Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 03:43 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingd View Post
This July 3rd, I ate outside and froze to death in 58 degree weather and I recall specifically at least two July 4ths that were equally as frigid.
"Froze to death"? "Frigid"? Stop being hysterical. Toughen up.

YouTube - Frijid Pink - House of the Rising Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 03:47 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
^ Some great fuzz going on there ^ A nice Les Paul there too. I would give my left nut for it.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:11 PM

17 posts, read 25,288 times
Avenger, sorry I don't know how to post your quotes. Not trying to make this an arguement. But as I said, natives here don't get it, just like someone from Houston doesn't get your side, it's what you grew up with, generally. The reality is, people who didn't grow up here and came from more moderate areas do think that upper 60s lower 70s in July is way to chilly and I certainly do. We are used to jumping in warm swimming pools and not freezing our butts off when we exit, even at midnight. I just had to turn off my window fan because as of this writing, my Weather Bug says 65 degrees and it was a bit too cool in here...awesome sleeping weather, however, I must admit.

The poster asking for advise says she hates cold weather and as someone with an equal mindset, I'm trying to help her because I know how miserable she will be because I know myself and as I mentioned, many friends who left because of the weather. I love Chicago, just not the weather. Yes, many beautiful days in summer and fall, but so many that are way too chilly for me to call summer weather. I have a partner that has to stay here, so I'm stuck for now or I would have left long ago. My parents are from here and neither would ever move back. It's not like I am totally miserable, but I would like to be where it's warmer. Unfortunatly, most warmer areas don't have the great urban lifestyle Chicago does and I could never live in the South or strip mall Florida.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:34 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingd View Post
...But as I said, natives here don't get it, just like someone from Houston doesn't get your side, it's what you grew up with, generally. The reality is, people who didn't grow up here and came from more moderate areas do think that upper 60s lower 70s in July is way to chilly and I certainly do...

The poster asking for advise says she hates cold weather...

...Unfortunatly, most warmer areas don't have the great urban lifestyle Chicago does and I could never live in the South or strip mall Florida.
The OP is from the Northwest. I am sure most of the warmer months in Chicago are much warmer than the Northwest. Yeah it gets colder here than the Northwest in the winter and there usually is more snowfall.

I really don't know why people keep coming in here asking about the weather. I mean do some research online.

This thread should have been closed after this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Jumpman: There is no way we can answer your question, because it's totally subjective. You know that it's cold in Chicago, and is cold for a long time. If you truly hate cold weather, I cannot recommend Chicago to you. However, LOTS of us don't care for cold weather particularly, but still love Chicago because there's lots to do despite the sucky winters.

So, if you're looking for someone to say "It's not THAT cold...", you won't. (Well, maybe Steve-o will... ) You can look up the stats. It's plenty cold.

As for whether it's too much for YOU, that's something only you can decide. There's no way the rest of us know your tolerances or your demeanor or your ability to deal with crap weather.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:55 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
I'm now convinced that the worst thing about Chicago weather is all of the wusses complaining about it all of the time. What a bunch of weak individuals. It's not like we live in Antarctica or northern Alaska.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:43 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
As a current Florida resident, I will totally disagree with you. I'm sure in the 9 months of heat, you live half of that in air conditioning, as do I. And these so-called brutal winters you speak of, I was up there last Jan when it was 22 below, and I just properly layered myself, which is what you're supposed to do. My body adjusted when it was 20 above, and I was just in a sweatshirt by then. Then 40 degrees became a heat wave for me.

Yes, they were brutal - try spending half your life in them! I would way rather go outside and sweat a little than have to bundle up to be able to function. Have fun during the IL winters! I'm sure you'll end up like so many others on the FL forum and want to go back...

Old 07-17-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
Yes, they were brutal - try spending half your life in them! I would way rather go outside and sweat a little than have to bundle up to be able to function. You really, really don't belong in FL. Have fun during the IL winters!
You act like people are frozen alive on street corners every day. Bone up! Florida has made you soft!

Old 07-17-2009, 10:47 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I'm now convinced that the worst thing about Chicago weather is all of the wusses complaining about it all of the time. What a bunch of weak individuals. It's not like we live in Antarctica or northern Alaska.
Aside from which, winter is the only thing that kills the damn zombies off. Did you know, I had four of those bastards frozen in a struggle on my front lawn last year? It was crazy.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Aside from which, winter is the only thing that kills the damn zombies off. Did you know, I had four of those bastards frozen in a struggle on my front lawn last year? It was crazy.
Yes, zombie blood flows slower so it's more susceptible to freezing temperatures. Poor bastards.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:53 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Yes, zombie blood flows slower so it's more susceptible to freezing temperatures. Poor bastards.
Lady Worthington and I were having tea this February past when one of their arms fell off.

I was horrified, of course. A proper zombie ornament is so hard to maintain. I felt like the social outcast of the winter season!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago