Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 03:56 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And that stupid ordinance was supported by nearly half the city's population.
no it wasn't...

Old 12-09-2014, 04:07 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,102,981 times
Although a similar analogy would be the Al Capone thing - a lot of people in the country would go nuts and revolt if alcohol were made illegal, so Al Capone's not really considered to be a criminal under some standard.

I don't know much about the Garner situation, but it seems he and the cop must have had a lot of encounters in the past.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
At least this site allows you to purposely use your education somewhere.

You're trying to take what I said to an elevated level and give it no merit. Try having a private conversation with a group of blacks and tell them your thoughts on what we need to do with our race. Doesn't matter if they are Hispanic, black or whatever! And you know what, I'll even come and meet you when you do. Remember, no bullhorn!

My point was that people find themselves very comfortable telling blacks how to better their race on the Internet.
Where do you reckon I'll wake up?

Old 12-09-2014, 04:12 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Although a similar analogy would be the Al Capone thing - a lot of people in the country would go nuts and revolt if alcohol were made illegal, so Al Capone's not really considered to be a criminal under some standard.

I don't know much about the Garner situation, but it seems he and the cop must have had a lot of encounters in the past.
11 Facts You Should Know About Eric Garner's Death

Note:
Quote:
The day he died, Garner was trying to break up a fight. When police arrived, the fight was over.
Quote:
Even though Garner had just stopped two people from assaulting each other, he was suddenly the culprit in the situation.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
no it wasn't...
"June 2012 - With age, education and gender gaps, New York City voters oppose 51 - 46 percent Mayor "Michael Bloomberg's proposed ban on the sale of over-sized sugary soft drinks, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released today..."

https://www.facebook.com/notes/new-y...28554567168055

Old 12-09-2014, 04:18 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,102,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
That link about the jury's decision was interesting, where the officer claims he did not know choking would lead to his death.

In Illinois, that would be felony reckless conduct. Like firing gunshots into the air.

In California, that would be involuntary manslaughter, like where you accidentally killed somebody. I'm surprised at New York. And where's the disciplinary charges for choking?

Old 12-09-2014, 06:01 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Sure, but those consequences shouldn't involve being choked to death.

And I'm tired of this "cops are sacred" B.S. You should be able to punch a cop in the face without being killed for it. Cops are relying on firearms and severe violence far too often in situations where they are not warranted. And we allow them to do this with impunity when we fail to indict the bad apples.

I understand that being a police officer is a tough job, and that a chance encounter on a bad day could end in your death. Police should be praised for their sacrifices given for the common good. But a guy selling cigarettes illegally on the street should NEVER be choked to death. And there are ways to restrain unarmed people without using lethal shots from firearms.
The guy knew what he was doing was illegal, he knew he was going to get arrested. Why didn't he just put his hands behind his back, comply with the officer requests and go through the process?

Had he done that, he'd be alive today.

On the other hand, if the cops would have just tased him, he probably would have had a heartattack anyway.

Quit making excuses for a criminal.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:05 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
At least this site allows you to purposely use your education somewhere.

You're trying to take what I said to an elevated level and give it no merit. Try having a private conversation with a group of blacks and tell them your thoughts on what we need to do with our race. Doesn't matter if they are Hispanic, black or whatever! And you know what, I'll even come and meet you when you do. Remember, no bullhorn!

My point was that people find themselves very comfortable telling blacks how to better their race on the Internet.
Why do you keep grouping hood rats (which is the majority of the troublemakers) with the black race?

Old 12-09-2014, 06:27 PM

867 posts, read 1,371,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Why do you keep grouping hood rats (which is the majority of the troublemakers) with the black race?
Show me where I said "hoodrats"?

You seem pretty comfortable with that term. Does it make you feel superior? Is this the term your educated black friends deemed acceptable? I'm just curious! It's actually a derogatory term for young black women from the inner city who aren't educated and make poor life choices. It doesn't really refer to the black male in the same situation. Do you have a term for them? Just curious!

Old 12-09-2014, 06:51 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
The guy knew what he was doing was illegal, he knew he was going to get arrested. Why didn't he just put his hands behind his back, comply with the officer requests and go through the process?

Had he done that, he'd be alive today.

On the other hand, if the cops would have just tased him, he probably would have had a heartattack anyway.

Quit making excuses for a criminal.
Politically Speaking: Justice? The black street peddler vs. the white rancher

Quote:
In April, when federal officers attempt a crackdown, a Bundy family bundle of dozens vows to turn them away. A group of militia types, along with tea party enthusiasts from across the country, join the cause at the Bunkersville Ranch and take up strategic positions along the Bundy property, armed with military-style weapons.
Hoping to avoid a shootout, the federal officers back off. Bundy still has never had a day in court.
Of course, Cliven Bundy is white. He has cost the government a lot more than Eric Garner could even dream of, but he had his guns and was NOT arrested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago