Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 03:13 PM

3 posts, read 15,725 times

Advertisements

OK, I suppose I would be described as an artist/intellectual type because I'm into "weird" music and art and I'm a teacher. I would also describe myself as a black male 20something. I have been deeply considering moving to Humboldt Park for my next rental because:
1)A big comfortable place in Humboldt is totally in my price range. I've been living in a modern but overpriced shoe box in Hyde Park for the past 2 years. I want a significantly bigger place for the same or less money in Humboldt, which totally seems doable if Craig's List is an indicator.
2) I definitely fit the urban pioneer profile. I have lived in some pretty dicey neighborhoods for cheap rent in the past in other cities. I didn't like the experience so much, mainly because my apt sucked, which should not be a problem in Humboldt because I'm making much more money now.
3) I love parks and bike-riding.
4) HOWEVER, just because I have significant big-city living experience from the past and am not totally freaked out by some things which do make some others very afraid, at the same time I do not want to be constantly stressed out/afraid for my life. Chicago's rough neighborhoods are a whole other ball game compared to many other big cities' rough neighborhoods.
5)I'm black (although sometimes do get mistaken for Puerto Rican) and am wondering if this should be a special consideration for ptentially moving to Humboldt. Will this make me stick it out in a bad way (ie possible black/latino tension there)? I heard that part of Humboldt has a high concentration of blacks but that this is one of the roughest parts of the neighborhood. Given my profile, is there any part of Humboldt which may be best for me? Should I consider the blacker part of HP so I won't stick out so much in a bad way or should I not sweat it so much since I could be mistaken either way by blacks or latinos? Do you guys think HP is a good bet for me in general or should I truly not consider it? Where are msot of HP's blacks concetrated and what parts of HP should I focus on checking out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 03:42 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Let's see, you live Hyde Park -- great place, probably THE best place for a 20 something black guy in Chicago. A little pricey, but you are MAKING MORE money now...
No worries about Black-Hispanic tension or accidentally getting in the middle of something 'cuase you look like somebody you ain't -- there are about 1000% more gang bangers in Humboldt Park, both Hispanic & black than there are in Hyde Park.

You love parks and bike riding, which are hugely popular in Hyde Park, and way low on the hassle factor. You currently are not suffocating for lack of "weird" music in Hyde Park, you certainly have no lack of artist/intellectual outlets down their either.

You don't want to be stressed out. In talking with some folks who are black and work down town they have told me that THEY get stressed out on the north side El sometimes because of the reactions of other El riders and cops, that is a lot less likely to happen in Hyde Park.

You are a teacher so I'm guessing you either drive to work or take public transit someplace close, right? Why screw that up? It is no fun being that far west of the Kennedy and all the north side traffic -- not to mention that Hyde Park actually gets lake breezes in the summer and Humboldt Park never does...

My suggestion, assuming that you work downtown or close to Hyde Park is just get a nicer apartment... Odds are rents will be at worst FLAT with all the condos in the South Loop and even Bronzeville. Why risk it?

Here's something you did not mention -- chicks. Whether you date within you own race or others you are not going to get hassled in Hyde Park, that is huge. If you have a great apartment but your dates are too creeped by the neighborhood, what good it that going to do? (and no offense if you bat for the other team, but Humbolt Park is just no where near as homosexual friendly as other northside (boystown) areas)

Old 04-11-2008, 03:53 PM

249 posts, read 685,163 times
The south and west areas of Humboldt Park used to be the predominately black areas of the community area -- basically the Milwaukee Road tracks and then Grand Avenue after the rail line turns north. But those lines have been blurred very much in the past few years. Residents such as Mr. Humboldt1 can probably tell you if this has resulted in any additional tension. Frankly, the areas that are still predominately black (just north of Chicago Ave and west of the railroad tracks) aren't about urban pioneering as much as urban survival. They are some pretty bleak areas, without even a sniff of the development of East Garfield Park to the south. It's going nowhere. This area also leaves you detached from the park itself and any of the art/music, restaurants, nightlife, etc., that you might find interesting in Wicker Park/Bucktown to the east.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:50 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,869,214 times
Default humboldt park rental

You are like my dream tenant. It isn't so much about race as it is economics in Humboldt Park. You will be much more comfortable in the northern and eastern parts.

Stay north and grand and division west of the park. Southern and western humboldt isn't bad because the people are black. It is bad because the people who happen to be black are ghetto with only street values. Stay away from these people if at all possible.

If you are good people, which it seems you are by your post people will see you as an artist/teacher who happens to be black. I don't think they will mistake you for a gangbanger unless you act the part.

Humboldt Park is beautiful and certainly getting better, especially to the east but it is a work in progress. The further you stay away from austin and garfield park the better you will be.

I am white as can be and come home every night 9-10pm in my business suits and have never had any problems, but I live just one block south of north ave. Heed my advice and you will be fine. I think you would most fit in just east and west of the park. Note anything east of the park is westtown, there is no west bucktown despite what realtors will tell you.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:38 PM

3 posts, read 15,725 times
Default Hey

Hey Humboldt1, are you going to have a vacant 1 or 2 BR around Sept 1? Or do you know of a good one?

Old 05-06-2008, 10:03 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,287,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBIE0808 View Post
OK, I suppose I would be described as an artist/intellectual type because I'm into "weird" music and art and I'm a teacher. I would also describe myself as a black male 20something. I have been deeply considering moving to Humboldt Park for my next rental because:
1)A big comfortable place in Humboldt is totally in my price range. I've been living in a modern but overpriced shoe box in Hyde Park for the past 2 years. I want a significantly bigger place for the same or less money in Humboldt, which totally seems doable if Craig's List is an indicator.
2) I definitely fit the urban pioneer profile. I have lived in some pretty dicey neighborhoods for cheap rent in the past in other cities. I didn't like the experience so much, mainly because my apt sucked, which should not be a problem in Humboldt because I'm making much more money now.
3) I love parks and bike-riding.
4) HOWEVER, just because I have significant big-city living experience from the past and am not totally freaked out by some things which do make some others very afraid, at the same time I do not want to be constantly stressed out/afraid for my life. Chicago's rough neighborhoods are a whole other ball game compared to many other big cities' rough neighborhoods.
5)I'm black (although sometimes do get mistaken for Puerto Rican) and am wondering if this should be a special consideration for ptentially moving to Humboldt. Will this make me stick it out in a bad way (ie possible black/latino tension there)? I heard that part of Humboldt has a high concentration of blacks but that this is one of the roughest parts of the neighborhood. Given my profile, is there any part of Humboldt which may be best for me? Should I consider the blacker part of HP so I won't stick out so much in a bad way or should I not sweat it so much since I could be mistaken either way by blacks or latinos? Do you guys think HP is a good bet for me in general or should I truly not consider it? Where are msot of HP's blacks concetrated and what parts of HP should I focus on checking out?
Humboldt Park is a huge neighborhood. I used to live just north of the park, so I'll give you the low down. The eastern part is definitely safer and more livable. Try to stay as close to the park as possible. Sacramento divides the park in half, anything east of Sacramento is basically ok. West of Kedzie and you are treading dangerous ground. West of Central Park and you are in urban hell, even by pioneer standards. This is where many of the shootings occur in the city.

One drawback to living in Humboldt Park is poor public transportation. The closest rail line is the blue line, which is in Wicker Park. So you have to have a car.

As far as racial tensions go, I don't think there is much tension between latinos and blacks, most of the tensions are between gangs, Maniac Disciples, Latin Kings, and Spanish Cobras.

So basically follow these rules and you will be ok
1. Stay east of Kedzie
2. North of North Avenue
3. Drive a car

Last edited by Savoir Faire; 05-06-2008 at 10:37 PM..

Old 05-07-2008, 08:24 AM

Default The Real Humboldt Park

I apologize in advance to Mr Biggles.

You do not know jack about Humboldt Park. I live west of Central Park on a relatively quiet street. East of Sacramento south of Bloomingdale is West Town.

Only north of north avenue to be safe? WTF?

Phl Gd,

I need your input to straighten out this person claims to know our neighborhood.

Grand Avenue is the line of demarcation in Humboldt Park. North of there it stays predominately hispanic until at least diversey, even milwaukee.

Humboldt Park is block by block. I agree that east of Homan/Kimball it is slightly nicer by the park.

I routinely walk around my neighborhood wearing business suits and have not had any problems.

Mr. Biggles, where do you live? When is the last time you spent considerable time in my neighborhood?

Your post makes parts of my neighborhood sound like Garfield Park, Lawndale, or Englewood. That is only true for areas south of division and grand.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:13 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiggles View Post
One drawback to living in Humboldt Park is poor public transportation. The closest rail line is the blue line, which is in Wicker Park. So you have to have a car.
i live in Humboldt Park and don't have a car and have managed fine. you seem to have forgotten that there are buses that service the area. yeah, its not a good as a train nearby, but it's better than nothing and having to rely on a car. I live west of Pulaski, north of Division (it's not Lincoln Park, but my particular area doesn't scream out "urban hell". I don't hear gun shots every day, I walk around at night w/o worry, and AFAIK, there isn't that much violent crime. there's some trash, and a few ill maintained building, but lots of nice houses and apartments too (even some condos). I've seen worse in this city. Like Humboldt1 said, it seems to go block by block) and use the #70 Division, #53 Pulaski, #72 North Ave, and #65 Grand, and that's just near my area. on a good day, I can get to the Loop in in less than 40 minutes (on several occasions, I get there in less than 30!). if you don't have a car, you'll be fine in Humboldt Park, so long as you loosen up that dependence on the "L" and use the city's buses (which people fought for tooth and nail, but then completely shun. not every neighborhood can have a L stop)

Old 05-07-2008, 11:01 AM

Default Humboldt Park Public Transportation

Eevee,

I agree with your last post. Buses are abundant for those willing to take them. There is also a Metra stop at Cicero and Grand by the Home Depot and Chase, which is technically not in Humboldt Park, but close.

I have a car because I need it for work. I am not a fan of either the L or the bus but have taken both when it was convenient or I missed my Metra train. (My bank offices all have Metra stops)

And you are right, so long as you stay north of division west of the park it is livable. The people are poorer than Lincoln Park, but not too different than the western half of Logan Square or Avondale, perhaps only a little poorer. Near Chicago Avenue it is a different story, but then again that is nearly 1 mile south of where I live.

There are no vacant buildings or boarded up buildings on my block and it is all families who may not make alot of money but are basically good people doing the best that they can to get by. Sure, there are some bad apples, but I did my part last year when I removed 3 problem tenants from my building. Honestly, they may have been the worst people on my block. My neighbors thanked me personally for getting rid of them, many in Spanish.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:07 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,287,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I apologize in advance to Mr Biggles.

You do not know jack about Humboldt Park. I live west of Central Park on a relatively quiet street. East of Sacramento south of Bloomingdale is West Town.

Only north of north avenue to be safe? WTF?

Phl Gd,

I need your input to straighten out this person claims to know our neighborhood.

Grand Avenue is the line of demarcation in Humboldt Park. North of there it stays predominately hispanic until at least diversey, even milwaukee.

Humboldt Park is block by block. I agree that east of Homan/Kimball it is slightly nicer by the park.

I routinely walk around my neighborhood wearing business suits and have not had any problems.

Mr. Biggles, where do you live? When is the last time you spent considerable time in my neighborhood?

Your post makes parts of my neighborhood sound like Garfield Park, Lawndale, or Englewood. That is only true for areas south of division and grand.
I know the area very well and was just there yesterday. As stated before, Humboldt Park varies greatly from area, so I wasn't making sweeping generalizations. My understanding is that Humboldt Park goes all the way to Western. Growing up I had friends who lived near Paseo Boricua, right by the flag, which is right by California. We always considered this to be the heart of Humboldt Park. I think it still is. The Humboldt Park Festival/ Puerto Rican festival on division starts right after Western and ends by Sacramento. The park itself goes starts at California.

I never stated that south of North Avenue was dangerous. What I did say was that North of North is nicer. I stand by my statement that west of Central Park is bad. Look at the crime statistics CLEARMAP Chicago Police Department Geographic Information System . I think the western edge of Humboldt Park is comparable to East Garfield or Lawndale.

In my experience, crime gets worse the further west and the further you are from the blue line. Augusta and Sacramento are not too bad, Augusta and Pulaski is seriously messed up. Your block might be ok, but the surrounding area is not. Read posts on other threads and you will find others who agree.

I also never stated that there is no public transportation, I stated that is was poor, which it is.

By the way, Diversey is not Humboldt Park, it's either Hermosa or Logan Square, depending on how west you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago