Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 61,708 times

Advertisements

A lot of the threads I found for this seemed a couple of years outdated so...

I was looking at a few different neighborhoods that this and other forums suggested like Bucktown, Wicker Park (kinda pricey and hipstery), Logan Square, and Albany Park. But, I'm open to other neighborhoods, and, I confess, I don't have a lot of experience in those areas.

I'm newly single and car-less so I'm looking for somewhere that's walkable and safe to slouch around at night (for a lady). Affordable would be nice, but I don't mind paying for security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 09:43 PM

674 posts, read 1,055,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngwerther View Post

I was looking at a few different neighborhoods that this and other forums suggested like Bucktown, Wicker Park (kinda pricey and hipstery), Logan Square, and Albany Park. But, I'm open to other neighborhoods, and, I confess, I don't have a lot of experience in those areas.

I'm newly single and car-less so I'm looking for somewhere that's walkable and safe to slouch around at night (for a lady). Affordable would be nice, but I don't mind paying for security.
Would you mind specifying what's affordable with regard to your budget? Also, whether you're looking for a studio/one bedroom apartment would help as well. We can point you in the right direction with some more information!

Old 01-20-2012, 09:53 PM

Ah, yes, definitely! I'm trying to stay within 600-800 range so I have money to save for a cushion (given the economy) and still be able to go out.

A studio is fine. I don't have a lot of furniture or need a ton of space.

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2012, 10:11 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Andersonville would work well. Studio most likely.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:42 PM

674 posts, read 1,055,456 times
Quote:
Ah, yes, definitely! I'm trying to stay within 600-800 range so I have money to save for a cushion (given the economy) and still be able to go out.

A studio is fine. I don't have a lot of furniture or need a ton of space.

Thanks!
600-800 can get you a decent studio in multiple neighborhoods in Chicago, all safe with great public transit options, great walkability and ample opportunity for going out either within the community or a short ride away via CTA. My first place in Chicago was a studio in east Lakeview for 695, but the space was a bit small and also very noisy as a result of being on a major street and right next to Lake Shore Drive.

My recommendation would be Lincoln Square. It is an excellent "bang-for-your-buck" neighborhood. It's got wonderful shopping, fantastic transportation options via the CTA Brown Line, busing to the Red Line (the main artery of Chicago CTA public transit stretching from the northern suburbs to south Chicago) and is very safe as well (probably the safest of the ones you've listed with the exception of Wicker Park which is also very safe). You can get a nice studio or one bedroom here for 675-750 easily; craigslist is your best bet for finding an apartment in Chicago and gauging what you're looking for and correlating cost.

From here you're about 15 minutes away from all of the nightlife and entertainment that Lakeview and Lincoln Park have to offer (bars, theaters, Wrigley field, fantastic shopping) via CTA brown line, and about 20 minutes from Andersonville as well as the gorgeous Bryn Mawr historic district in Edgewater; featuring even more great shopping and food.

I'm not sure if the Lake is a big attraction for you or not, but in the summer you're at most a 15-20 minute ride to two beautiful (and my favorite) Chicago beaches, Montrose and Hollywood (which is primarily a GLBT beach, but is stunningly beautiful with high rises and a beautiful green space as well as it's the northern portion of Lincoln Park).

You'd also be about 15 minutes away from a huge Target in Uptown as well - which is great for someone trying to save a few pennies in Chicago when it comes to grocery shopping or other random necessities at a cheaper price as well.

Don't be put off by the fact that it's a ways north of The Loop either. Trust me, you won't be spending much time there as a resident unless you work there. And if you do feel the need to venture there, you're also only a 30 minute ride from there as well via the Brown Line.

Hope this helps! If I can answer anymore questions for you just let me know.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:30 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
Quote:

An overly broad question. There are several or many discussions not that old that discuss these things. Have a look at those other discussions because I think you'll find some excellent answers.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
600-800 can get you a decent studio in multiple neighborhoods in Chicago, all safe with great public transit options, great walkability and ample opportunity for going out either within the community or a short ride away via CTA. My first place in Chicago was a studio in east Lakeview for 695, but the space was a bit small and also very noisy as a result of being on a major street and right next to Lake Shore Drive.

My recommendation would be Lincoln Square. It is an excellent "bang-for-your-buck" neighborhood. It's got wonderful shopping, fantastic transportation options via the CTA Brown Line, busing to the Red Line (the main artery of Chicago CTA public transit stretching from the northern suburbs to south Chicago) and is very safe as well (probably the safest of the ones you've listed with the exception of Wicker Park which is also very safe). You can get a nice studio or one bedroom here for 675-750 easily; craigslist is your best bet for finding an apartment in Chicago and gauging what you're looking for and correlating cost.

From here you're about 15 minutes away from all of the nightlife and entertainment that Lakeview and Lincoln Park have to offer (bars, theaters, Wrigley field, fantastic shopping) via CTA brown line, and about 20 minutes from Andersonville as well as the gorgeous Bryn Mawr historic district in Edgewater; featuring even more great shopping and food.

I'm not sure if the Lake is a big attraction for you or not, but in the summer you're at most a 15-20 minute ride to two beautiful (and my favorite) Chicago beaches, Montrose and Hollywood (which is primarily a GLBT beach, but is stunningly beautiful with high rises and a beautiful green space as well as it's the northern portion of Lincoln Park).

You'd also be about 15 minutes away from a huge Target in Uptown as well - which is great for someone trying to save a few pennies in Chicago when it comes to grocery shopping or other random necessities at a cheaper price as well.

Don't be put off by the fact that it's a ways north of The Loop either. Trust me, you won't be spending much time there as a resident unless you work there. And if you do feel the need to venture there, you're also only a 30 minute ride from there as well via the Brown Line.

Hope this helps! If I can answer anymore questions for you just let me know.
Ahh, this is an awesome and super helpful response. Thanks so much!

Old 01-21-2012, 09:59 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
Quote:
Ahh, this is an awesome and super helpful response. Thanks so much!

I would second Lincoln Square/Ravenswood. I used to have a great apartment at Argyle and Wolcott, I was midway between Lincoln Square and Andersonville. The brown line is a nice safe line.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:38 PM

5 posts, read 29,206 times
I am planing on moving to Chicago in a couple months after I finish nursing school. I am looking for affordable, safe neighborhood for a single female. Rent no more than a $1,000. A one bedroom is fine. I am more worried about safety than anything else.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:59 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv30 View Post
I am planing on moving to Chicago in a couple months after I finish nursing school. I am looking for affordable, safe neighborhood for a single female. Rent no more than a $1,000. A one bedroom is fine. I am more worried about safety than anything else.
Has someone painted you the picture that Chicago is a warzone or something? hah. One bedroom for $1000, yeah it's possible of course. The thing is that if you can find a roommate, you could live in almost any neighborhood for $1000/person type of thing.

Need more info though. Do you want to be close to public transit? Do you want to be close to restaurants, bars, etc? What's important to you in a neighborhood basically..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago