Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:25 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times

Advertisements

I take the bus there every day. There's a liquor store at Madison and Damen that you couldn't pay me to live near. There's some serious riff raff that hangs out there.

Did you drive by when the weather was nice? That eerie calm won't be there when it's warm outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 09:38 PM

7 posts, read 27,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I take the bus there every day. There's a liquor store at Madison and Damen that you couldn't pay me to live near. There's some serious riff raff that hangs out there.

Did you drive by when the weather was nice? That eerie calm won't be there when it's warm outside.
I did drive by on a day last week when it was pretty warm. I've noticed that liquor store, but when I drove by it at night it was closed (on 2 separate occasions). Does anyone know if that store closes early every day? There were Bulls/Hawks games going on the nights when I drove by, so I thought maybe for some reason the city made them close on game nights. Hopefully it closes early every night.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:03 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,869,214 times
Default I would stay east of ashland

Warren and Damen is just east of newly built projects, complete with flashing blue lights. I would not go too far of ashland or your ghetto black neighbors to the west will see you as an easy target. South of grand I would stay east of ashland and south of grand I would look east of ashland. Kinzie industrial corridor is north of lake, new projects are between lake and washington and then you have the parking lots near united center.

I looked at some condos at 1640 w ogden and felt I was too close to the projects (and this is coming from a guy who has lived in humboldt park for the last 3 years). The areas east of there (ashland is 1600w) were nice but just west of there was a subsidized senior development with lots of questionable people hanging around and west of there were all the parking lots for united center.

My advice is to stay away from westhaven area, too many potential problems from your ghetto black neighbors.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:29 PM

7 posts, read 27,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Warren and Damen is just east of newly built projects, complete with flashing blue lights. I would not go too far of ashland or your ghetto black neighbors to the west will see you as an easy target. South of grand I would stay east of ashland and south of grand I would look east of ashland. Kinzie industrial corridor is north of lake, new projects are between lake and washington and then you have the parking lots near united center.

I looked at some condos at 1640 w ogden and felt I was too close to the projects (and this is coming from a guy who has lived in humboldt park for the last 3 years). The areas east of there (ashland is 1600w) were nice but just west of there was a subsidized senior development with lots of questionable people hanging around and west of there were all the parking lots for united center.

My advice is to stay away from westhaven area, too many potential problems from your ghetto black neighbors.
Humboldt1 - couldn't the same be said about your neighborhood? I understand from reading some of your posts that you live on what is considered the "good side" of HP, but you live in close proximity to undesireables, section 8 housing, gangs, crime, etc. Is that not a similar situation? (Just trying to establish a basis for comparison here - I actually also considered the area near Division & California).

Old 04-22-2009, 11:46 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,869,214 times
Default Humboldt Park vs. United Center

Tonitz,

I don't live in the best part of Humboldt Park, the best parts are just west of Western, but I am certainly not in the worst part either.

We have lots of gangs and some section 8 renters, but no major project developments.

In Humboldt Park, it is mostly hispanic vs. United which is almost all black among is poorer residents.

South of grand and division is almost all black in Humboldt Park and the worst part of Humboldt Park. The Hispanic parts of Humboldt Park are not great but certainly much better off than the southern parts of Humboldt Park that border Garfield Park and the western parts that border Austin (both Austin and Garfield Park are almost entirely black and poor). Northern parts of Humboldt Park mirror Logan Square and southern parts mirror Garfield Park. I am just a few blocks south of Logan Square (bloomingdale is the border (1800N) and I live just south of North (1600N)).

I see more hope for Humboldt Park than west of United Center as the projects are still being built west of damen and south of lake. That area will be a den of crackheads and welfare cases for years to come. Humboldt Park, particularly west of the park is rough, but getting better. I see little hope for Westhaven Community, even with all the mixed income housing going up. Only an idiot is going to buy a market rate place in there.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:51 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Tonitz,
I see more hope for Humboldt Park than west of United Center as the projects are still being built west of damen and south of lake. That area will be a den of crackheads and welfare cases for years to come. Humboldt Park, particularly west of the park is rough, but getting better. I see little hope for Westhaven Community, even with all the mixed income housing going up. Only an idiot is going to buy a market rate place in there.
Said Mr. White Flight, as he slowly climbed out of his time machine, and began channeling Archie Bunker........

Old 10-13-2009, 05:54 PM

3 posts, read 15,777 times
What about Grand and Division, Hamlin St?

Old 10-13-2009, 06:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSchool04 View Post
What about Grand and Division, Hamlin St?
Eh... there are better parts of town, to put it charitably.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:08 PM

3 posts, read 15,777 times
shoot it to me straight, no need to be charitable. I was thinking of buying a place around that area for a re-hab but don't know a thing about the neighborhood.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:18 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
^ Which is reason number one you should not buy around there. ^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago