Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 03:41 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
"One of the victims, Luis Ortiz, 29, suffered a gunshot wound to the leg and was pronounced dead at 12:44 a.m. at Mt. Sinai Hospital, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office."

Fatal gunshot wound to the leg? That's a nasty bullet, eh?
If he lost enough blood (hypovolemic shock) and/or the bullet severed the femoral artery of course it is possible.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 08-02-2008 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 09:02 PM

3 posts, read 15,743 times
Default More Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village advice wanted

Me: 27 yr old black male, teacher, kinda artsy/hipster-ish, but not annoyingly so (I played high school football in Indiana, for God's sake!)
The place I'm looking at is on the 2600 block of W. Rice St, 1 block north fo Chicago and 1/2 block west of Western. It was listed as being in the Ukrainian Village, but thanks to this site I am well-aware that west of Western and north of Chicago is technically Humboldt Park. Also from reading this site I understand HP's reputation is dicey at best and that some parts of Chicago Ave. have a really bad rap, although I am not sure if this pertains to where I may live or to farther west (esp. west of Kedzie). Once I saw that this place was west of Western I was very skeptical, but after actually going there at day and night I was very pleasantly surprised. Any thoughts?
I am planning on living alone and will be driving to work, which makes me concerned about burglaries and car theft. My other main option is in West Town, on Fry street right off of Ashland. This place is bigger and in a less questionable area, but not nearly as close to the bars, restaurants, and nightlife of Ukrainian Village. It seems to me that one place offers easier access to nightlife but presents more safety issues, while the other is safer but not quite as close to the nightlife. I need some tips/advice, esp from those very familiar with either area, esp. the one on the border of HP/UKV.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBIE0808 View Post
Me: 27 yr old black male, teacher, kinda artsy/hipster-ish, but not annoyingly so (I played high school football in Indiana, for God's sake!)
The place I'm looking at is on the 2600 block of W. Rice St, 1 block north fo Chicago and 1/2 block west of Western. It was listed as being in the Ukrainian Village, but thanks to this site I am well-aware that west of Western and north of Chicago is technically Humboldt Park....

I would go with the "other main option is in West Town, on Fry street right off of Ashland."

Old 08-20-2008, 08:28 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
Fry and Ashland is safer and has better nightlife and much easier access to the el.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:18 PM

4 posts, read 12,315 times
These people getting shot in Humboldt Park are usually injured between the hours of 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. I find that staying in my house during those hours keeps us pretty much out of harms way.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:53 PM

Here is a wonderful story out of Humboldt Park from last week:

Humboldt Park couple charged with raping neighbor - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/11/humboldt-park-couple-charged-with-raping-neighbor.html - broken link)

Old 11-05-2008, 09:41 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,243,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Here is a wonderful story out of Humboldt Park from last week:

Humboldt Park couple charged with raping neighbor - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/11/humboldt-park-couple-charged-with-raping-neighbor.html - broken link)
Heh, could happen anywhere.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Heh, could happen anywhere.
Really? In that manner? Did you read the story or are you just talking about rape in general?

Old 01-02-2009, 09:11 AM

13 posts, read 31,845 times
New to the forum...I'm going to bring back this thread hopefully!

What do you all think of the Chicago Parks and Rec in Humboltd Park? I want to join the gym there. (1440 N. Sacramento Ave) I just moved to the city about a month and a half ago. 20 something female..I will be driving there after work in Forest Park on the weekdays, around 5:30-6pm, then returning to my place in Bucktown after working out, 7 or 8pm. Is it safe? What exit do you recommend from 290?

Old 01-02-2009, 10:41 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,243,532 times
Get off at Sacramento and go north on Sacramento to Humbolt Pak from the near west suburbs.
that's the quickest way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago