Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 09:56 AM

15,323 posts, read 24,016,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
That's bs. Here in Georgia we can bring guns into bars, restaurants, church, etc and crime has been the same. Kennesaw, GA has a mandatory gun law stating that every head of household has to own a gun. As long as the thugs kill other thugs i dont see a problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
You have to hold the gang culture totally responsible for this. There are many who live in Indiana who take advantage of the right to carry and never partake in violence. No way marothisu, you can't blame the state of Indiana for this mess.

Holy ****, I'm not blaming this as the root cause for the 3rd time. I'm saying that Chicago's "gun control" will never work because of the proximity to places where you can get firearms and ammo easier. The gangs who want guns don't have to go to as great lengths to get it as people who aren't familiar with the city to actually get them.

Obviously the people themselves are the root cause of all of this, but I'm saying those people who are the problem don't have to go as far to get it, which is why the "gun control" will not work here in the first place amongst many other reasons.

Jesus, this was in no way trying to say what the root cause was. Anybody with a quarter of a brain would know it's the people themselves. I'm saying why gun control will never truly even work here. Yes gangs will get guns even if Indiana, etc banned all of this, but as of right now, they can get their gear faster and easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 09:58 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,056,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheOrangeCat View Post
Per Peter Nickeas' twitter, latest total is 81 shot. That's a pretty big number.

14 of the 81 died and 5 of the 81 were shot by police.
Just checked the Chi Trib website. The total is now up to 82 shot, 14 dead. I'm sure the death toll will rise as some of those shot will pass away while in the hospital.

Damm, that's a rough weekend in the hood but unfortunately, not all that surprising for a warm holiday weekend in Chicago.

When will these people learn.....

Old 07-07-2014, 10:01 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,056,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Holy ****, I'm not blaming this as the root cause for the 3rd time. I'm saying that Chicago's "gun control" will never work because of the proximity to places where you can get firearms and ammo easier. The gangs who want guns don't have to go to as great lengths to get it as people who aren't familiar with the city to actually get them. Obviously the people themselves are the root cause of all of this, but I'm saying those people who are the problem don't have to go as far to get it, which is why the "gun control" will not work here in the first place amongst many other reasons.
But, you're still blaming guns as the problem. The bad guys will get guns no matter what. If there's a demand, someone will meet it with supply.

The fact that they want/need guns is the bigger problem. Not guns themselves.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
But, you're still blaming guns as the problem. The bad guys will get guns no matter what. If there's a demand, someone will meet it with supply.

The fact that they want/need guns is the bigger problem. Not guns themselves.
Actually, I'm not. I'm saying one reason why gun control hasn't worked in town. And if you actually read my previous posts you'd know I'm not blaming guns. Anybody who blames the guns themselves is a ****ing idiot. It's like people who think money is evil. Money and guns don't make you do anything - it's the people. All I'm saying is that the proximity to these other places makes it easier and faster for these things to change hands.

Quote:
^ That is essentially what I was getting at with my last sentence. No matter what happens, people will get them. It doesn't matter even if Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin all banned guns. I think actually a lot of gangs also get their guns illegally shipped via places like Mississippi, or so I hear from a few cops I've talked to.

Quote:
What I meant was - our culture is geared more towards guns than a culture like Japan or South Korea is. Since this is the case, people in this country have more of a need to protect themselves with guns since other people have them versus a place like Japan where truly not tons of people have guns (but they have extremely sharp knives in these countries that you wouldn't want to face either).

I have friends who are gun owners - they aren't insane and would never harm anyone. They have it for self defense purposes (and one of them like the sport of it, and another one works for the DoD and formerly worked for Metal Storm and likes the actual 'tech' aspect of it). I have a few coworkers who have it too. I'm all for people having them as long as they don't shoot innocent people. Just like you, I'm not for the messed up people having those guns and yeah, it's important to not let those types of people have guns. I've held and fired guns before - not for me, but I understand in this country and some others why people would want them and I don't necessarily disagree with it for self defense, sport, or hunting purposes.

Last edited by marothisu; 07-07-2014 at 10:12 AM..

Old 07-07-2014, 10:04 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,798,815 times
Quote:
That is a horrible law.Kennesaw. the head of household has some type of mental disability? Why do you need a gun to go to church? Guns and alcohol don't match so why do you need to take it to a club?
This is my last post because I do not want to hijack this post.

They dont enforce the law but it is on the books in Kennesaw. The businesses have a right to not allow guns in their establishment so they post signs in front stating "no weapons allowed"

Maybe Chicago need this law. Maybe if the criminals know that the general public is strapped they will think twice about committing crimes

Old 07-07-2014, 10:07 AM

You can conceal and carry, though some places make it very clear with a sign on the window that no guns are allowed in their premises.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:07 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,961,637 times
Quote:
You have to hold the gang culture totally responsible for this. There are many who live in Indiana who take advantage of the right to carry and never partake in violence. No way marothisu, you can't blame the state of Indiana for this mess.
Your first sentence and second sentences are correct.

The third? No. Marothisu isn't placing full blame on Indiana for this, only partial...the gang culture is the predominant factor.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
The third? No. Marothisu isn't placing full blame on Indiana for this, only partial...the gang culture is the predominant factor.
Yes I'm saying it contributes - it makes things happen faster. They would still get firearms/ammo, but the processes may be slower than driving 20 minutes and spending a few minutes getting something. People need to read better if they think I'm putting full blame on Indiana. You have to be kidding me. The root cause is obviously the people who are using the guns for malicious purposes. I'm with all of you on this, I'm just saying that the proximity to Indiana isn't helping. But people blaming guns themselves pisses me off just as much as people who blame money for their evils. Neither of these things make the owner do anything. it's the owner who's responsible for their own actions.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:16 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,870,886 times
We need to convict more gangbangers and put them in prison and I would make the prisons more punitive- things like chain gangs or work camps. I'd let people convicted of non-violent drug possession out to make room.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:20 AM

7,108 posts, read 9,018,505 times
I understand what marothisu is writing. Being so close to Indiana makes it easier to purchase guns and possibly make straw purchases or whatever. I do place all of the blame on the gang/thug culture. They are totally responsible for our cities being like they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago