, although a little quiet for my liking. It's made huge improvements recently, as it was while I was living there.

There is random crime, but it's not a sketchy area, and overall, it's just fine. There's crime everywhere...

Old 11-21-2008, 03:37 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
...Hehe, but, seriously, people categorized as "hipsters" also support...non-chain cafes and restaurants, local stores. How's that a negative, even if it were bred out of hatred of mainstream culture?
Because they make them "hip" and "cool." Then the Yuppies want to see how hip and cool these places are. After a couple years those places disappear and boring cookie cuter theme bars and restaurants take their place. The hipsters always help destroy that which they claim to love and value. I am not trying to bring this into an anti-gentrification argument but gentrification is what the hipsters bring. Look at Division street between Ashland and Western. Give it a couple more years and it will be like Southport over there. It already is well on its way. 4-5 years ago it was at a perfect level until the hipsters started coming in. It is all downhill now.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Because they make them "hip" and "cool." Then the Yuppies want to see how hip and cool these places are. After a couple years those places disappear and boring cookie cuter theme bars and restaurants take their place. The hipsters always help destroy that which they claim to love and value. I am not trying to bring this into an anti-gentrification argument but gentrification is what the hipsters bring. Look at Division street between Ashland and Western. Give it a couple more years and it will be like Southport over there. It already is well on its way. 4-5 years ago it was at a perfect level until the hipsters started coming in. It is all downhill now.
Because they make them "hip" and "cool." Then the Yuppies want to see how hip and cool these places are.

Then isn't it the yuppies fault for co-opting these areas and moving into their "loftstyle" condos and encouraging certain kinds of amenities over others? I agree with the idea that "hipsters" come first, then waves of gentrification, but what people term "hipsters" not only have, in many cases, supported and created good places, but they flee the gentrification too, so how can you blame them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago