Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:10 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times

Advertisements

My nominations for locations of infamy include:

*Where those 'leg' sculptures are now on the east side of Michigan Ave. north of Roosevelt. This is the famous site of the 'police riot' in 1968 where the cops beat up on the hippies, ensured Nixon would win and caused the mayor of Chicago to drop an "F" bomb on the senator from Connecticut. Later, in the Chicago 7 trial, the instigators of the demonstrations in Chicago were found guilty but the verdicts were overturned on appeal. The original Mayor Daley was forced to humiliate himself as a witness at the trial, which was recorded in the famous tome by Mike Royko "Boss".

*53rd and Ellis and the Harvard School on 48th and Greenwood. These are the home and the school of Bobby Franks, who, as the site says, was kidnapped by Leopold and Loeb in the infamous 'thrill killing.' The Harvard School just closed about two years ago and it is where the kid was picked up off the street.

*2337 West Monroe Street on the west side is now a vacant lot. In the early morning hours of December 4, 1969, the Chicago Police, led by prosecutor Big Ed Hanrahan, raided the headquarters of the Black Panthers. A hail of gunfire by about a dozen cops killed Fred Hampton and Mark Clark, who were later found to have fired two shots and Hampton had traces of a heavy sedative in his body. The fallout from the raid cause the city to pay millions to the relatives of Hampton around 1978 and caused the county to have its first Republican state's attorney in a long time. Bernie Carey, an ex-FBI agent, beat out Big Ed in the next election for state's attorney, who was widely reviled in the black community for this assassination of Fred Hampton. Later, the Chicago Police were forced to dissolve their "Red Squad", which illegally spied on leftist groups in Chicago, like the Panthers.

*2319 East 100th Street where on July 13, 1966, Richard Speck, a troubled drifter, murdered eight Filipino student nurses. He had cowed nine of them and took them out of the room one at a time to strangle them but he lost count. One nurse hid under a bed and survived. A few days later he tried to kill himself in a Madison St. flop house (now a trendy area) and was taken to Cook County hospital. There a doctor recognized the tattoo on his arm "Born to Raise Hell" which the surviving nurse had described. When Speck said he was in pain, the doctor grabbed him by his hair and asked how much mercy he had shown to the nurses. Speck died in jail in 1991, after living the life of a feminine inmate for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 09:23 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,725,495 times
I dont think all the nurses were filipino.

ETA - here are their names. Only two sound Filipino

Gloria Davy, Patricia Matusek, Nina Schmale, Pamela Wilkening, Suzanne Farris, Mary Ann Jordan, Merlita Gargullo, and Valentina Pasion.

Last edited by Anthera; 07-02-2008 at 10:12 PM..

Old 07-02-2008, 09:29 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
I dont think all the nurses were filipino.

ETA - here are theri names. Only two sound Filipino

Gloria Davy, Patricia Matusek, Nina Schmale, Pamela Wilkening, Suzanne Farris, Mary Ann Jordan, Merlita Gargullo, and Valentina Pasion.

"The lone survivor among the women in the town house that night, the former Corazon Pieza Amurao, declined requests for an interview. She was the 23-year-old Filipino exchange nurse who hid under a bed and then gave police and prosecutors an eyewitness account that led to Speck's capture and imprisonment. "

"Amurao, Pasion and Gargullo were from the Philippines, pursuing graduate degrees in nursing as part of a foreign exchange program. The rest were finishing up their senior year of nursing school."

The Speck murders: 40 years later

Pictures of the slain nurses:
Richard Speck

Old 07-02-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
"The lone survivor among the women in the town house that night, the former Corazon Pieza Amurao, declined requests for an interview. She was the 23-year-old Filipino exchange nurse who hid under a bed and then gave police and prosecutors an eyewitness account that led to Speck's capture and imprisonment. "

"Amurao, Pasion and Gargullo were from the Philippines, pursuing graduate degrees in nursing as part of a foreign exchange program. The rest were finishing up their senior year of nursing school."

The Speck murders: 40 years later

Pictures of the slain nurses:
Richard Speck
So I was right. Two of the dead nurses and the survivor were Filipino. Good detective work!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:34 PM

My we are a persnickety bunch! I'm glad I have a photographic memory after 40 years or you folks would have caught me in an inaccuracy! Shucks, I even remembered the tattoo!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:43 PM

Ahh. I am guilty of a photographic memory too. It does make one picky.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:58 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
This site has a bunch of gangster buildings and houses in the city and burbs. Very cool:

Gangster sites today

Old 09-02-2011, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
My nominations for locations of infamy include:

*Where those 'leg' sculptures are now on the east side of Michigan Ave. north of Roosevelt. This is the famous site of the 'police riot' in 1968 where the cops beat up on the hippies, ensured Nixon would win and caused the mayor of Chicago to drop an "F" bomb on the senator from Connecticut. Later, in the Chicago 7 trial, the instigators of the demonstrations in Chicago were found guilty but the verdicts were overturned on appeal. The original Mayor Daley was forced to humiliate himself as a witness at the trial, which was recorded in the famous tome by Mike Royko "Boss".

*53rd and Ellis and the Harvard School on 48th and Greenwood. These are the home and the school of Bobby Franks, who, as the site says, was kidnapped by Leopold and Loeb in the infamous 'thrill killing.' The Harvard School just closed about two years ago and it is where the kid was picked up off the street.

*2337 West Monroe Street on the west side is now a vacant lot. In the early morning hours of December 4, 1969, the Chicago Police, led by prosecutor Big Ed Hanrahan, raided the headquarters of the Black Panthers. A hail of gunfire by about a dozen cops killed Fred Hampton and Mark Clark, who were later found to have fired two shots and Hampton had traces of a heavy sedative in his body. The fallout from the raid cause the city to pay millions to the relatives of Hampton around 1978 and caused the county to have its first Republican state's attorney in a long time. Bernie Carey, an ex-FBI agent, beat out Big Ed in the next election for state's attorney, who was widely reviled in the black community for this assassination of Fred Hampton. Later, the Chicago Police were forced to dissolve their "Red Squad", which illegally spied on leftist groups in Chicago, like the Panthers.

*2319 East 100th Street where on July 13, 1966, Richard Speck, a troubled drifter, murdered eight Filipino student nurses. He had cowed nine of them and took them out of the room one at a time to strangle them but he lost count. One nurse hid under a bed and survived. A few days later he tried to kill himself in a Madison St. flop house (now a trendy area) and was taken to Cook County hospital. There a doctor recognized the tattoo on his arm "Born to Raise Hell" which the surviving nurse had described. When Speck said he was in pain, the doctor grabbed him by his hair and asked how much mercy he had shown to the nurses. Speck died in jail in 1991, after living the life of a feminine inmate for years.
Having a strong interest in the Angela Davis and the Black Panther Party, I decided to go view the vacant lot at 2337 W Monroe a few days ago, but it wasn't a vacant lot at all but there was a structure there, a small apartment building. Is this the original structure that Fred Hampton was murdered in or was this built years later? Anyone know? There is a picture of it at this linkhttp://chicagocrimescenes.blogspot.com/2009/11/shoot-it-out-death-of-fred-hampton.html.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:08 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I thought it was cool when I learned my office building was on the site of the first theatre in Chicago, the first hotel in Chicago - where the city's first trustees were elected in 1833 after Chicago became a town, and the site of the 1860 Republican National Convention where Lincoln was nominated.

191 N. Wacker.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse720 View Post
Is this the original structure that Fred Hampton was murdered in or was this built years later? Anyone know?
Come on, now! Do they look the same?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago