Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 03:18 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times

Advertisements

There are many places in Chicago where a little bit of history occured. A good number of the original buildlings have been demolished and replaced. However, many still remain. I found a web page (not sure how accurate it is) where many addresses associated with the mob and a few other people are listed.

There is one address listed (4631 N. Paulina) where John Dillinger used to hide out. It is strange, when I moved into that building years ago I had a weird feeling about that place! In fact, I was convinced there was a ghost in my apartment! I did not know at the time the building used to be one of Dillingers haunts! Maybe it still is?! What if I lived in the same apartment? Wow, I sure would like to find out!

Chicago Tourist Attractions Hometown Offbeat Chicago

This page deals mostly with locations of note on the Northside-Bugs Moran territory and John Dillinger hangouts... I know some of you here live close to some of these addresses.

If others have any other info of notable places in Chicago having to do with the mob,crime in general, or famous/rich people of old please post!

Last edited by Avengerfire; 02-10-2008 at 04:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,522 times
Default hey

I actually live in that building now...and I've been curious about the history of it. Have you found out anything else?

Max

Old 07-02-2008, 03:04 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
At 63rd and Western Frankie McErlane bushwacked Spike O'Donnel in the very first gangster submachine gun attack. It was one of the few instances in which McErlane, who killed more men then smallpox, missed.

The Pony Inn was at Central and Roosevelt. Some of the West Side O'Donnels (a different gang from the Spike's South Side O'Donnel gang, most of whom were killed by McErlane) were drinking there and got into a gunfight with Capone's guys. Asst. States Attorney Billy McSwiggin was drinking with the O'Donnels and was killed.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:06 PM

220 posts, read 744,451 times
My first place in Chicago was in a building on the southern end of the block where the St. Valentines Day massacre happened.

It was pretty cool when I realized it.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:27 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,723,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendelman View Post
My first place in Chicago was in a building on the southern end of the block where the St. Valentines Day massacre happened.

It was pretty cool when I realized it.
Wasn't that in Lincoln Park on Clark?

Old 07-02-2008, 04:14 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
My wife used to live in a loft in the building where the St. Valentine's Day massacre perpetrators assembled before the killing spree. It was a building with a storefront on the ground floor, a warehouse on the second floor, and the shop-keeper's apartment on the third floor. There was another mob murder in the third floor apartment, and the guy who lived there printed out a photo of the murder scene that featured a dead body in front of the fire place. He would tape that photo up over the same fireplace on Halloween, and do a fake chalk outline on the floor where the body was found. THAT was the spookiest Halloween decoration I have ever seen!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmiller View Post
I actually live in that building now...and I've been curious about the history of it. Have you found out anything else?

Max
Not yet, but when I do I will post.I hope to find the apartment number at some point. DM me if you want to talk more about things.

I lived on the fourth floor.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 07-02-2008 at 07:35 PM..

Old 07-02-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
...he Pony Inn was at Central and Roosevelt...States Attorney Billy McSwiggin was drinking with the O'Donnels and was killed.
I think the Pony Inn is still there.

Billy McSwiggin? No way! That was this guys real name?

Man I have to use that as a stage name!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
Wasn't that in Lincoln Park on Clark?
It is a parking lot now.2122 North Clark.

This site shows promise. I will have to check it out some more.:

THE ST. VALENTINE'S DAY MASSACRE

Old 07-02-2008, 07:41 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I think the Pony Inn is still there.

Billy McSwiggin? No way! That was this guys real name?

Man I have to use that as a stage name!

Yeah, the Pony Inn is still there.

Billy McSwiggin, yeah. His father was a copper.

McSwiggin was out with Klondike and Myles O'Donnel who were eventually absorbed into Capone's organization. Many Irish gangsters like the O'Donnels, Lake and Drugan and Frank McErlane were absorbed by Capone and allowed to do business as long as they kicked up. The difference was that unlike the Italians gangsters the Irish weren't followed into crime by their sons. Well not that kind of crime anyway.

How's about the IC station at Michigan and Randolph where crooked Chicago Tribune reporter Jake Lingle was shot dead in 1930? Racing form in hand and cigar in teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago