Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2022, 02:01 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times

Advertisements

Helpful.

Still, 33% of the population accounts for 4% of the murder victims....

To be clear, the stats I listed were victims, not perps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 03:55 PM

1,260 posts, read 944,876 times
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...olice/2851136/

I have to say it's made me sad to see Chicago's crime. I moved from Chicago two years ago, to a city that is pretty safe overall. I have spent a month here visiting family and it's been sad to see how much crime has increased. My friend was carjacked, and my other friend the other day was just robbed at a gas station while pumping gas at gunpoint, all on the northside. Now I see that there is a machete wielding man in my family's neighborhood. I have heard from several friends that they are starting to feel unsafe here.

I grew up in Chicago my entire life until I moved, and while crime was always a factor, it felt more contained to specific areas, and I never felt too uncomfortable walking alone in the early evening. But for the first time ever I am feeling uncomfortable going out at night by myself walking to places after 7:30pm/when the sun goes down.

Old 06-07-2022, 06:47 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,250,689 times
thinkertinker, wishing you well.

Reading your story made me a bit sad... Actually, it makes me sad when you hear people ( my elders) talking about growing up in places like Roseland, Garfield Park, etc. and how WONDERFUL it was when they were children there.

Old 06-08-2022, 07:40 AM

When people have to pay $6 for gas and inflation is just out of control....it's hard enough for folks who make a good income to keep pace, but imagine people on the fringes who were barely making it. Now they are desperate and this is only going to get worse until prices start coming down.

This is also not specific to Chicago. Quite a few cities are seeing this uptick in crime.

Last edited by Kmanshouse; 06-08-2022 at 08:07 AM..

Old 06-08-2022, 07:44 AM

Kmanshouse, good morning,

You presented a very good example of thought and empathy, with your comment.

Old 06-08-2022, 08:19 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
When people have to pay $6 for gas and inflation is just out of control....it's hard enough for folks who make a good income to keep pace, but imagine people on the fringes who were barely making it. Now they are desperate and this is only going to get worse until prices start coming down.

This is also not specific to Chicago. Quite a few cities are seeing this uptick in crime.
I hear you, but I think it's this mentality that has led to an uptick in crime. The fact that being desperate has led to violent crime is sad. The vast majority of people who are in the situation you describe are not turning to violent crime. And why aren't rural areas where people are struggling just as much having record upticks in crime???

People barely making it should get help, but turning to violent crime is not the answer. Again, many are not, but it's the few who are. So not everyone is resorting to violent crime as a way to deal with the situation.

Old 06-08-2022, 09:32 AM

personone, I read you, and I get you!

You are also NOT wrong, on this topic. Like anything in society, things become more accepted and in fact, may get worse, once we accept that "it is what it is."

I think your other comment is valid... Did all the mom-and-pop- store owners become criminals and feel justified to do so??? Maybe? I don't know if we have the stats to prove it. But I really doubt it. I feel they probably had a good sense of work ethic, people skills, self-honor, etc. to "lower" themselves, even in dire times.

Today I was looking at all the violent recent examples here in Milwaukee.: Car crash in the afternoon, so one gets out and shoots the driver of the other car, e.g.

Also, a stabbing over a comment made about someone's bicycle, e.g.

These examples involve men and women/ Black and Hispanic/ Urban Milwaukee and Suburban Milwaukee areas.

I work in a jail, so I keep statistics on inmates. And YES, there are days where mainly WHITE MALE offenders are brought in.

You Chicagoans remember when your North Side had "problems" up until the 90's, and then transitioned to be the "safe" area. And now you are again seeing crimes take places in areas that never saw it OR had not seen those kinds of crimes for some time!

You Chicagoans remember when your Magnificent Mile/ Millennium Park areas were safe, and look what has happened in the last 2 years.

Did COVID have anything to do it??? I tell you what: I don't like to put blame on any THING, because then it detracts from putting the blame on the PERPETRATOR!!!

Stay safe, all!

Old 06-08-2022, 10:23 AM

9,977 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post

Yeah, I'm not buying the premise. The latest crime surge took off well before gas prices and inflation and all that started going haywire. Was there a sudden crime surge when we had inflation and high gas prices/outright gas shortages in the 1970s, or was it just a continuation of crime trends that started a decade earlier?

The surge we're witnessing today has less to do with economics and much more to do with the flagging moral health of the community and how that has translated into a complete lack of political will to deal with the immediate problem.

I'd say I called it back in April 2020 when I predicted indefinite lockdowns were gonna ignite far bigger societal problems than just a pandemic. Six weeks later we had full-scale riots across the country, and we have yet to restore our tattered social fabric to the status quo ante.

Last edited by Bitey; 06-08-2022 at 10:54 AM..

Old 06-08-2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Yeah, I'm not buying the premise. The latest crime surge took off well before gas prices and inflation and all that started going haywire. Was there a sudden crime surge when we had inflation and high gas prices/outright gas shortages in the 1970s, or was it just a continuation of crime trends that started a decade earlier?

The surge we're witnessing today has less to do with economics and much more to do with the flagging moral health of the community and how that has translated into a complete lack of political will to deal with the immediate problem.

I'd say I called it back in April 2020 when I predicted indefinite lockdowns were gonna ignite far bigger societal problems than just a pandemic. Six weeks later we had full-scale riots across the country, and we have yet to restore our tattered social fabric to the status quo ante.
I think it's a combo. I posted earlier, murders are up, but it's largely (sorry) an AA problem in Chicago. Other crimes, like robbery, carjackings, are done for money.

Your argument for having lockdowns causing this falls short when nobody has been locked down for 2 years and the uptick continues.

People commit crimes for two main reasons. Money/opportunity, and anger. Nobody is STILL mad that they had to stay home for a few weeks 2 years ago.

This is class warfare and gang warfare. And the city right now has leadership that hasn't been all that punitive to criminals (opportunity).

Old 06-08-2022, 11:23 AM

9,977 posts, read 5,677,344 times
I didn't say there are lockdowns in the present day causing the problems, I said the riots that erupted from turning the populace stir-crazy damaged the social fabric, and yes, we absolutely are still feeling the fallout of that frayed fabric to this day. The effects of a bomb don't just go away the second after the chemical reaction is complete; the human toll lasts for days or weeks or months or longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago