Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 06:51 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,789,377 times

Advertisements

As long as they are shooting other gang members then I don't care but I'm sure so m e of those people that were shot are innocent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 07:24 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,932,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Golly if LA, NYC, Houston and other cities as big as Chicago with other 'routes' to gun friendly states manage to effectively police the illegal weapons this is NOT a national problem and it could be solved HERE the same way as other places.

It starts with college educated professionals getting FED UP with the lack of action, electing politicians that care more about enforcing laws than keeping in the 'good graces' of criminals to use them in efforts remain office, and having at least the appearance of a "law & order" adminstration instead corruption.

Believe me I am no great supporter of Guilliani but when he went from prosecutor in NYC to Mayor it was a signal that people were tired of "I <3 NY" ads alongside a city that seemed to be overrun with all kinds of crime from the trivial to the heinous.

Clearly too many mindless fools that are infatuated with the "chill" places of the northside are too willing to make excuses for the criminals that are running wild in parts of Chicago. Until THAT changes the "culture" of ignoring problems won't go away...
"Infatuation with the chill northside places" has nothing to do with all this, and neither does the "606XX" area code residence..

Old 07-07-2014, 07:42 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,445,845 times
Default It absolutely does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
"Infatuation with the chill northside places" has nothing to do with all this, and neither does the "606XX" area code residence..
The only people that can legally vote for a new mayor that does not try to ignore the real problems are those that live in 606xx!

The attitudes of too many "chill northsiders" is unfortunately well aligned with the biases of Mayor Emanuel and even southsiders like Madigan that live is quiet suburban-type pockets of the SW side: "why should I care if the hoodlums blast away at each other?".

Sadly until these "not my problem" types wake up and realize that their mindless promotion of all the wonders of "hip" neighborhoods plays right into the attitudes that keep so many people at risk in less desirable areas things won't change. Making excuses for the poltical inaction keeps corrupt office holders in power.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:44 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,957,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...the way they are reporting this "news" about 60 people shot over the weekend is horrifying. There is NO WAY that anyone wants to be associated with Illinois / Chicago and the "carnage machine" that it looks like on TV news across the country.
When the hell did I ever defend any of this? I was responding to the OP's comment about gun control in Chicago saying it's truly hard to have it when you're literally a few miles from places where you can get firearms much easier. I am not saying this is the problem. I'm saying it's a problem, and the gun control in Chicago won't work for this fact.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:56 AM

575 posts, read 617,562 times
Per Peter Nickeas' twitter, latest total is 81 shot. That's a pretty big number.

14 of the 81 died and 5 of the 81 were shot by police.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:00 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,445,845 times
Indivuals that make excuses, when taken collectively, pretty much fully explains why / how corrupt politicians remain in office in Chicago.

In contrast right now I am in a part of PA that appears to have even easier access to "guns & ammo" than Indiana. It would be easy for the same kinds of "straw buyers" to subvert the gun laws of NY if it were not for FACT that the collective will of New Yorkers has been to back polticians that devote resources to preventing such actions.

Chicago has much more restrictive guns laws than NY yet without backing to provide resources to enforce these laws they do no good.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:18 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,957,005 times
So Chet - you don't think that the fact that Chicago is next door to Indiana, where it's a lot easier to buy a firearm, doesn't contribute at all to the overall problem?

Old 07-07-2014, 09:46 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,789,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
So Chet - you don't think that the fact that Chicago is next door to Indiana, where it's a lot easier to buy a firearm, doesn't contribute at all to the overall problem?
That's bs. Here in Georgia we can bring guns into bars, restaurants, church, etc and crime has been the same. Kennesaw, GA has a mandatory gun law stating that every head of household has to own a gun. As long as the thugs kill other thugs i dont see a problem

Old 07-07-2014, 09:49 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,986,035 times
You have to hold the gang culture totally responsible for this. There are many who live in Indiana who take advantage of the right to carry and never partake in violence. No way marothisu, you can't blame the state of Indiana for this mess.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:54 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,986,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Kennesaw, GA has a mandatory gun law stating that every head of household has to own a gun.
That is a horrible law. Say if the head of household has some type of mental disability? Why do you need a gun to go to church? Guns and alcohol don't match so why do you need to take it to a club?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago