Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:31 PM

400 posts, read 567,845 times

Advertisements

First let me state that I have been through many of the related threads and have some information and opinions already but want some advice specific to our situation. Also, politeness and informed opinions are appreciated.

My husband got a great job in the loop and we are moving to the area with three little ones in just over a month. I have been knee deep in Chicago neighborhood research so I recognize street/neighborhood names. My questions pertain to an apartment I am looking at on the south west corner of the actual park (on Kedzie). I know this is not portrayed as the safest area and we are not the type of family to be scared off by that but here are some of my thoughts and concerns.

1) Money: We are not millionaires but we could definitely afford to live in another (higher priced) area. We are looking at Humboldt park because we are interested in committing ourselves to a community and want to be a part of seeing things change for the better wherever we go. However, If we choose to get a place in HP we would want to make the most of our money and get a BIG nice apt. Might this make us stand out as a target for theft, vandalism etc.? We anticipate paying between 1500-2000/month. Are there a good number of nicer homes like this or will we be the only ones on the street?

2) Whiteness: I see that white people are a minority in the area. This is not a big deal to us. We live in an area in Tulsa now with a high Mexican and Black population and love it. The issue is that we would like to be a PART of our community. We do not want to move in and offend everyone around us. In your experience, will a white family be welcomed by the surrounding community? will they be targeted for violence? will they be avoided, ignored or does it matter?

Also accepting suggestions for other areas to live but we are not interested in driving everyday or living in the suburbs. Schools are not so much an issue as we teach our little ones at home.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 08:34 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,354,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdeanne View Post
My questions pertain to an apartment I am looking at on the south west corner of the actual park (on Kedzie). I know this is not portrayed as the safest area and we are not the type of family to be scared off by that but here are some of my thoughts and concerns.
If you are so concerned about being one of the only white families in an area, perhaps you should not move to it.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:41 PM

all I see is numbers about the demographics, that doesn't really tell me about how people relate to one another. I have no problem being one of a few white families as long as the environment is not a hostile one.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:43 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,354,220 times
Quote:
all I see is numbers about the demographics, that doesn't really tell me about how people relate to one another. I have no problem being one of a few white families as long as the environment is not a hostile one.
That part of Humboldt Park is really dangerous. It does not matter what color you are.

If you want to be in a mixed area look into Rogers Park,Albany Park, or Logan Square. They are generally much safer than the part of Humboldt Park you mentioned.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:49 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,808,526 times
Quote:
We are looking at Humboldt park because we....... want to be a part of seeing things change for the better wherever we go.

Well isn't that white of you.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:58 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,980,843 times
How much crime and anti-social behavior are you willing to tolerate?

Old 04-18-2011, 08:59 PM

sheesh did I offend everybody already?? I really don't understand. I have heard people from several races say in these forums that the neighborhood is on an upward trend. I like that.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:09 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,920,666 times
Humboldt Park is not on an upward trend. The safest part of the neighborhood is the far eastern part which many realtors refer to as "West Wicker Park" or "West Bucktown." West of the Park is way worse than East, but East is still bad.

It is one of the heaviest gang areas of Chicago and is the center of violence between several of the largest Latino gangs in Chicago.

I would avoid.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:09 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,980,843 times
Quote:
sheesh did I offend everybody already?? I really don't understand. I have heard people from several races say in these forums that the neighborhood is on an upward trend. I like that.
No one is being rude or unhelpful to you...except maybe Tom, but he's just curmudgeonly to everyone.

There's a fair bit of outdoor drug-dealing, assaults, and armed robberies in that area. If you're okay with high crime, I suppose you might get a great deal on an apartment.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:11 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,573,396 times
I have visited Tulsa several times on business in the past. Short of deliberating seeking out a meth lab I can think of no sane reason for anyone to relocate to Tulsa from Chicago that would show the same level of outright lunacy of relocating to Humbolt Park from Tulsa.

If you want diversity and can afford someplace like Hyde Park, or Beverely chosse those. If your budget is tighter maybe Rogers Park. If you are into living in an area where speculative real estste practices have completed imploded the values try Archer Heights or any of the other parts of Chicago that would not constitute a literal threat to your safety on a daily basis the way Humbolt Park would...

Respectfully the thought that any one family, completely unfamiliar with the historic problems of Chicago, could possibly be part of change for the better while you homeschool behind doors thick enough to be mistaken for a bank vault is laughable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago