Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2022, 03:52 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,582,510 times

Advertisements

South Shore and Washington Park are blowing up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 04:34 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
South Shore and Washington Park are blowing up?
I'm stunned at what people are paying down there considering the crime and low median income. But there's a lot of out of state/international investor and speculator money flying around, so property values are benefiting. I think it may make sense for a portfolio investor who's got professional management and can offset non-paying or vacant units. For an amateur, I think it is an extremely risky bet.

Last edited by BRU67; 02-07-2022 at 05:02 PM..

Old 02-07-2022, 08:50 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,582,510 times
I guess they're playing the very long game. Those places are third world s-hitholes with a few outliers in South Shore.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
I guess they're playing the very long game. Those places are third world s-hitholes with a few outliers in South Shore.
South Shore has been "about to pop" for a very long time. A friend of mine, a white guy, bought a condo there during the last housing boom, 2005-ish, and he was out of there like his hair was on fire in two years' time. Another friend of mine, who is black, stayed one lease term, and talked me out of buying there actually.

It looks pretty and it's right by the lake but it has got some serious underlying social issues. The prices are being driven up now by people who don't understand, or don't care because they're just looking for cogs to go into a big portfolio with a possible upside. But if enough of them do it, maybe they'll turn it around. Who knows. But if I was just a regular person without a lot of resources, I just don't think I would try that.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:27 PM

74 posts, read 67,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
South Shore has been "about to pop" for a very long time. A friend of mine, a white guy, bought a condo there during the last housing boom, 2005-ish, and he was out of there like his hair was on fire in two years' time. Another friend of mine, who is black, stayed one lease term, and talked me out of buying there actually.

It looks pretty and it's right by the lake but it has got some serious underlying social issues. The prices are being driven up now by people who don't understand, or don't care because they're just looking for cogs to go into a big portfolio with a possible upside. But if enough of them do it, maybe they'll turn it around. Who knows. But if I was just a regular person without a lot of resources, I just don't think I would try that.
I think it’s eye opening when you see the efforts (to the point of literally begging) Chicago’s politicians go to to get development south of the south loop at times. At the end of the day nobody with options is going to live there until we basically tear it all down and start anew. I venture most people talking about the south side “about to pop” haven’t even done as much as a Google street view of the area. Housing 1 block from the lake is a rundown ****hole while on the north side gentrification goes from the lake to miles and miles west without a single empty lot.

Old 02-07-2022, 10:12 PM

226 posts, read 133,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencheese View Post
I think it’s eye opening when you see the efforts (to the point of literally begging) Chicago’s politicians go to to get development south of the south loop at times. At the end of the day nobody with options is going to live there until we basically tear it all down and start anew. I venture most people talking about the south side “about to pop” haven’t even done as much as a Google street view of the area. Housing 1 block from the lake is a rundown ****hole while on the north side gentrification goes from the lake to miles and miles west without a single empty lot.

What a joke. Literally one of the fastest growing neighborhoods in the city, Bronzeville, is below the south loop. Same with Woodlawn. Have you been to Bronzeville lately? Tons of new construction. Bridgeport is booming. Washington Park had a 8.45% growth rate this past decade. Same with Oakland and Kenwood. Chatham also had population growth.

Old 02-08-2022, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencheese View Post
I don't know if I would quite go that far. I think Douglas and Grand Boulevard have potential because they're along the Green Line. And obviously Bridgeport is doing very well, so you might get a southern and eastward push into there, provided that the Loop gets back on its feet.

But I would invest cautiously on the South Side for sure and, as my grampy would say about race cars, don't buy it if you can't afford to set it on fire.

Old 02-08-2022, 12:44 PM

249 posts, read 182,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
For the most part, Chicago's economic disparities have been growing for a very long time. Today, about the only places you'll find any semblance of a strong non-professional middle class will be neighborhoods dominated by city workers (who have to live here). If the data I cited doesn't convince you, I'm not sure what will.

Anyway, until that reverses, I'll definitely welcome more tech workers, and hopefully more neighborhoods gentrify and property values and rents continue to rise.
Tech workers aren't the first ones who gentrify neighborhoods, it's the much poorer artists, bohemians, recent college grads making $15 an hour, and struggling creative types. Once enough of them move to an area and make it safer or at least appear safer then that's why the professionals come in. In the early to mid 90s the only people moving to gang infested Wicker Park were the artists who didn't have a pot to **** in. Then the yuppies came and brought Starbucks and Banana Republic with them, jacked up the rents and made it unaffordable for the "hipsters" Then it happened in Logan Square and now Pilsen. Very few professionals will move to the ghetto but quite a few poor college grads or artists will out of basic necessity. They simply don't have a choice. I'm starting to see a lot of them on the western edge of Pilsen by Western. Northside is just too expensive. Likewise that's why a lof of Hispanics from Little Village are moving into the southern edge of North Lawndale and West Englewood. Money talks.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cuccino View Post
Tech workers aren't the first ones who gentrify neighborhoods, it's the much poorer artists, bohemians, recent college grads making $15 an hour, and struggling creative types. Once enough of them move to an area and make it safer or at least appear safer then that's why the professionals come in. In the early to mid 90s the only people moving to gang infested Wicker Park were the artists who didn't have a pot to **** in. Then the yuppies came and brought Starbucks and Banana Republic with them, jacked up the rents and made it unaffordable for the "hipsters" Then it happened in Logan Square and now Pilsen. Very few professionals will move to the ghetto but quite a few poor college grads or artists will out of basic necessity. They simply don't have a choice. I'm starting to see a lot of them on the western edge of Pilsen by Western. Northside is just too expensive. Likewise that's why a lof of Hispanics from Little Village are moving into the southern edge of North Lawndale and West Englewood. Money talks.
Exactly. The tech workers are just going to go into the blue areas because they are highly paid and can afford strong amenities. That will have the effect of raising rents there, which will then force the poorer artists, bohemians, recent college grads making $15 an hour, and struggling creative types (aka first wave gentrifiers) into areas like Little Village, North Lawndale, and East Garfield Park, and thereby pave the way for future techies and young professionals to go there. And so on. It's the circle of life.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:31 PM

226 posts, read 133,346 times
Was just looking at the homes in NY, LA, Seattle, Austin, Miami, Tampa, and Atlanta. We got it good in Chicago. Anybody who calls Chicago "expensive" is crazy, mid sized cities that dont offer 1/24th the amenities Chicago has are now more expensive.

The average median home price in San Diego is gonna break 1 million soon. Atlanta has absolutely shot up in COL, so many people are getting displaced there. Even the more expensive parts of Chicago are dirt cheap compared to these cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago