Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 24,886 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to the Chicago area with my husband and 2 small children and am having a hard time finding rentals that I can afford. I have seen a couple in Humboldt Park but I need as much information as possible to make an informed decision for my family. I really want to have the kids in a good school and not much crime. Don't want to have to worry more than I already do. My husbands potential employer is near Humboldt Park and he doesn't want to have to commute more then 20 minutes or so. Please any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 08:57 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Still too many gangs for most people's comfort level. Unless you relish being an urban pioneer, stay away from Humboldt park.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:24 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,434 times
My aunts have lived there for their whole lives and while cosmetically it looks better, there is still too much of a gang and drug influence there. My aunt told me that a couple with a small child moved into one of the rehabbed townhomes a few years back, but moved out a year later because of gunfire in the area.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:33 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
The eastern part was fairly aggressively marketed as "West Bucktown" by realtors during the housing boom. I don't know how effective that ultimately was on HP as a whole. From the looks of the area near Grand and Spaulding (where I was a few months ago), not very. I'd concur with the recommendations above. If you must, stay as far east as you can.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:31 PM

86 posts, read 698,176 times
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Humboldt Park still quite rough particularly from Division St. south to Kinzie St. This area borders the East Garfield Park neighborhood which is really rowdy.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:44 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
What is your price range?

Old 09-16-2007, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 24,886 times
Thanks everyone for the info. Our price range is going to probably be no more than $1,000 a month for at least a 2 bedroom preferrably 3. Where should I look to stay relatively close but not too bad of a neighborhood?

Old 10-04-2007, 08:56 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Default Hmmm...

To be perfectly honest you'll have a hard time finding a one-bedroom in your price range in most areas near the city. I would focus your search on Oak Park, which shouldn't be more than a 20 minute drive to the Humboldt Park area, yet has great schools and much less crime than much of the west side.

Here is a link to a craigslist listing for a 2 bedroom in Oak Park that you might check into:
Great 5 rm / 2 bdrm apartment (broken link)

Hope I've been on help!

Old 10-04-2007, 12:37 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,967 times
If you are looking for good public schools, I would stay out of the city itself, and check into the suburbs that border the city. Chicago public schools are not the greatest. As someone suggested, you can check Oak Park and maybe Niles.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:52 PM

1 posts, read 12,318 times
Born and raised in Humboldt Park, currently living in Logan Square (for another week, then we're off to Austin). Anyway, the area used to be really, really, really rough. REALLY rough. Things have changed as gentrification has taken place; it's safer now, but it's still not a bastion of security. You won't find a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment for a $1000 (if you do, then you're in one of the bad parts o' Humboldt Park . . . or you've got quite a steal on your hands). Where are the properties you've come across for that price? If it's at Chicago Ave / Spaulding, stay away -- not a safe area.

As noted above, Chicago public schools aren't great. They're improving, but still have a ways to go. Oak Park/River Forest is a 20-30 minute ride to Humboldt Park (15 with no traffic), and has good schools.

Good luck to you and your family; Chicago's a cool city, but has it's drawbacks live everywhere else. I'm gonna miss it, that's for damn sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago