Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,159 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm planning on relocating to Chicago at the beginning of June. and need advice on where to live. I will be working at UIC medical center and must live somewhere close by (driving non traffic probably 15-20 minutes). The issue is my wife and I have 2 kids, one will start elementary school. I can probably only afford $1300-1400/mnth rent. What are some safe neighborhoods in good school zones that will fit the above requirements? Thank you so much in advance for the suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 05:10 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,961,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesialdrift2013 View Post
Hello,

I'm planning on relocating to Chicago at the beginning of June. and need advice on where to live. I will be working at UIC medical center and must live somewhere close by (driving non traffic probably 15-20 minutes). The issue is my wife and I have 2 kids, one will start elementary school. I can probably only afford $1300-1400/mnth rent. What are some safe neighborhoods in good school zones that will fit the above requirements? Thank you so much in advance for the suggestions.
There are some (a few) good neighborhood CPS (Chicago Public Schools), mostly on the North side of town, but I doubt those will be within a 20 minute drive of UIC Medical. The nearest suburb with good public schools is Oak Park, directly to the west of Chicago. Its probably conceivable to get from Oak Park to UIC Medical Center in 20 minutes if you live close to the Austin Ave on-ramp to I-290. In your price range you're probably looking at a 2 bedroom apartment although you might luck out and find a small 3 bedroom.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:28 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,953,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
There are some (a few) good neighborhood CPS (Chicago Public Schools), mostly on the North side of town, but I doubt those will be within a 20 minute drive of UIC Medical.
In no traffic, you could and it would be close. Even in little traffic, you could get from Irving Park down to UIC Med in around 20 minutes. Believe it or not, it's only a few miles longer than the drive from Oak Park. But if you don't live need the freeway, it would be really close and I'd end up agreeing with you for many other areas.

I agree about Oak Park, and maybe Forest Park too? Good thing about Oak Park and Forest Park is that there is a CTA Blue Line train that runs to those places. I am not an expert of rental prices in those two cities (check with suburbs forum too), but I think they're more expensive than your average suburb.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,159 times
Thank you for the suggestions. I've heard that Austin is dangerous to live by, I'm not sure if it's only the street or west/east of that street. My wife told me that forest park looks unsafe, is there an area of it that is safe or did we hear wrong?

Old 04-28-2013, 01:57 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,439,138 times
Sadly the ability to find a safe place inside Chicago with easy access to good schools is all but impossible within 20 minutes of UIC. If you monthly housing cost ceiling is limited to $1400/mo I would probably consider other towns where your money will go farther even if that a slightly longer commute. On your budget it might be possible to find a family sized rental in Berwyn or Brookfield that still ought to be only little longer than 20 minutes: Ogden Ave & 1st Ave, Lyons, IL 60534 to Uic Medical Center - Google Maps

Old 04-28-2013, 02:13 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,363,220 times
Austin is the name of a street and the name of a neighborhood. Oak Park is located west of Austin Blvd. Austin, the neighborhood, is located east of it.

This link might interest you.

High-crime neighbor has little impact on life in Oak Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago