Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2022, 02:49 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Just part of the authentic urban living experience. The ultimate Hilfiger Hipster badge of honor!

On a more serious note, maybe the time to leave the city is when you decided it was necessary to plan for a carjacking rather than after it happened.
Sounds like victim blaming

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_-wyfSHzYlo&t=11s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 11:13 AM

9,976 posts, read 5,672,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Sounds like victim blaming
Sensible risk assessment is not victim-blaming.

Old 07-14-2022, 12:17 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,921,314 times
I understand why younger people may find living in Chicago fun and cool. Same with some older people not in their twilight years. After all, it's just you that you have to worry about.

What I DON'T understand is how people with children of ANY age that you're raising, with all the dangers, insist on staying. Unless it's a major financial hit by moving or you have so much extended family depending on you, why the hell not get your family into a dramatically safer environment. If anything, it's being a good parent.

Post after post in the Chicago section of City-Data people continue to compare the degree of violent criminality in the various areas of this city. Every time you leave the house having relying on street smarts and luck to not get robbed, assaulted, car-jacked, or worse. I shake my head in wonderment. YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIVE LIKE THAT. Most families in America don't live with the constant worries that you people do.

There are places all over the U.S. where the biggest crime that one usually sees is minor vandalism or someone putting a dent in your car and sneaking away. Where when someone walks or drives by your house you waive at them, not quickly cower behind something or race to the safety of your house.

At least with living in Chicago one would hope that the cost of living and the taxes are low. As you know, it's quite the opposite. You pay dearly for the "joy" of living in Chiraq.

I came there several times during my life for business and quite a few other times to visit some of my mother's close relatives who lived in your Bridgeport area. I have no inclination to come back there now. It doesn't seem worth it for the risks. Even the Loup, where it was reasonably safe years ago, isn't so now.

Talk about the destruction of tourism.

Old 07-14-2022, 12:36 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I understand why younger people may find living in Chicago fun and cool. Same with some older people not in their twilight years. After all, it's just you that you have to worry about.

What I DON'T understand is how people with children of ANY age that you're raising, with all the dangers, insist on staying. Unless it's a major financial hit by moving or you have so much extended family depending on you, why the hell not get your family into a dramatically safer environment. If anything, it's being a good parent.

Post after post in the Chicago section of City-Data people continue to compare the degree of violent criminality in the various areas of this city. Every time you leave the house having relying on street smarts and luck to not get robbed, assaulted, car-jacked, or worse. I shake my head in wonderment. YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIVE LIKE THAT. Most families in America don't live with the constant worries that you people do.

There are places all over the U.S. where the biggest crime that one usually sees is minor vandalism or someone putting a dent in your car and sneaking away. Where when someone walks or drives by your house you waive at them, not quickly cower behind something or race to the safety of your house.

At least with living in Chicago one would hope that the cost of living and the taxes are low. As you know, it's quite the opposite. You pay dearly for the "joy" of living in Chiraq.

I came there several times during my life for business and quite a few other times to visit some of my mother's close relatives who lived in your Bridgeport area. I have no inclination to come back there now. It doesn't seem worth it for the risks. Even the Loup, where it was reasonably safe years ago, isn't so now.

Talk about the destruction of tourism.
Well, you are from South Dakota, so you may not appreciate urban living in the same way.

Chicago is no more dangerous than many other cities in the US, like Atlanta, Detroit, Philadelphia, Houston, and others. And Chicago is WAY more affordable than NYC, Seattle, Miami, or places in California.

So if a real urban way of life is how someone wants to live - and many people love living in very large cities, Chicago is still quite a good option. Places like Dallas or Phoenix or Austin are car-centric cities that don't scratch the same urban itch that Chicago does.

I live in a Chicago neighborhood that has had zero murders this year. There are definitely areas in the city I would never live in, and many parts of the city where I make sure I'm not out and about after midnight. But generally speaking, we love living here, and get an amazing value with all the amenities, etc. Maybe we've gotten lucky.

Most of the crime here, both perps and victims, are unfortunately in the African American community. There is a real issue in that community here in Chicago - it's quite sad. 75% of all murder victims in the same 30% of the population.

Old 07-14-2022, 01:40 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,921,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Well, you are from South Dakota, so you may not appreciate urban living in the same way.

Chicago is no more dangerous than many other cities in the US, like Atlanta, Detroit, Philadelphia, Houston, and others. And Chicago is WAY more affordable than NYC, Seattle, Miami, or places in California.

So if a real urban way of life is how someone wants to live - and many people love living in very large cities, Chicago is still quite a good option. Places like Dallas or Phoenix or Austin are car-centric cities that don't scratch the same urban itch that Chicago does.

I live in a Chicago neighborhood that has had zero murders this year. There are definitely areas in the city I would never live in, and many parts of the city where I make sure I'm not out and about after midnight. But generally speaking, we love living here, and get an amazing value with all the amenities, etc. Maybe we've gotten lucky.

Most of the crime here, both perps and victims, are unfortunately in the African American community. There is a real issue in that community here in Chicago - it's quite sad. 75% of all murder victims in the same 30% of the population.
I do understand what you posted. It's great for certain people and that is a mindset that I don't understand, nor need to. Everyone is different and there is no right or wrong to that. Keep in mind, the direction of what I posted is mainly directed towards people with kids. To me, raising children in that environment has far too many risks when compared to the rewards.

Old 07-14-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I do understand what you posted. It's great for certain people and that is a mindset that I don't understand, nor need to. Everyone is different and there is no right or wrong to that. Keep in mind, the direction of what I posted is mainly directed towards people with kids. To me, raising children in that environment has far too many risks when compared to the rewards.
Yes, I mostly agree. We moved here after ours were out of high school. It was mostly a scholastic-driven play though. We couldn't afford private school and didn't want to deal with CPS. A lot of families move out to the suburbs once their kids need to hit kindergarten.

Old 07-14-2022, 02:10 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post

Eh...I partially disagree with this. While Atlanta and Houston have a good amount of crime (though they fly under the radar since Chicago always takes the top spot in terms of "total numbers"), in their nicest/trendiest neighborhoods, do not feel anywhere near as dangerous as Chicago's.

If you are living in Buckhead, Midtown, or 5 points in Atlanta, which offers plenty of nice urban amenities for young professionals, crime is much less prevalent. Same with Midtown, the Galleria, and other neighborhoods in Houston. The degree of violent crime even in the "nice" areas of Chicago has skyrocketed over the last couple of years, and you definitely have to be more on alert compared to Atlanta or Houston.

Not sure why you even mentioned Detroit, that is a completely different tier of a city. So it's an apple to oranges comparison. To have to reach for Detroit as an example to boost Chicago is a stretch to make a point (when Chicago tries to compare itself to it's peers when discussing other categories other than crime).

I have lived in Philly, and it's probably similar to Chicago in most neighborhoods in terms of safety. Although after the past couple years, I may think that Philly would be slightly safer in it's nicer neighborhoods than Chicago.

Bottom line is that, Chicago IS more dangerous than its other peer cities. There's no beating around the bush on that.

Old 07-14-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Eh...I partially disagree with this. While Atlanta and Houston have a good amount of crime (though they fly under the radar since Chicago always takes the top spot in terms of "total numbers"), in their nicest/trendiest neighborhoods, do not feel anywhere near as dangerous as Chicago's.

If you are living in Buckhead, Midtown, or 5 points in Atlanta, which offers plenty of nice urban amenities for young professionals, crime is much less prevalent. Same with Midtown, the Galleria, and other neighborhoods in Houston. The degree of violent crime even in the "nice" areas of Chicago has skyrocketed over the last couple of years, and you definitely have to be more on alert compared to Atlanta or Houston.

Not sure why you even mentioned Detroit, that is a completely different tier of a city. So it's an apple to oranges comparison. To have to reach for Detroit as an example to boost Chicago is a stretch to make a point (when Chicago tries to compare itself to it's peers when discussing other categories other than crime).

I have lived in Philly, and it's probably similar to Chicago in most neighborhoods in terms of safety. Although after the past couple years, I may think that Philly would be slightly safer in it's nicer neighborhoods than Chicago.

Bottom line is that, Chicago IS more dangerous than its other peer cities. There's no beating around the bush on that.
My point is that if you want to live in a big, urban city, you are going to either 1) pay way more, 2) be in a car-centric city which isn't the same, or 3) be in a city with similar danger concerns.

Am I wrong?

Even Houston is car-centric.

Old 07-18-2022, 11:24 AM

9,976 posts, read 5,672,289 times
Chicago police supervisor orders cops to stop chasing a carload of murder suspects

After being told to stop pursuing the car, a stunned officer responded, “The car wanted for the murder?”

“This department’s a joke,” another said.

^^ Emblematic of what the CPD and the citizens they're charged with protecting are up against.

Old 07-18-2022, 11:44 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,246,186 times
Bitey, et.al:

I DO understand if a society were to have members in the community that would move towards vigilantism.

If what Bitey posted is the move towards an organization that is meant to provide ORDER, and to serve and PROTECT, well, then one is better off doing THOSE jobs themselves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago