Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2024, 01:20 PM

10,122 posts, read 5,870,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yep, no one is moving to Miami to escape crime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Here's the big difference: city, county, and state officials in Miami/Dade/Florida actually take the crime problem seriously and are actively trying to contain and reduce it, whereas the city/county/state government here are flat-out hostile to the idea of putting and keeping serious criminals in jail...
... and the results are in:

Miami's 2023 homicide rate: 7.27 per 100,000
Chicago's 2023 homicide rate: 22.7 per 100,000

Miami's non-fatal shootings in 2023: 21.92 per 100,000
Chicago's non-fatal shootings in 2023: 91.42 per 100,000

Miami's robberies in 2023: 120.83 per 100,000
Chicago's robberies in 2023: 412.69 per 100,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2024, 02:09 PM

86 posts, read 36,324 times
All should post stats souces please.

Chicago, IL vs. Miami, FL

The Crime Indices range from 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime). Our crime rates are based on FBI data.

Violent Crimes/100,000

Chicago. 49.9
Miami ... 48.8

USA . .....22.7

Property Crimes.

Chicago. 46.3
Miami......62.7

USA........ 35.4

Last edited by Yac; 05-22-2024 at 04:25 AM..

Old 05-20-2024, 10:29 PM

^^ Here's where I got the Miami data; Here's where I got the Chicago data.

Old 05-21-2024, 03:32 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,935,338 times
Quote:
Hundreds paid to be ‘robbed’ by phony holdup crews to gain favorable immigration status, feds say. (The ‘robbers’ accidentally shot someone during one caper)

Can someone explain why being a crime victim while waiting for your immigration status to be adjudicated should move you to the head of the immigration line? I mean, I'm sorry if you got robbed or your purse got snatched or whatever, but what the hell does that have to do with your immigration claim/status?

"Someone clocked me over the head and took my cell phone -- that makes me want to stay in America even more!"
That's the weirdest thing I've heard in awhile.

Old 05-22-2024, 08:44 PM

60 posts, read 31,414 times
Quote:
As if to drive home the point, here's a recent news story from one of the busiest and most police-patrolled nightlife districts in the city:

Man critical after trying to stop armed robbery of women in Wicker Park

With all due respect to the victims and the white knight who foolishly rode to their rescue and failed... sorry ladies, but your cell phones and purse contents -- which the robbers ended up with anyway -- are far less valuable to me than the peace of mind that my wife and kids won't have to wonder if I'm going to make it after being gut-shot trying to protect total strangers with no articulable plan, skills, or tools for doing so.
Never go to a gun fight unarmed. I don't know what the guy was thinking. Maybe he had beer muscles.

Old 05-23-2024, 11:59 AM

5,993 posts, read 13,247,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
That's sort of interesting, but Chicago's far northwest corner is very suburban and atypical of the rest of the city. I don't think it is going to surprise anyone that Forest Glen or those other neighborhoods have a lower crime rate than San Francisco or Lower & Midtown Manhattan. I think the only reason the San Francisco graphic says it's less dense is because of the large amount of green space there.
That map of Chicago includes far more than leafy suburban neighborhoods than just Forest Glen, it includes the entirety of the North Side north of Lincoln Park including neighborhoods like Uptown, Edgewater, Rogers Park, and Albany Park. All very urban/dense neighborhoods with well known public safety issues. (Edgewater less so).

I think these maps comparing Chicago, San Francisco, and NYC illustrate something very profound and important than many glance and gloss over. The average experience of public safety/crime of the transplanted young urban professional moving to an average north side neighborhood is going to be no worse, and maybe even on average slightly better than the equivalent counterpart in cites like San Francisco or NYC.

There is a simple answer that explains the disparity and discrepancy within Chicago that few people really ever bring up: Segregation, segregation, and segregation.

Chicago being one of the most racially segregated cities explains how your average young urban professional moves to a north side neighborhood and is not any more likely to experience being a victim of crime any more than other major global US cities, even at the same time Chicago have a much higher violent crime rate.

For all the "Chicago personality" talk about "telling it like it is" and "putting one in their place" and saying what's on their mind Chicagoans seem to never talk about the 800 lb gorilla in the room of racial segregation.

The electoral geography of the most recent mayoral primary race between Lightfoot, Vallas, Garcia, and Johnson literally broke down along Black, White, Latino, and Progressive/Boho-hipster. And the crime that experienced between these "four Chicago's are very different."

"Vallas Chicago" is about as safe as the safest cities.

"Johnson Chicago" is probably about as safe as San Francisco.

"Lightfoot Chicago" has crime issues equivalent to St. Louis, Detroit, Baltimore, etc.

Now, every city to extent has these disparities, but they are much more pronounced in Chicago.

NYC and LA are very divided as well, but on lines that are not so racially divided. In NYC there is a bigger divided in voting results and overall culture say between "elite Manhattan + Hipster Brooklyn" and blue collared, relatively conservative Staten Island. And in LA, there is Latino cultural influence everywhere for example except in the most expensive enclaves where celebrities live, but the divide is more between progressive "cool" LA vs home-owning suburban areas that explain where people voted for Karen Bass vs Rock Caruso in the last election.

Its interesting that Chicago is so residentially segregated to the point where White, Black, Latino, and Mixed/Hipster/Progressive Chicago almost live in parallel worlds, while at the same time, there is a general celebration of diversity and intolerance of bigotry, which is interesting because it is almost the inverse of an area say metro Atlanta in Georgia, where Black professionals are so prominent and integrated in nice neighborhoods, but at the same time you have far right wing politicians like say Margorie Taylor Greene who lived and worked a good chunk of her life in metro Atlanta who nearly literally came straight out of confederate flag waiving trailer park "redneck" culture.

Very interesting.

Old 05-23-2024, 03:28 PM

5,044 posts, read 7,542,026 times
Quote:
... and the results are in:

Miami's 2023 homicide rate: 7.27 per 100,000
Chicago's 2023 homicide rate: 22.7 per 100,000

Miami's non-fatal shootings in 2023: 21.92 per 100,000
Chicago's non-fatal shootings in 2023: 91.42 per 100,000

Miami's robberies in 2023: 120.83 per 100,000
Chicago's robberies in 2023: 412.69 per 100,000
South Florida is known for under reporting crime.

Old 05-23-2024, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
South Florida is known for under reporting crime.
We're talking rate differences of 3x-4x for these categories. You can only BS people so much about the prevalence of serious crime, especially when it involves dead bodies and gunshot wounds.

Old 05-24-2024, 11:13 AM

Babylon Bee headline: Illinois bill relabels ‘offender’ to ‘justice-impacted individual’

Except... it's not a Babylon Bee headline.... this is actually happening.

We live under a retardocracy: change my mind.

Old 05-24-2024, 03:59 PM

60 posts, read 31,414 times
Quote:
Babylon Bee headline: Illinois bill relabels ‘offender’ to ‘justice-impacted individual’

Except... it's not a Babylon Bee headline.... this is actually happening.

We live under a retardocracy: change my mind.
Except that this only applies to drug, mental health and veterans court cases. I don't think drug users or mentally ill people should be criminalized, thats must my opinon and I'm all for helping rehabilitate veterans who have commited crimes. This is only for people who are in this programs. Having the lable of convict or offender prevents a lot of these guys from reintegrating into society. That's a fact. I see nothing controversial about this bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago