Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 03:42 PM

4 posts, read 30,852 times

Advertisements

I love the architecture in the area, and the commute to work would be less than 10 min via the CTA. What do you guys think of Madison and Damon? I've driven past Madison and Western and things really take a turn for the worse. Ive read that the number one crime is car break-ins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 05:38 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,287,737 times
Default East Garfield Park

That area is actually United Center, which has gone through dramatic changes. 10 years ago United Center was very rough. Lot's has happened since than. The Henry Horner homes have been demolished and new developements are being built all over.

I agree, things do get worse west of Western. That will change too in time. Damen was like Western 10 years ago, and Ashland was like Damen as well. Union Park now has the annual Pitchfork festival.

You will see posts from people who will say that United Center is super dangerous, etc.. blah blah blah. Pay them no mind, they haven't been to that area is ages. See for yourself. You are correct, most of the crime in that area is property damage or theft, which can be avoided by either parking in a gated lot or installing a good alarm system.

The one negative aspect around United Center is lack of commercial outlets. Hardly one store or bar in the whole area. That will also change in time.

Last edited by Savoir Faire; 04-22-2008 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 04-22-2008, 07:06 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
United Center? You are saying people are claiming this is a neighborhood name now? LMAO.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:32 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
United Center? You are saying people are claiming this is a neighborhood name now? LMAO.
Yeah, all those parking lots
enough land to call it a neighborhood, no?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:33 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,142 times
I'm actually pretty shocked that a few bars/restaurants haven't opened up closer to there in the last few years, considering the UC has a game every few nights from mid-September to June (to June again someday, at least), and the area has improved quite a bit.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:41 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
When they rebuild more of the housing stock that once was in the area and the area gets better I am sure bars will return. You have to look at the zoning too. Most of that area might be in dry precincts...

Old 04-23-2008, 09:03 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,869,214 times
Default United Center

Savoir Faire,

I am still awaiting your response from 2840 W Wilcox. That was not misinformation at all. The house sold for $430M (after being rehabbed in 2006) and sold for $139M before being rehabbed in 2005. It is now listed post-rehab for $175M. Not a good investment by any means.

With regards to United Center, it is one big parking lot and will remain so for the foreseeable future as those parking lots generate revenue. I don't see those vast asphalt lots being made into housing or restaurants anytime soon. The whole area between Ashland and Damen is somewhat of an eyesore along Madison because of all the parking lots.

Outside of watching a Bulls Game or another event in the United Center I am more than happy to drive 30-40mph along Madison to get home. I work often at Oglevie downtown and you can generally avoid most of the worst traffic by driving thru rough areas. Madison west of say Ashland (1600W) fits this bill and I have never been stuck in traffic though you have to be careful of not hitting one of the locals walking.

Original Poster:
I suggest going a few blocks north of Madison to get away from the parking lots of United Center. North of grand and the rail line at damen is so so so so much better, but more money obviously. And west of western it definitely gets much worse. I have some friends who I visited at Leavitt and Madison 2 years ago. They were hosting a wine tasting in their very nice new condo. When I asked them what they thought of their neighbors they gave me this crazy look. "Oh, we just come and go. We don't interract with those people." They were literally prisoners in their own home and were afraid to go for walks outside their home. I refuse to live like this. Even in Humboldt Park near north avenue (not south of grand or west of pulaski), I can go for walks though I do keep aware of those around me. Wherever you live, I hope you can talk with the neighbors and not fear somebody breaking into your car or home. 2 years ago, Leavitt and Madison was not an area that made me feel comfortable at night on non-game or event nights. When, they have events going on at United Center, that area is more safe with more police and just people in general.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:11 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,287,737 times
Humboldt, that house was obviously never worth $430,000. If it sold for $139K a year before, even with updates and rehab it would not appreciate 300 percent, in any market. That sounds like a mortgage scam, which was rampant a few years back. The tribune did an article about it.

That house could have been rehabbed, but if its in bad conditions than it doesn't matter whether it was rehabbed.

The area around Madison and Leavitt has actually had 3 whole blocks of brand new construction of luxury townhomes and condos. If your friends are afraid of these people, than I don't know what to say.

That being said, neighborhoods vary from block to block. One block can be nice the other really bad. Go down Washington and Damen, you will not be able to buy a house there for less than $400,000, even in this market. If you can find one that is NOT in need of a gut rehab or tear down, let me know, I'll buy it myself.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:42 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
The one negative aspect around United Center is lack of commercial outlets. Hardly one store or bar in the whole area. That will also change in time.
Famous last words! Don't hold your breath for that to happen. People have been saying that in Uptown for decades now. Maybe the United Center will eventually spur some sports bars and restaurants, but it won't be any time soon.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:24 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,869,214 times
Default United Center

Lookout Kid,

I have been hearing that area would come around since the 1990s when the Bulls were winning.

I do like the area north of the tracks (Grand Avenue basically). Within a few blocks the United Center is just too open with all those parking lots. So long as those parking lots make money and parking garages are not built, I can't see that area changing too much anytime soon.

North of the tracks in West Town is a different story. I really like that area and would buy there if I found the right property, which I hope to do in the next year or so.

Savoir and I discussed EGP in DM. Savoir is very knowledgeable about this area. We both agree it is a work in progress. East of Western is definitely better.

I am still not a fan of the area around Leavitt and Madison though there is some nice development, still a lot of shady elements there. I like being able to walk the streets within a few blocks of where I live without fearing being mugged. I can actually do that in the part of Humboldt Park where I live (though if I were 3 blocks south that would be a different story). I would definitely have to carry a firearm to not worry about being mugged in certain parts of Leavitt and Madison at night on non-game nights in the summer. I do not walk around armed in Humboldt Park, nor have I ever felt the need to, though I do stay north of grand avenue.

East of Ashland I feel comfortable south of the tracks and Grand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago