Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2022, 02:51 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,231 times

Advertisements

I do not doubt that there is gang activity. Or obviously that there are gang shootings. But in my immediate area, near 26th and Central Park, just not really hearing it. I have heard it off in the distance very late at night a few times but again, I don't even know if that's coming from our neighborhood or North Lawndale. It wasn't nearby.

So it's good you live in the neighborhood. So you should definitely want to see the big win. It will happen. I'm just keeping my mouth shut, but it will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 01:55 PM

1,067 posts, read 914,995 times
Little Village is amazing. I've only driven through when I considered investing in some real estate there and was blown away by 26th street. The shops, restaurants, atmosphere, etc. was really cool. Ultimately being south of 290, lack of nearby spillover, distance to el and shockingly low rents made me invest elsewhere. But when gentrification does hit that area look out...26th street is exactly the type of stretch that will boom. I wish East Garfield Park had a similar stretch. It used to along Madison until the MLK riots. If Madison looked like 26th does now then EGP would be gentrified by now.

Old 02-16-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Little Village is amazing. I've only driven through when I considered investing in some real estate there and was blown away by 26th street. The shops, restaurants, atmosphere, etc. was really cool. Ultimately being south of 290, lack of nearby spillover, distance to el and shockingly low rents made me invest elsewhere. But when gentrification does hit that area look out...26th street is exactly the type of stretch that will boom. I wish East Garfield Park had a similar stretch. It used to along Madison until the MLK riots. If Madison looked like 26th does now then EGP would be gentrified by now.
I think East Garfield Park is going be ok too. The Geen Line and the rapid growth of the West Loop should ultimately see to that. If I was betting on two still somewhat affordable neighborhoods, those would probably be the two. I think East Garfield Park is a bit rougher to live in right now. In Little Village, you more or less have a normal urban life, so long as you stay out of the gang dispute zones late at night. EGP still needs a lot of seasoning. But when the market cools down a little, I'm definitely going to look for something in EGP.

Old 02-16-2022, 07:41 PM

226 posts, read 132,762 times
Why didn't pilsen gentrification spillover to little village?

Old 02-16-2022, 08:01 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,435 times
Pilsen is by no means gentrified, and its alderman seems to do little but prevent housing from being built on empty lots and encourage vandalizing coffee shops. Pilsen's supposed renaissance and (dying) arts district are long exaggerated. Plenty of gunfire west of Damen on nights and weekends for people who accept that sort of thing. I like the area... but it's a bit overhyped.

As for why Little Village is still dangerous, and clearly that's somewhat subjective, I suppose the city's stagnated population slows down such momentum.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Pilsen is by no means gentrified, and its alderman seems to do little but prevent housing from being built on empty lots and encourage vandalizing coffee shops. Pilsen's supposed renaissance and (dying) arts district are long exaggerated. Plenty of gunfire west of Damen on nights and weekends for people who accept that sort of thing. I like the area... but it's a bit overhyped.

As for why Little Village is still dangerous, and clearly that's somewhat subjective, I suppose the city's stagnated population slows down such momentum.
I think this is correct. If the City's professional sector takes back off, and grows even half as much as it did during the 1990s, then you'll probably see LV and EGP gentrify. If they don't, you probably won't, until that occurs anyway. That's why the remote work wildcard is so important, and also why it's so important that we have strong business development, which in turn requires low (ish) crime. That's why voters should bounce both Lightfoot and Foxx out on their ears next election!!

Old 02-16-2022, 08:30 PM

Little Village is much more likely to improve before East Garfield Park. At the end of the day, Hispanic neighborhoods, even those with a lot of crime, are still somewhere functional and have supported businesses. They are working class neighborhoods and haven't fallen off the cliff despite obvious challenges.

We just don't see that in poor black neighborhoods like EGP. Too much chaos, disinvestment, hopelessness, etc.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:49 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Little Village is much more likely to improve before East Garfield Park. At the end of the day, Hispanic neighborhoods, even those with a lot of crime, are still somewhere functional and have supported businesses. They are working class neighborhoods and haven't fallen off the cliff despite obvious challenges.

We just don't see that in poor black neighborhoods like EGP. Too much chaos, disinvestment, hopelessness, etc.

Woodlawn and Bronzeville are proving this notion false

Old 02-16-2022, 09:05 PM

226 posts, read 132,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post

South Shore, Grand Boulevard, Washington Park, and Chatham too. All neighborhoods that gained in population and have developments going on.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Bronzeville is an interesting case - the commercial districts are garbage but residential is booming - but Woodlawn is still in very rough shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago