Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 04:05 PM

16 posts, read 59,565 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm going to Chicago for 2 days soon to look at apts and I'm splitting the trip between looking at places on my own and going with some apartment finder agencies. To make the most of my trip, can anyone tell me if these addresses are in a good area (safe, close to public transportation etc etc)

-4041 N. Sawyer
-Artesian and Bryn Mawr
-5440 N. Winthrop Ave
-Anslie at Hamlin
-3441 N. Oakley
-5016 N. Troy
-4500 N. Winchester
- 5440 N. winthrop
-Foster and Lincoln

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 04:46 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
It all depends where you have to go using public transit and if you will need to use the buses or trains more.

In terms of overall safety, quality of life, and whether I would live there or not by address, here is how I rank them.

-4041 N. Sawyer (ok-good) (probably and I have lived very close to there)
-Artesian and Bryn Mawr (good) (yes and I have lived very close to there)
-5440 N. Winthrop Ave (so-so) (maybe)
-Anslie at Hamlin (so-so) (No)
-3441 N. Oakley (Very good) (Yes and I have lived very close to there)
-5016 N. Troy (so-so) (No)
-4500 N. Winchester (Very good) (Yes and I have lived very close to there)
-Foster and Lincoln (good) (Yes and I have lived very close to there)

Old 05-20-2008, 07:36 PM

Thanks you!

Old 05-21-2008, 12:23 PM

732 posts, read 2,980,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
-Anslie at Hamlin (so-so) (No)
Since that's only a few blocks from me and seems like a perfectly nice area, do you know something I don't, or it just too close to Lawrence / too far from fun things to do for your tastes?

Just curious. BTW, is that Ainslie, or is there an Anslie also?

Old 05-21-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepreacherswife View Post
Since that's only a few blocks from me and seems like a perfectly nice area, do you know something I don't, or it just too close to Lawrence / too far from fun things to do for your tastes?

Just curious. BTW, is that Ainslie, or is there an Anslie also?
I did not say it was horrible. Just so-so. Would I live around there when faced with a better choice? No. Would I totally rule out living there? No.

It has nothing to do with having things to do in the area. In fact, a few places I love to go to are very close. I just prefer to live in an area with people that are around my age that are single or have no children.

Albany Park is rebounding still after a couple decades of being a gang war zone. The gang problems are not totally gone. That is another reason I dont normally recommend it. The thing is, especially in Albany Park things change from block to block.

I am glad it is working out for you. Cheers to your continued success.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:56 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
There are some really nice motels near Foster and Lincoln in case your family needs a place to stay when visiting. The "O-Mi" is one of my favorites...

Actually, the seedy motels of Lincoln Avenue seem to be fading quickly. I understand that they are hotbeds (no pun intended) of prostitution and other unsavory activities, but I did love the old 1950's signs. It would be cool if one of them could be saved and tranformed into some kind of hipster boutique kitsch spot.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:59 PM

O-Mi is just north of Bryn Mawr;-)
My favorite is the Patio. First time I had rented a room on my own (and with a girl.) I got it by the hour of course.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:52 AM

249 posts, read 685,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
O-Mi is just north of Bryn Mawr;-)
My favorite is the Patio. First time I had rented a room on my own (and with a girl.) I got it by the hour of course.
what was the cost? (the room not the girl )

Old 05-23-2008, 08:14 AM

Saw all those old motels yesterday when viewing the apartment

question about another location: 4862 N. Ashland. Really like the apartment and the tenants - couple in their late 20s said they felt safe in the area...but how do you think the walk would be from their to the lawrence red line stop at dusk...or to the brown line damen stop (once it reopens). I'm used to city living but I'm also female and want to make sure i'm not taking and huge risks.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anic13 View Post
Saw all those old motels yesterday when viewing the apartment

question about another location: 4862 N. Ashland. Really like the apartment and the tenants - couple in their late 20s said they felt safe in the area...but how do you think the walk would be from their to the lawrence red line stop at dusk...or to the brown line damen stop (once it reopens). I'm used to city living but I'm also female and want to make sure i'm not taking and huge risks.
The walk to the Red Line is far more perilous than the walk to the Brown Line.

In the day, it is not really bad walking to the Lawrence stop, but at night it is a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago