Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 06:34 PM

70 posts, read 117,158 times

Advertisements

Are blacks treated normal in areas like logan square, Albany park, irving park or Avondale? The only north side neighborhoods up north with a good black population are uptown, rogers park, and somewhat edgewater right? But I prefer to be in logan square, Albany park, irving park or Avondale.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:48 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
The more progressive areas of town aren't going to really care usually at least in my outsider's experience. Now mind you, not everywhere in Logan Square, Avondale, etc is progressive, but you get the point.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:05 PM

687 posts, read 916,290 times
Depends wholly on how you choose to live your life, how you present yourself, the manner in which you interact with your neighbors and what your contributions to society are.

There's a reason events like Ferguson and the Trayvon case generate so much heat in this country. You either live a normal lifestyle or you don't. Thugs don't get much sympathy, and it's getting harder and harder to justify their cases.

I'm really tired of these "is such and such area racist" posts.

You are either a contributor to society or you aren't.
I'm just as frustrated with white-trash idiot losers as with thugs from all races.
I don't want lowlifes of any color living near me, but if you are a contributor and decent person then feel free to move in next door and I'll welcome you with open arms.

(and no you don't have to wear a suit all the time, I just used that as a compare and contrast example. Just act normal and you will be treated normally no matter where you go)

Old 11-23-2014, 07:08 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,107,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahiabrazil View Post
Are blacks treated normal in areas like logan square, Albany park, irving park or Avondale? The only north side neighborhoods up north with a good black population are uptown, rogers park, and somewhat edgewater right? But I prefer to be in logan square, Albany park, irving park or Avondale.
Your question assumes people actually mingle.

A typical warm day in my life in Chicago is like this:

I walk down the street, I stop and stand somewhere, people walk by, and.

They don't say anything to me.

I don't say anything to them.

I think it's too far out of proportion to say racism as a factor, but it would be less so for gender.

For example.

Men don't talk to me, and women don't talk to me.

However, it isn't the case if I were female.

Generally, don't forget that people don't talk to people they don't know. The exception to this is men approaching women.

So Black people going through a grocery store on the North side is no different than going through 1 in the South side.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:34 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,598,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
Depends wholly on how you choose to live your life, how you present yourself, the manner in which you interact with your neighbors and what your contributions to society are.

There's a reason events like Ferguson and the Trayvon case generate so much heat in this country. You either live a normal lifestyle or you don't. Thugs don't get much sympathy, and it's getting harder and harder to justify their cases.

I'm really tired of these "is such and such area racist" posts.

You are either a contributor to society or you aren't.
I'm just as frustrated with white-trash idiot losers as with thugs from all races.
I don't want lowlifes of any color living near me, but if you are a contributor and decent person then feel free to move in next door and I'll welcome you with open arms.

(and no you don't have to wear a suit all the time, I just used that as a compare and contrast example. Just act normal and you will be treated normally no matter where you go)
wow your post is so righteous!!!! and it is true, that may be the same man in each pic you provided, but the one on the left is gonna get different reactions than the one on the right.

Thank you idiot thugs who made it bad for the good people who happen to share your skin color. Sad but true.

I know one guy who used to work with me, me and him went out and he wore similar clothes to the guy on the left, and even though he is a great guy, I.T. professional, when he wears that kind of outfit, some people are afraid of him.

My apartment building has a mix of races and I feel great toward all of em. Everyone conducts themselves in a way that is decent. even if they wear sport clothes, you feel great toward everyone. its when people start acting ghetto and trashy thats when no one wants to live by you.. unless you are a ghetto trashy person. people dont like ignorant neighbors.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:49 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,107,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
and even though he is a great guy, I.T. professional, when he wears that kind of outfit, some people are afraid of him.
People want them to be afraid of them.

That's why people who dress that way dress that way, they want people to be afraid of them.

And it also increases their attractiveness for certain types of females, particularly latinas.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:01 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,598,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
People want them to be afraid of them.

That's why people who dress that way dress that way, they want people to be afraid of them.

And it also increases their attractiveness for certain types of females, particularly latinas.
Yeah some do. I can believe it. It goes with the study of civilizations, tribesmen wear fierce clothing to intimidate the enemy.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:54 PM

527 posts, read 600,883 times
Quote:
Are blacks treated normal in areas like logan square, Albany park, irving park or Avondale?
It depends on what you consider to be "normal." In my experience people Black people from the Western US or from certain cities like Atlanta, for example, don't consider the way they're treated anywhere in the Midwest to be "normal."

Old 11-23-2014, 10:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Let's see how long it takes before this devolves into a "dating black people sucks" thread...

Old 11-24-2014, 09:00 AM

166 posts, read 260,130 times
Quote:
Yes there neighborhoods are more tolerant of minorities, due to the fact that they are currently changing over to white. Once white becomes the majority in these hoods, the racism will start. Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Bucktown are probably the most racists areas. You have a high concentration of small town whites from surrounding states. Whites that came to these city hoods specifically because they are nearly 100% white. They will give you dirty looks and make dumb comments under their breath. Regardless of how you are dressed. These are rednecks with degrees pretty much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago