Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:42 PM

588 posts, read 1,800,232 times

Advertisements

Actually it does. We have had more than one Chicago murderer hide out in the suburb I work in. A lot of family members for Chicagoans live in the burb I work in. So when the heat is too much in the City they head out this way and then we inherit the problem. My over a decade of being a Cop has taught me a thing or two about sociology and economics. I can tell you the Chicago crime rate can have an effect for a decent distance. Also, where do you think the Suburban kids are buying their heroin? The majority are hitting the west side of Chicago. It's happened before where a dope dealer will have a "tail car" and will tail the kids that pull up in nice cars and follow them back to the Burbs. From there they either do a home invasion or a burglary on another day. Burbs and the City are very intertwined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 12:10 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I agree about some people almost getting angry when someone says the murder/crime rate is going down. If you look at the comments about it in the paper when they post stats, almost half the people right away scream that they must be lying - because crime just HAS to be going up.

If crime goes down, then it goes against everything they're screaming about and angry about, so it can't possibly be true.

I think a lot of it is that when there's a rash of shootings/etc in the city - people immediately freak that "oh my god - the city is going out of control!!". They just don't stop to realize that this happens every few months, and it's happened every few months for DECADES. Overall though things are clearly trending downward.

More people are saved from being murdered because of improvements in ER's and healthcare - but the violent crime rate alone has gone down more than the murder rate. From over 90,000 events in the 1990's to around 50,000 in 2000, and now down to 30,000 this year. Then you get the, "well people just aren't reporting it now - that's all" statement. I'd be willing to bet when the city was more of a war zone back 10-20 years ago, you probably had a lot more things happen that didn't get repoted to the police. When someone is getting attacked on your block ever two days, you become really use to it happening. Now that it might only happen once every 10 days, it probably shakes you a little more and prompts you to call the police.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:32 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
"Based on preliminary data from the police and Cook County Medical Examiner's Office, RedEye determined there were 448 homicides in 2010, which was 13 fewer homicides than in 2009.

Chicago Police Supt. Jody Weis said this week the department determined there were 435 homicides in 2010, a record low since 1965, based on their own investigations."

Hmmm...

Tracking homicides in Chicago - RedEye | ChicagoNow

Old 01-10-2011, 08:32 AM

^ then the Red Eye just needs to find the city's stats and dissect them. Maybe they'll find some scoop in a few reclasses, or maybe it just is what it is.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ then the Red Eye just needs to find the city's stats and dissect them. Maybe they'll find some scoop in a few reclasses, or maybe it just is what it is.
Like I mentioned upthread, RedEye enumerates all homicides whether it's classified as a murder or not. Meanwhile, I'm guessing Weiss was speaking not of homicides but of murders. Now that RedEye is claiming 448 and, according to EveryBlock anyway, 13 homicides were classified as either justifiable or negligent/reckless, the unaccounted-for disparity between RedEye's "homicides" and CPD's "murders" stands at 2.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Its kinda risky to predict the homicide count for 2011 based on 5 days in January.
We have eleven already as of the 10th of January. I think there have been a few more the last two days. That is almost a summertime rate.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Wc&output=html

Old 01-14-2011, 12:05 PM

^ actually winter rates are roughly 1 murder a day, with summer rates around 1.66 murders per day on average.

January so far has been right in line with most years from 2004 onward.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Interesting stat. I would have thought the difference would be greater than that!

Old 02-04-2011, 06:49 AM

Aside from the two murders a few hours before the blizzard arrived, it looks like the storm stopped the scumbag murderers dead for a few days. (no pun intended) I don't think there has been a murder since Tuesday! Thanks blizzard!

Old 02-04-2011, 07:38 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Aside from the two murders a few hours before the blizzard arrived, it looks like the storm stopped the scumbag murderers dead for a few days. (no pun intended) I don't think there has been a murder since Tuesday! Thanks blizzard!

well hopefully they dont come out in full force when the blizzard is cleared out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago