Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 08:06 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberpunk1981 View Post
Got some sources for your statistics?
Yes. That is data from the U.S. Census Bureau. The data can be found on the Wikipedia pages for the Community Areas I cited and on the Census Bureau's website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 07:42 AM

504 posts, read 496,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
In any case, to get to your concern, I don't think you need to worry about many of those neighborhoods you mentioned turning into mini Austins (TX). And you seem to acknowledge a need for some tech expansion, which is good. But I think those kind of workers will largely flock to the dark blue areas on that map I posted earlier, such as Logan Square (median income $82.9k and rising) and Bucktown/Wicker Park ($104.6k). I don't think they're going to be going to the South or Southwest sides, unless there is an absolutely massive growth in the high end tech sector unprecedented in U.S. history.

No chance techies can fill that much of Chicago out within the next 20 years. We might get a few more now that companies are remote-friendly, but its going to be a drop in the bucket and will just strengthen the NW and N sides.

As a side note - I just took a remote tech job (took a west coast position and left my old one open in Chicago!). Salaries are insane and I'm at an income near 400 now before I'm 30. Tech is really on another level above Chicago when it comes to comp and I'd be curious what kind of impact that would have on our local economy if we even got a slice of the jobs - based on my personal spending, it would just mean more nice restaurants.

One more side note, City-Data has a cool visualization for income by tract that I use here - https://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...hicago-IL.html

Old 03-23-2022, 01:35 PM

403 posts, read 930,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
No chance techies can fill that much of Chicago out within the next 20 years. We might get a few more now that companies are remote-friendly, but its going to be a drop in the bucket and will just strengthen the NW and N sides.

As a side note - I just took a remote tech job (took a west coast position and left my old one open in Chicago!). Salaries are insane and I'm at an income near 400 now before I'm 30. Tech is really on another level above Chicago when it comes to comp and I'd be curious what kind of impact that would have on our local economy if we even got a slice of the jobs - based on my personal spending, it would just mean more nice restaurants.

One more side note, City-Data has a cool visualization for income by tract that I use here - http:////www.city-data.com/neighborh...hicago-IL.html
Kind of depends on industry. Up and coming small or mid-sized product firms in Chicago won't pay that, but the big trading firms sure will (and much more). And of course the bar is insanely high at those places. Most young people aren't interested in that space though..so they often times end up sitting in Chicago and making big $$ with a firm out west. I'm guessing it's with one of the big boys if you're making that...most product firms even in CA aren't paying that to my knowledge.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:46 AM

504 posts, read 496,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
Kind of depends on industry. Up and coming small or mid-sized product firms in Chicago won't pay that, but the big trading firms sure will (and much more). And of course the bar is insanely high at those places. Most young people aren't interested in that space though..so they often times end up sitting in Chicago and making big $$ with a firm out west. I'm guessing it's with one of the big boys if you're making that...most product firms even in CA aren't paying that to my knowledge.
FAANG level for me, but have 2 friends at/from Citadel and they are making way more than big tech. I just assume there aren't as many jobs at those HFT companies to have much impact on Chicago?

In terms of jobs for Chicago - I think the WFH trend could benefit the city. As more tech companies open up to being remote friendly (FB just announced they were taking it to an extreme), I think SF / Seattle won't fare as well while Chicago will benefit as a pretty LCOL city.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:51 AM

1,068 posts, read 917,295 times
Quote:
In terms of jobs for Chicago - I think the WFH trend could benefit the city. As more tech companies open up to being remote friendly (FB just announced they were taking it to an extreme), I think SF / Seattle won't fare as well while Chicago will benefit as a pretty LCOL city.
I said early on in the pandemic Chicago should run a marketing campaign in NY, SF, LA, etc. touting the low cost of living to try and steal movers from those cities. Unfortunately they did not. And I do not think Chicago will fare well now because it certainly did not during the pandemic. Chicago will be great for some looking for the big city life / amenities for low cost of living. But people have already voted with their feet and they want nice weather, outdoor activities, secondary cities and more freedoms. Perhaps relaxing covid restrictions in the big cities will help but places like Chicago and New York have been too slow...the difference between living in say Texas/Florida and Chicago is night and day in terms of freedoms.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:16 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:

One more side note, City-Data has a cool visualization for income by tract that I use here - http:////www.city-data.com/neighborh...hicago-IL.html
Agree. Chicago is not and likely will never be a "big player" in terms of tech (at least in the foreseeable future), but I think the encouraging thing is, across a variety of different tech industries, Chicago almost always makes the "top 20" list, so we do have a presence.

Some of that may be an artifact of being the 3rd largest city, but it at least shows that we have a foot in the game to some extent.

I agree, that a work from home trend could help Chicago in a space like tech. As everyone has said, it's top tier big city amenities paired with very reasonable prices compared to the coasts could be very attractive. I still think that the negative headlines (as it relates to crime) hurt interest more than people think. Also, we are still not "back to normal" in terms of city life. Things are definitely better, but there are still a lot of businesses that have not reopened, so "downtown life" is still not what it was pre-pandemic, and it is likely going to be at least another year until it is.

I believe the next year or two will be the phase where we learn how to live with COVID indefinitely; once we know how to, businesses and people will know how to operate under a "new normal" and that's where you'll see a true and predictable "new normal." When that happens, I think Chicago will be an attractive place, assuming it can finally curb its violence (which I'm not confident it can). Although, unlike the past decade, Chicago is not the runaway city for violent crime like it almost always has been, as Philly and Houston are both almost neck and neck with it. If it miraculously fades out of the top spot and thereby is spared some negative media coverage, it would be a big win.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
I said early on in the pandemic Chicago should run a marketing campaign in NY, SF, LA, etc. touting the low cost of living to try and steal movers from those cities. Unfortunately they did not. And I do not think Chicago will fare well now because it certainly did not during the pandemic. Chicago will be great for some looking for the big city life / amenities for low cost of living. But people have already voted with their feet and they want nice weather, outdoor activities, secondary cities and more freedoms. Perhaps relaxing covid restrictions in the big cities will help but places like Chicago and New York have been too slow...the difference between living in say Texas/Florida and Chicago is night and day in terms of freedoms.
Marketing campaigns can be overrated. Berwyn has done that for years, and I think it has helped, a little. So it's certainly something that should be done. But it's not going to do a magic transformation or cover for other issues like bad schools and crime.

As to the covid restrictions, I think a lot of people like those. Most north side bars are still asking for vax cards and I still see many people wearing masks. Outside! It's a political statement at this point and because our affluent residents are vast majority progressive (as is the target audience you describe), the covid restrictions aren't going to have much negative impact.

And Texas, and particularly Florida, are becoming increasingly less attractive for progressives, by design I'm sure, lol! And if that fails and they turn blue, it's only a matter of time before they have the same problems we do, only with nasty hot weather.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:18 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Marketing campaigns can be overrated. Berwyn has done that for years, and I think it has helped, a little. So it's certainly something that should be done. But it's not going to do a magic transformation or cover for other issues like bad schools and crime.

As to the covid restrictions, I think a lot of people like those. Most north side bars are still asking for vax cards and I still see many people wearing masks. Outside! It's a political statement at this point and because our affluent residents are vast majority progressive (as is the target audience you describe), the covid restrictions aren't going to have much negative impact.

And Texas, and particularly Florida, are becoming increasingly less attractive for progressives, by design I'm sure, lol! And if that fails and they turn blue, it's only a matter of time before they have the same problems we do, only with nasty hot weather.
It's definitely polarizing, and I would agree with you. I think that cities that swing too far in either direction (very strict or very nonchalant) are driving people away. I also know a few people who were planning on moving to Florida at one point during the pandemic, who have been turned off due to how loose things have gotten. I'm sure the other extreme has the same issue.

I also agree, that a "marketing campaign" doesn't really work nowadays. Austin, Raleigh, Charlotte, Seattle, Tampa, Salt Lake, etc. are not attracting people because of some marketing campaign. I can't tell you the last time I saw any "marketing" online or on TV for these cities.

These cities are attracting people because you can get nice sized homes with land for good value; and you're close enough to the city for amenities. Note- not all people need NYC/Chicago/Boston/SF big-city amenities. On CD people will consider many of these cities "suburbs," but in real life, many people will consider the sun belt cities to have plenty of "big city" amenities. During the pandemic, the value of having space, access to nature, etc, yet still being close enough to a city for amenities, was a paradigm shift for many.

When the pendulum swings back and big-city-life makes a comeback, Chicago could be well-positioned to attract people. A "marketing campaign" will not have much impact. Chicago having an improved reputation (around crime), and continuous neighborhood vitalization (like the West Loop is doing now), along with good tourism experiences, is the "marketing campaign" Chicago will need to attract people.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
It's definitely polarizing, and I would agree with you. I think that cities that swing too far in either direction (very strict or very nonchalant) are driving people away. I also know a few people who were planning on moving to Florida at one point during the pandemic, who have been turned off due to how loose things have gotten. I'm sure the other extreme has the same issue.

I also agree, that a "marketing campaign" doesn't really work nowadays. Austin, Raleigh, Charlotte, Seattle, Tampa, Salt Lake, etc. are not attracting people because of some marketing campaign. I can't tell you the last time I saw any "marketing" online or on TV for these cities.

These cities are attracting people because you can get nice sized homes with land for good value; and you're close enough to the city for amenities. Note- not all people need NYC/Chicago/Boston/SF big-city amenities. On CD people will consider many of these cities "suburbs," but in real life, many people will consider the sun belt cities to have plenty of "big city" amenities. During the pandemic, the value of having space, access to nature, etc, yet still being close enough to a city for amenities, was a paradigm shift for many.

When the pendulum swings back and big-city-life makes a comeback, Chicago could be well-positioned to attract people. A "marketing campaign" will not have much impact. Chicago having an improved reputation (around crime), and continuous neighborhood vitalization (like the West Loop is doing now), along with good tourism experiences, is the "marketing campaign" Chicago will need to attract people.
Very good point. I think the ad campaign was somewhat effective for Berwyn because it was a suburb that a lot of people didn't know much about and which didn't get much media coverage. With the Berwyn campaign, it was calling attention to something people were generally unfamiliar with, and they might have looked into it more upon seeing the ads

But everybody knows about Chicago. Someone's not going to see a billboard off the I-10 in LA and go "oh my God I should move to Chicago!" They already have perceptions about Chicago, for good or ill. So the key for Chicago will be improving its reputation. I think an ad campaign might work for individual neighborhoods, but that would be aimed at people who are already in the area.

Old 03-24-2022, 02:38 PM

663 posts, read 306,731 times
Everyone knows Chicago being a large city and a legacy in pop-culture each generation had a piece of. Some for Al Capone to music to movies and now TV a key one.

The One Chicago 3, the NBC TV shows, have been hits and post Oprah and some movies it is key currently keeping Chicago in a limelight. Though crime in one show is a key subject. Pop-culture does not make it as negative when a show is liked and characters affiliated with the city now gives are even loved.

It actually can reverse the extreme effect by political media on crime.... especially homicides and to those who are so driven by politics. Nothing Chicago does short of turning Red is going to change their opinion if they never visit the city. The c-d politics forum can prove this. Some who might be business travellers, still know aspects otherwise of were to the city for other reasons.

My point is these shows .... do lessen the impact of the scourge of crime. Especially as those in most major cities hear plenty of crime local to them today also. There is a bit of numbing as a big city.

One key is NOT to have downtown Chicago's image tarnished by crime. That Chicago escaped and seems Philly is at risk by downtown crime if the media raises concerns. I think post-looting. No new increases downtown and conventions back, festivals and increased tourism... will gain normalcy and pre-Covid interest again in visitors.

Chicago's pre-Covid steady rise in tourism, clearly improved the city's image by visitors returning home and by word-of-mouth... doing more then any ad campaign. Always good for a city to surpass expectations also and Chicago did that.

On a ad campaign. I would say YES the city should. Why, is to give hints Chicago is back post-Covid seeking visitors again. A REMINDER in them thinking on vacations again and cities on the way of travels.

Key is like START SOON. Memorial Day onward is where you need a spurt now. A ad gives a hint and leaving Covid as a REMINDER. Showing attractions to LURE THEM BACK.

Then word-of-mouth continues again to do it and pop-culture over the negatives. Tourist are not thinking taxes are high of rents to live in Chicago. They want some escapism, excitement, entertainment and culture.

Chicago still has all of that. Why not a reminder Think Chicago?

Interest in a move is only helped by pop-culture and tourism. That teen visiting.... may be the next college bound or post-college young professional that seeks the city.

Still cheaper then a NYC, Boston, LA to Seattle. Is still a edge. The fast increase of cost in sunbelt booming cities can eventually slow the IT factor. Key is Corporate America seeking the North more again also. A mayor still will come and go. Most likely go...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago