Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 11:48 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,105,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
It's usually a reaction to a burglary, why else do you think a restaurant would go through the trouble and expense of installing those things?
To pre-assume that a burglary will happen. That's what.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:58 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
To pre-assume that a burglary will happen. That's what.
Why don't you just call the restaurants in question and ask them directly? Less work than all of this mind reading.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:16 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedCubbieBlue View Post
Hipsters are the elementary and high school nerds that were weird and loser-ish. Now they grew up and because they are adults, we cant call them nerds or losers. So they came up with "hipster". Nothing "hip" about them. They are the biggest trend followers and they all look exactly the same. Talk about conformist.

And as another poster said earlier in the thread, if you think Chicago isn't a racist city, then it's because you are just used to it. You probably grew up in a small racist town where this is how things just were. You see nothing wrong with strict neighborhood racial divisions. Nothing wrong with white northside restaurants/bars enforcing dress codes ONLY with minorities. I myself experienced this first hand many times. One specific time was my absolute favorite. I was out with a group of friends and we went to a bar on division street off of state. So we try to go in and the bouncer tells my mexican friend that his pants were "too baggy" and refuses to let him in. So we go to a different bar and my friend switches jeans with another friend who is white. The white friends pants were a bit more slim fitting so we go back to the same bar. Well the bouncer allows us all in, including the white friend wearing the EXACT SAME "too baggy" jeans! Now unless you experience blatant racist crap like this of course the city doesnt seem racist to you. Why would it if you're a white person?? But trust me, Chicago is azz backwards when it comes to race relations. Martin Luther King Jr called it the worst city he'd ever been too. And the man came from the segregated south. That should tell you all you need to know.
yeah thats funny/ironic funny. same thing happens when an actress put on a fat suit and went around to various places, she was really a pretty girl without the fat suit, but when she put on the fat suit, she got treated way different. People do have prejudices.

I in fact, do relate clothing to a person and how that person might be - safe or unsafe. I try not to stereotype people, but i will tell you that i do not like the hip hop type of clothes because it does tell me some preconceived notion about them. sorry but it is true.

I do believe your story. people do have preconceived notions. however, some of it is street smarts which we all need. because if we dont pay attention to danger signals we could be a victim. sometimes it is good to heed those warnings, it is better to find out that person the alarm bells went off in your head - I'd rather be wrong and misjudged them rather than be fearful for a reason.. its when people are not aware thats when they get robbed or something.

so i am going to prefer being safe than sorry - i.e. i'd rather be a little prejudiced than be a victim. oh i dont act out my fears, i just keep them to myself.. street smarts is good.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:18 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedCubbieBlue View Post
Hipsters are the elementary and high school nerds that were weird and loser-ish. Now they grew up and because they are adults, we cant call them nerds or losers. So they came up with "hipster". Nothing "hip" about them. They are the biggest trend followers and they all look exactly the same. Talk about conformist.

And as another poster said earlier in the thread, if you think Chicago isn't a racist city, then it's because you are just used to it. You probably grew up in a small racist town where this is how things just were. You see nothing wrong with strict neighborhood racial divisions. Nothing wrong with white northside restaurants/bars enforcing dress codes ONLY with minorities. I myself experienced this first hand many times. One specific time was my absolute favorite. I was out with a group of friends and we went to a bar on division street off of state. So we try to go in and the bouncer tells my mexican friend that his pants were "too baggy" and refuses to let him in. So we go to a different bar and my friend switches jeans with another friend who is white. The white friends pants were a bit more slim fitting so we go back to the same bar. Well the bouncer allows us all in, including the white friend wearing the EXACT SAME "too baggy" jeans! Now unless you experience blatant racist crap like this of course the city doesnt seem racist to you. Why would it if you're a white person?? But trust me, Chicago is azz backwards when it comes to race relations. Martin Luther King Jr called it the worst city he'd ever been too. And the man came from the segregated south. That should tell you all you need to know.

Nice story, but I doubt that it actually happened.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:23 AM

Someone who knows insider info told me that there is a bar on the northside that they purposely do not play rap or hip hop or anything attractive to black customers because they want to keep that customer type out.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Someone who knows insider info told me that there is a bar on the northside that they purposely do not play rap or hip hop or anything attractive to black customers because they want to keep that customer type out.

Yeh, well, they don't play Dancing with the Stars at most sports bars either....

Old 11-27-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Yeh, well, they don't play Dancing with the Stars at most sports bars either....
This bars is on purpose trying to keep blacks out by not playing music they would be attracted to. they dont want them there. most likely because they feel they will be probably trouble makers or something.

sorry for the good blacks who are now not able to go there because of others who have ruined it for them.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:56 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,105,917 times
Quote:
This bars is on purpose trying to keep blacks out by not playing music they would be attracted to. they dont want them there. most likely because they feel they will be probably trouble makers or something.

sorry for the good blacks who are now not able to go there because of others who have ruined it for them.
Except, they are able to go there.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Gimme a frickin break. Some of you people are unbelievable. You spend all day looking for ways you can be offended, complain racism or another find excuse for saying you're oppressed.

I suppose you're offended by the term "Black Friday"?

Old 11-27-2014, 12:06 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
This is actually highly accurate even though a lot of people don't want to acknowledge it or admit it. Another classic objective of some of these bars & lounges is to maintain a certain "quota" or "ratio" of certain ethnic types inside their establishments (no cap on Caucasian patrons though). I can understand the bars wanting to keep out thuggish types, but I do not understand them wanting to keep out young professionals that happen to be minority. This can happen to you if you're Black, Latino or even a "model minority" like an Indian or an Asian. These establishments do not like it when you're a minority rolling up to their door with a bunch of other minorities. You might be able to slip in if you're just the token friend though or if you have a bunch of attractive white girls in your crew that night. River North establishments I'm referring to include but are not limited to places such as "Social 25", "The Underground", "Paris Club", etc.
I'm not a young professional. But since I'm white, no one is really concerned about me being a "thuggish type". I'm just someone who isn't a "young professional". There are plenty of black guys who are neither, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago