Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 01:35 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Good point. More than anything else - pension debts, weather, taxes, leadership and corruption - the hoodrats do the most damage and keep much of the city dramatically undervalued compared to peer cities.
They've helped create a rent gap, where it is considerably cheaper to rent in Chatham ($756) than Logan Square ($1,662).

https://www.apartmentguide.com/blog/...nt-in-chicago/

So if BL really M'd, then some of those angry hipsters who burned our [censored] down a couple summers ago and voted for Foxx's restorative justice would be moving down to Chatham or nearby to save some rent money, desegregate, and do some social justice. Three birds with one stone, so to speak. The price is right.

Unfortunately from this data, rents are trending down in most neighborhoods. Hopefully this corrects as we recover from the Covid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
The poster is incorrect, Phoenix is the more affordable city, as Chicago’s average rents are higher than Phoenix’.
Phoenix is like 15,000 degrees in the summer. I have no idea why anybody would want to live there. But I guess if you're coming from California anything would be an improvement lol!

Old 02-05-2022, 02:21 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Phoenix is like 15,000 degrees in the summer. I have no idea why anybody would want to live there. But I guess if you're coming from California anything would be an improvement lol!
True, although Phoenix/Arizona in-general is "Chicago West." The amount of Chicagoland transplants in the greater Phoenix area has to be one of the weirdest phenomena ever. It's such a real thing that the Phoenix area has 3 Portillo's and there are so many Chicago-dedicated sports bars in Phoenix that you forget what city you're in. So for some odd reason, there are plenty Chicagoans wanting to move there, and there is a distinct migration patter specifically from Chicago to Phoenix, lol.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:55 PM

74 posts, read 67,389 times
Quote:
They've helped create a rent gap, where it is considerably cheaper to rent in Chatham ($756) than Logan Square ($1,662).

https://www.apartmentguide.com/blog/...nt-in-chicago/

So if BL really M'd, then some of those angry hipsters who burned our [censored] down a couple summers ago and voted for Foxx's restorative justice would be moving down to Chatham or nearby to save some rent money, desegregate, and do some social justice. Three birds with one stone, so to speak. The price is right.

Unfortunately from this data, rents are trending down in most neighborhoods. Hopefully this corrects as we recover from the Covid.
Everyone is super liberal with other people’s kids/money/safety but suddenly when it’s THEM being asked to “take one for the team”…

Last edited by Greencheese; 02-05-2022 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 02-05-2022, 08:41 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,582,510 times
Sad thing about Chatham was that it stayed stable/middle class long after the other neighborhoods turned. Then came the 90s and it's now yet another ****hole thanks to the usual local terrorists.

Old 02-06-2022, 01:44 AM

249 posts, read 182,528 times
Quote:
I had a coworker who lived in Phoenix, said it was basically a giant suburb. She said that you never see anyone walking or biking, everyone is always in their cars or indoors.

Old 02-06-2022, 07:15 AM

226 posts, read 133,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Chicago rents on average are higher than rents in Phoenix, so we are not that lucky.

https://www.rentcafe.com/average-ren...us/il/chicago/

https://www.rentcafe.com/average-ren...us/az/phoenix/

As far as the rate at which rents are skyrocketing, I would need to wait until next year to see the data once the pandemic has (likely) stabilized.

Lol a world class city vs some oversized, overly hot suburb, no **** Chicago is more. Plus you dont need a car in Chicago so thats even more savings. I bet with how much Phoenix is blowing up, in a year or two, it will eclipse Chicago.

Old 02-06-2022, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Yup, we're so lucky to have the gang bangers keeping everything affordable!! They're keeping houses nice and cheap for everyone on the South and West sides So far, not even our uber progressives are taking them up on that but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

JK. I would rather have the problems stemming from economic growth 10,000 times over.

Bruh no...are you serious?? People are fleeing California, Seattle, Boston, etc. because of sky high costs, and you want Chicago to turn into that? NO. Chicago (along with Philly) are the only major urban cities left where the middle class can still make it. New York, LA, SF, DC, Boston, etc. have turn into the cities of the super rich and the super poor. Literally one of Chicago's biggest attractions (and the number 1 thing besides cleanliness it has over New York) is its affordability!

Old 02-06-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyfygiu View Post
Bruh no...are you serious?? People are fleeing California, Seattle, Boston, etc. because of sky high costs, and you want Chicago to turn into that? NO. Chicago (along with Philly) are the only major urban cities left where the middle class can still make it. New York, LA, SF, DC, Boston, etc. have turn into the cities of the super rich and the super poor. Literally one of Chicago's biggest attractions (and the number 1 thing besides cleanliness it has over New York) is its affordability!
Yeah, I'm serious. Chicago hasn't attracted the middle class for a very long time.

https://www.wbez.org/stories/the-mid...4-a717d4fb1b0b

I mean, I don't want to interpret the data for you but all the red you see there on the 2nd map means that we're probably in very little danger of becoming San Francisco. Well, except in what I call the Emerald City, which is blue on the map. Seems like everyone feels they need to live there and then they complain that the rents are high.

But anyway, such being the case, you want the prosperity to grow so we can fund all the social programs and things that progressives want, since God knows they're not going to move to the red areas themselves and try to make change.

Old 02-06-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm serious. Chicago hasn't attracted the middle class for a very long time.

https://www.wbez.org/stories/the-mid...4-a717d4fb1b0b

You can be middle class and live in a decent neighborhood in this city. Thats not possible in any of our peer cities except Philly like I said. Chicago has the most diverse economy in the country, it doesn't need to be dominated by tech so it can become an overexpensive city like Seattle/SF/Austin.

Go move to those cities if that's what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago