Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2022, 02:22 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,579,336 times

Advertisements

A bunch of hoodrats cause chaos at Millenium Park so now I, along with hundreds of normal people, are wanting in line to get inside for Bluesfest?

If there is a worse mayor, I'd be shocked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2022, 05:58 PM

33 posts, read 34,858 times
Default Blues Fest Tsuris

Yes! I remember the Blues Fests of old, very open and relaxed. No more. Heightened security, cops everywhere. Very disconcerting. I had to keep asking myself if I was in Chicago or the Al Aqsa/ Western Wall area.

Also, on a slightly different note, after leaving the Fest I walked around downtown and found myself saddened by how dirty everything seemed, certainly in comparison with the before times. Block after block of grimy sidewalks and litter. Is it just me, or have things really taken a nose dive sanitation wise?

Last edited by bubs; 06-11-2022 at 06:06 PM..

Old 06-11-2022, 06:21 PM

Not dramatically different from a litter sense, but things are much more tense downtown. Chicago and Jackson red stations have become uncomfortable too, hell, the trains in general.

Old 06-11-2022, 06:56 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,673,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubs View Post
Yes! I remember the Blues Fests of old, very open and relaxed. No more. Heightened security, cops everywhere. Very disconcerting. I had to keep asking myself if I was in Chicago or the Al Aqsa/ Western Wall area.

Also, on a slightly different note, after leaving the Fest I walked around downtown and found myself saddened by how dirty everything seemed, certainly in comparison with the before times. Block after block of grimy sidewalks and litter. Is it just me, or have things really taken a nose dive sanitation wise?
I can't comment on the current state of downtown as it's been a while since I was dragged into the office, but I remember going to Blues Fest a couple times in the late 80s and/or early 90s when Chicago was supposedly much more dangerous than it is now. There were no barriers, no checkpoints or entry points... you just walked into Grant Park where it used to be held (there was no Millennium Park yet), found a food tent to get some barbecue or something, found a music tent, sat down, and just enjoyed a day in the sun by the lakeshore with food and music without a care in the world other than how much you were overcharged for your food. Even us white suburban kids were allowed to go downtown by ourselves back then; our parents were a lot more nervous about us getting into a car accident on the Ike than coming into any trouble downtown.

Old 06-12-2022, 07:46 AM

4,940 posts, read 3,047,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubs View Post

My last visit to BluesFest was in 2012, and it was pretty much the same as 1988; only a few cops outside Grant Park.....

Old 06-12-2022, 06:53 PM

226 posts, read 588,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
A bunch of hoodrats cause chaos at Millenium Park so now I, along with hundreds of normal people, are wanting in line to get inside for Bluesfest?

If there is a worse mayor, I'd be shocked
Are you saying that this is recent chaos at Bluesfest? I've gone everyday and hadn't heard/seen anything chaotic. Thousands of people having a good time. Security is very present, but that's not a bad thing.

Old 06-12-2022, 08:50 PM

It was pretty chill. I was just venting about the state of the security theater stemming from all the problems.

Old 06-13-2022, 01:44 AM

9,977 posts, read 5,673,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
Are you saying that this is recent chaos at Bluesfest? I've gone everyday and hadn't heard/seen anything chaotic. Thousands of people having a good time. Security is very present, but that's not a bad thing.
It's not a bad thing in the immediate sense that it made the event safer. But it's not a good thing when viewed as a context clue about the state of the city, especially compared to years past when such shows of force weren't necessary.

Old 06-13-2022, 05:29 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
It's not a bad thing in the immediate sense that it made the event safer. But it's not a good thing when viewed as a context clue about the state of the city, especially compared to years past when such shows of force weren't necessary.
Agree. While it's sad, at least they are doing something. And given the state of the country and the news we hear about everyday, it may not be such a bad thing.

Old 06-13-2022, 07:57 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
I only go "downtown" when I have to. Like tomorrow. But my suburban friends still find River North and the Bean interesting.

God I hate River North. But the Riverwalk? That's pretty awesome - and 10x better than it ever used to be.

This was the biggest Fest weekend I can remember. Blues Fest, Midsommarfest, Old Town Art Fest, Ravenswood on Tap, all on the same weekend. Probably others that I'm not even realizing.

Glad there were no issues at Blues Fest. The only issue and Midsommarfest was someone accidentally driving up onto the sidewalk and Clark and Foster. Luckily nobody was killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago