Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 03:50 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times

Advertisements

The winters are so horrible that if I ever feel like complaining about yet another humid, 100 degree Houston day I think about a Chicago winters and realize I could never move back to Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 04:04 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
25 degree nights, love me them fireplaces and hot chocolate!!!

Old 07-15-2009, 04:13 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
We just had a family reunion (that I ducked out of) in Beech Mountain in June. All the old folks said it was stunning. Remote mountain cabin with no cell phone service is a bit too Deliverance for me.
That's exactly why I go there. (The remote cabin with no cell service part. Not the Deliverance part.) I lived in Boone for 4 years while in college. I loved it.

Last edited by UnderTheLiveOaks; 07-15-2009 at 05:25 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 04:20 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Default I'll take Chicago's weather...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gioobag View Post
I agree. Assuming someone works in a climate-controlled setting for 8 hours during the day, what would you rather have to deal: with 85 degree Houston summer evenings? or 25 degree Chicago winter nights?

San Francisco also has this issue. Sure, the CA weather is nice during the daytime (while one is at work), but then after work that crap fog rolls in like clockwork. It was horrible.
...25-degree nights are much more pleasant; an 85-degree night is very uncomfortable without the help of a fan or air conditioner....

Also, if you didn't know, a 25-degree night is a little on the mild side for Chicago winters...

Old 07-15-2009, 05:21 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
The winters are so horrible that if I ever feel like complaining about yet another humid, 100 degree Houston day I think about a Chicago winters and realize I could never move back to Chicago.
Ew, I'd rather have sub zero then 100F humid

Old 07-15-2009, 06:46 PM

339 posts, read 2,205,105 times
oh wow, this thread became epic without me even intending it to. Thanks for all the opinions, and if any others that have lived in Portland especially can chime in about making the switch to Chicago, that would be great.

But, just out of curiosity, since I want to be in the accounting industry, is there plenty of opportunity for them in Chicago? Aside from the Big 4, are there a good amount of firms and smaller boutiques there? This is more important to me than the weather.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:25 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
But, just out of curiosity, since I want to be in the accounting industry, is there plenty of opportunity for them in Chicago? Aside from the Big 4, are there a good amount of firms and smaller boutiques there? This is more important to me than the weather.
But of course!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
So 5 or so pictures sets the tone of how it is here all the time. I see , guess your post of CRAP saying things like in the past knocking my examples of youtube videos was bad, but your idea of professionally taken photos taken on days where it was sunny means this is what is looks like here day in and day out. Yup spoken like a TRUE IDIOT! I stopped posting youtube videos because Chicago lovers like yourself just couldn't take the truth. Now it's your turn. Don't go and knock people's posts about the weather being less than pleasant for about mmmmm lets say 70% of the population that is stuck living here who don't like it when in the dead of winter you will go a week without seeing the sun and before you jump on the statistic bandwagon again, try to remember when was it where we had full sun for the entire day more than two days in a row? HMMMMM weekend of pride/taste perhaps? Which was what? The end of June? Every other day it has been cloudy here since so yes that is 50% sun. How lovely that is when even in the middle of summer we only get 50% sun while areas just a little to the south or west get much more. Heck I lived in Bloomington for a few years and there was a vast difference in the weather vs. here. Better? In some ways worse in others for instance summers were brutally hot and humid, but it was very sunny. Here while you're at it with professional pics, lets look at what our skies here usually look like in the dead of winter.

http://www.freewebs.com/monicalopez/...o%20winter.bmp

Here's a winner for the books http://chicagoist.com/attachments/ch...2_01_extra.jpg

Ahh I can't wait. http://www.urban75.org/photos/chicago/images/chic09.jpg

More lovely weather that I get to come home to every fricking winter when I go somewhere nice. http://www.kagledom.com/photos/chicago_winter.jpg

And here are the lovely blue skies that your ignorant ***** that can't read missed where I said it does clear out nicely and looks very pretty in the winter but it is bitterly cold. http://home.att.net/~keiichiro/chica...o/winter04.jpg

And huh what do you know... White skies! Who knew besides not you. http://brentgarcia.files.wordpress.c...of-chicago.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/gochicago/1/0/y/-/-/-/IMG_2127.JPG

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Early spring perhaps here? http://jamminwithjay.com/images/0510...s/CIMG0026.JPG

Quit trying to pursuade those who don' t like winter weather or are looking for pleasant weather that Chicago is wonderful weather wise because it AIN'T and I know Ain't isn't a word.

here's another lovely one. http://img5.travelblog.org/Photos/95...o-winter-1.jpg

This was the last time I saw it TOTALLY sunny all day with a lovely blue sky. http://x5f.xanga.com/ae6f62206063424...z196475670.jpg That day was great I will give you that, but since, the weather has sucked overall; very cloudy, just moderate to cool, and thats about it. More like spring than anything.

And I have no idea what city you were in because the last time it was sunny was Monday afternoon and that was it. It was cloudy Tues, today, Sunday, partly cloudy Sat, was nice Friday. That was the weather since last Friday. So what "stunning" blue skies did I miss yesterday or today for that matter? It looks pretty stunningly crappy by me right now just like it did since Monday evening when it clouded over late at night.
Youre not a very observant person are you? Lets see... Friday it rained, yes. Saturday was perfect. Sunday? Perfect. Monday? Perfect. Tuesday? Perfect. Today started off rainy and quite humid, ended up w/o a cloud in the sky and guess what? Blue skies? PLEASE tell me you saw the blue skies today?!?!?!

Oh and that pic of the "white skies" you posted was the result of OVEREXPOSURE. Spend some time with a camera sometime and youll know exactly what Im talking about. And all those snow pics dont surprise anyone, why bother posting them? Bottom line that in Chicago you can get snow one day, sun the next. That is the NORM. 50% sunshine in winter. Do the math.

Taken last winter at various times.

First snowfall of the year:

Last edited by Steve-o; 07-15-2009 at 08:26 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 08:31 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

Taken last winter at various times.
That first house is so cute. What town/area is that?

Old 07-15-2009, 08:33 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Apparently NYRules cant take statistics, especially when he states Im a "bandwagoner". lol Hey kid, whatever floats your boat. Either take the stats as they are, or shut it. No wonder your vids on YouTube (who the flip posts snow vids anyways?!?! Ooooh, ahhhh) got shot down, because people who actually PAY ATTENTION to the weather knows youre full of misinformation!!!! And genius, the 54% sunshine is the AVERAGE. Were it not for winter's lower sunshine percentages, Chicago would average in the mid 60s, which is sunnier than most places in this country. But November and Decembers averages bring our overall average down. Summertime sunshine averages anywhere from 65-70%, which is only 5% less than places like Miami, Albuquerque, etc, yearly averages. Put your mind around that for awhile! And FYI, Bloomington's sunshine % is the same as Chicagos. SHOCK! You remind me of those people who think Nashville is so much sunnier but they only average 2% more sunshine year round than we do. haha But the Chicago ex-pats in Nashville would SWEAR its sunnier. Garbage.

Chicago:
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Chicago, Illinois, United States of America

Nashville:
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Nashville, Tennessee, United States of America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago