Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2022, 08:20 PM

33 posts, read 34,858 times

Advertisements

Were they filming a remake of A Clockwork Orange, or is something more sinister going on?
https://cwbchicago.com/2022/06/alarm...coln-park.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2022, 02:52 AM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubs View Post
Were they filming a remake of A Clockwork Orange, or is something more sinister going on?
https://cwbchicago.com/2022/06/alarm...coln-park.html
Neither -- just another day in the 2022 version of Chicago.

Old 06-20-2022, 05:32 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Default Good initiative by the Aldermen

This actually sounds like a good initiative by the Alderman, and it sounds like other neighborhoods are going to do this as well. Hiring private security guards to patrol. Will be interesting to see how it works. The only thing I don’t understand is why they are “unarmed.” Arm them and let them patrol, as this will deter crime even more.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vvcPIGEjKkY

Old 06-21-2022, 09:29 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,249,261 times
Good morning, everyone! Wishing you all well!!

Yesterday morning I saw a story on my phone that there were several robberies during the day in the Lincoln Park neighborhood, recently.

So often, on these forums we see advise for others on the relatively safety of neighborhoods like Lincoln Park.

And then today I saw a report on a Facebook group I'm a part of, of "smash and grabs" in Lincolnwood and Edison Park, where a chase ensued, and then the squads were called off from continuing their pursuit.

So if these reports are all true, it REALLY dispels the ol' safe northside areas! I mean, COME ON: I used to think Edison Park would NEVER be victimized like this, especially with all the police that live there!

But in my opinion, ladies and gentlemen, the criminal element has more to gain than lose, especially knowing that the system is lenient, and that pursuits can be called off.

I "tongue in cheek" questioned: Anyone is support of the Charles Bronson method, then, to "Help take a bite out of crime."

Old 06-21-2022, 10:56 AM

1,067 posts, read 915,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This actually sounds like a good initiative by the Alderman, and it sounds like other neighborhoods are going to do this as well. Hiring private security guards to patrol. Will be interesting to see how it works. The only thing I don’t understand is why they are “unarmed.” Arm them and let them patrol, as this will deter crime even more.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vvcPIGEjKkY
I hope it works but there's unarmed security guards at places like CVS and Walgreens and all they do is record the people robbing the stores and walking out. So I'm not sure how much this will help.

As for them being unarmed, I don't think they want private security with weapons due to liability given we don't even support our police when they do lawfully use their weapons in split second dangerous situations.

Old 06-21-2022, 12:08 PM

dtcbnd03, good day.

It WOULD be nice if people respected everyone from law enforcement agents to security guards to fellow human beings.

But since the reality is that it is NOT the case, we have to understand what WORKS in the mind of the criminal:

It has nothing to do with human respect, authority, etc. They use fear to control others, so FEAR is the best thing to help them understand. And an unarmed (police officer/ security guard/ RESIDENT is going to 99% NOTHING to curb crimes.

So on one level, one has to "fight fire with fire". As I said, you have to get inside the mind of the criminal to know what has a better chance to work.

THAT is why I understand those who are proponents for FIREARMS for the LAW-ABIDING...

Old 06-21-2022, 04:49 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Good morning, everyone! Wishing you all well!!

Yesterday morning I saw a story on my phone that there were several robberies during the day in the Lincoln Park neighborhood, recently.

So often, on these forums we see advise for others on the relatively safety of neighborhoods like Lincoln Park.

And then today I saw a report on a Facebook group I'm a part of, of "smash and grabs" in Lincolnwood and Edison Park, where a chase ensued, and then the squads were called off from continuing their pursuit.

So if these reports are all true, it REALLY dispels the ol' safe northside areas! I mean, COME ON: I used to think Edison Park would NEVER be victimized like this, especially with all the police that live there!

But in my opinion, ladies and gentlemen, the criminal element has more to gain than lose, especially knowing that the system is lenient, and that pursuits can be called off.

I "tongue in cheek" questioned: Anyone is support of the Charles Bronson method, then, to "Help take a bite out of crime."
They're still safer than your average Chicago neighborhood by a wide margin, even if the barometer for the city in general is dropping. Of course this latter caveat is why people who used to recommend and/or even live in these neighborhoods have begun to recommend not living in the city at all, at least until the political class gets its act together and once again recognizing public safety as a necessary element of a civil society.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:25 PM

Bitey, YES to your comment. Absolutely!!

Old 06-22-2022, 07:12 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,849,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
They're still safer than your average Chicago neighborhood by a wide margin, even if the barometer for the city in general is dropping. Of course this latter caveat is why people who used to recommend and/or even live in these neighborhoods have begun to recommend not living in the city at all, at least until the political class gets its act together and once again recognizing public safety as a necessary element of a civil society.
100% agree.

Spring 2023 is the next mayoral election....

Old 06-22-2022, 07:30 AM

Good morning,

I don't know if you recall the name David Clarke, but he was the Sheriff in Milwaukee County.

He was not loved by all, but many people (myself included) could appreciate his position that good citizens should NOT just rely on the police; rather, citizens need to take an active role, in helping deter crimes.

For some, it could mean calling the police to report "suspicious activities" or keeping an eye out for neighbors.

I know I have certainly did my part in various communities, as I have intervened to quell abusive situations such as verbal abuse AND physical abuse, on the streets of Milwaukee and Chicago.

And I understand that not everyone is going to do that. But remember, I am the guy that has the Charles Bronson DEATH WISH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago