Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 04:25 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I've never lived off my parents' money or student loans and I've lived in the Gold Coast, Old Town, River North and Lakeview all in my 20s. Most of my friends also supported themselves with or without roommates.

I'd agree that *some* young people live off their parents, but I think it's a long way from *most*.
How old are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 06:06 PM

A LOT of girls I went to high school with seem to have a kid, a baby daddy and live at home in the burbs. Three generations under one roof.. That's another demographic to consider, lol

But anyway, here's a picture of a baby boomer and his housewife:

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 06:09 PM..

Old 07-13-2013, 08:59 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times
Yeah...
In some cultures living with family is acceptable and normal.
This talk of making it shameful to li've with your family is weird to me.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Yeah...
In some cultures living with family is acceptable and normal.
This talk of making it shameful to li've with your family is weird to me.
Yeah, it's how a lot of Mexicans survive. And America's economy is becoming more comparable to a place like Mexico's every year.. Poor is the new rich.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:33 AM

6 posts, read 13,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
I've noticed suburbanite girls (at least the ones in the North Shore) mandate the guys they date have cars, even if the guys live in the city. And they definitely look down on guys who don't. Speaking in both generalities and from personal experience.
Really? I find that interesting. Before I moved to this city I expected people to not have cars. I sold my car soon after moving because I didn't really need it and all it did was get banged up by street parking.

I would never date a suburb girl (with the exception of girls from Evanston or some other town that's connected to the CTA) simply because meeting up would require a lot of effort without a car. It's kind of rude and impractical if a suburban girl or guy expects young people in the city to have cars.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:54 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
what's the difference? half the scenesters are from the suburbs to begin with. bonus points to texil who managed to interject la into the conversation when the OP didn't ask for it. couldn't see that one coming

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 07-13-2013 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: its a droid homie

Old 07-20-2013, 07:29 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,354,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
I've noticed suburbanite girls (at least the ones in the North Shore) mandate the guys they date have cars, even if the guys live in the city. And they definitely look down on guys who don't. Speaking in both generalities and from personal experience.
Who's dating girls from the North Shore? I never run into those girls. Seems like they would be more concerned if the guy is making 6 figures yet or not anyways so they can buy them back into the North Shore with their parents. Maybe if they were in High School they would be worried about a guys car.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:30 AM

73 posts, read 93,988 times
OP: I don't know how old you are but if you are 18-30, FINDING a girl to even talk to in the first place is really difficult in the suburbs. I just recently moved to the city from the suburbs and the difference is like night and day. When I lived in Glenview (and before that Skokie), I would see nothing but old people and families with kids (under 18). And pretty much every suburb was like that. Almost all the young women bolt for college or the city as soon as they graduate high school. The few that stay behind are usually taken. Even towns that have colleges (like Evanston and Elmhurst) become devoid as all the college age women go back to mommy and daddy in the summertime leaving a void of 18-30 year olds similar to what you find in your typical suburb. And when all the college girls come home for the summer, they either hang out in the city, or go on vacations some where.

And any women you find who are 23-30 are usually newlyweds, mothers, or expecting.

But here in the city, I ALWAYS see women in my age bracket (I am 23) especially in the neighborhoods along the lakefront. And living 3 blocks from Loyola also helps too.

I find city girls a lot more approachable than suburban girls, especially suburban girls from the 847 (North/Northwest suburbs-these girls tend to be very closed minded and rigid with Niles Township being the worst in that aspect). West suburban girls are almost as easy to talk to as city girls and South suburban girls, it really depends on what town they are from.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:19 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,354,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt90945557 View Post
OP: I don't know how old you are but if you are 18-30, FINDING a girl to even talk to in the first place is really difficult in the suburbs. I just recently moved to the city from the suburbs and the difference is like night and day. When I lived in Glenview (and before that Skokie), I would see nothing but old people and families with kids (under 18). And pretty much every suburb was like that. Almost all the young women bolt for college or the city as soon as they graduate high school. The few that stay behind are usually taken. Even towns that have colleges (like Evanston and Elmhurst) become devoid as all the college age women go back to mommy and daddy in the summertime leaving a void of 18-30 year olds similar to what you find in your typical suburb. And when all the college girls come home for the summer, they either hang out in the city, or go on vacations some where.

And any women you find who are 23-30 are usually newlyweds, mothers, or expecting.

But here in the city, I ALWAYS see women in my age bracket (I am 23) especially in the neighborhoods along the lakefront. And living 3 blocks from Loyola also helps too.

I find city girls a lot more approachable than suburban girls, especially suburban girls from the 847 (North/Northwest suburbs-these girls tend to be very closed minded and rigid with Niles Township being the worst in that aspect). West suburban girls are almost as easy to talk to as city girls and South suburban girls, it really depends on what town they are from.
I can see how most areas would be how you described it, but I'm sure there are pockets where you can find transplants and more open minded people. I was thinking of the four lakes community apartments in Lisles. It's supposed to be great for meeting people and social life. I guess I was talking about if you either already have a social network in the burbs, or if you can find a good spot in the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago