Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2024, 12:01 PM

78,809 posts, read 61,027,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
I wanted to post a follow-up on my trip to the Chicago suburbs. In short, all was well.

When we checked into the hotel I did ask if catalytic converter theft had been an issue there lately, but they said the last time that happened was about three years ago. During my stay we were in Downers Grove, Wheaton, and Geln Ellyn. All three areas seemed mostly well kept.

We had to buy a few things at the Downers Grove Walmart and I didn't see anything locked up, though I didn't go through the entire store, and there was a large number of u-scan lanes with customers seemingly scanning and paying as they should.

Hello to Master Jay, whom I assume will like my positive post. One negative comment, though not crime related: I will never complain about crazy drivers in Cincinnati ever again. Chicago has us beat for that.

Thanks for the travel tips.
Yeah, I actually lived in one of those cities....it's a nice area and to encounter crime on a trip there would have been pretty rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2024, 07:16 AM

4,673 posts, read 3,323,797 times
Good morning,

I viewed (sometimes I choose not to watch something in its totality, so as to not make my blood boil!) a news report yesterday, about a woman who was attacked in the Jefferson Park neighborhood.

It appears she was walking down Lawrence Avenue around 5:00 a.m. on Monday or Tuesday, and was robbed, and further attacked by 4 armed individuals.

YIKES! Be careful out there, everyone.

Old 02-07-2024, 09:36 AM

2,206 posts, read 1,884,471 times
Jay, there are always going to be incidents like this - there are still robbery crews running around targeting people walking on the street. The incidents have decreased but they are still happening.

I read that crime in January 2024 was down substantially compared to January 2023. However, down was from a big number...

Old 02-07-2024, 09:49 AM

Kmanshouse, good morning,

UGH, it still makes my blood boil!

And yes, I also read last night that there were several armed robberies spanning from Lincoln Park westward towards Austin, possibly by the same crew.

P.S. We need to get a brew/wine in the good ol' Lincoln Square neighborhood!

Old 02-07-2024, 07:54 PM

3,503 posts, read 3,150,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Kmanshouse, good morning,

UGH, it still makes my blood boil!

And yes, I also read last night that there were several armed robberies spanning from Lincoln Park westward towards Austin, possibly by the same crew.

P.S. We need to get a brew/wine in the good ol' Lincoln Square neighborhood!
The most disturbing thing about that story is that the robbery crew, after leaving her battered and shocked, came back just minutes later to terrorize and batter her further. WTF?
She tried to flag down various passers by in the interim and no one would stop to help her.

Old 02-08-2024, 06:26 AM

quigboto, my friend, and THAT is what made me lose further faith in humanity.

You heard the story how I helped a guy in Norwood Park that was shot twice when he called for help from the sidewalk.

I got over to him to help him as fast as I could, and never once hesitated to help a person in need!

Stay well, my friend.

Old 02-08-2024, 07:47 AM

I encourage everyone to be aware of their surroundings, try not to be walking alone in dark hours, refrain from staring at your phone or using earbuds (they take away from your awareness of surroundings!), follow gut feelings if you're uncomfortable about your surroundings, and learn a martial art.... There's NO 100% guarantee with anything in life, but these things CAN help.

P.S. FUN FACT?: DID I EVER MENTION THAT PRESIDENT OBAMA'S TAE KWON DO TEACHER IS MY CLASSMATE?!?

Old 02-10-2024, 12:51 PM

10,046 posts, read 5,761,345 times
Totally unexpected outcome!

Removing cops from Chicago schools ‘not a real good decision,’ anti-violence leader says

Old 02-10-2024, 08:55 PM

57 posts, read 27,115 times
unless if you're going to make a lot of arrests I don't see why they need cops in schools. Seems like squandered resources.

Old 02-14-2024, 02:05 PM

10,046 posts, read 5,761,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nailz View Post
unless if you're going to make a lot of arrests I don't see why they need cops in schools. Seems like squandered resources.
Because a) a lot of these schools are vipers' dens that NEED police supervision; and b) maybe kids will stop getting shot and killed steps outside their school doors if there's a police presence on-site... like Senn used to have until they decided to get rid the school resource officer.

Meanwhile, another victory for equitable policing: Mayor Johnson to end ShotSpotter deal after summer, making good on key campaign promise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago