Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 01:24 AM

42 posts, read 109,273 times

Advertisements

Hi,

The area we're looking to buy in (SW) includes city and suburbs, so I'm wondering if there are any benefits to choosing one over the other, aside from avoiding Chicago public schools? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:44 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,452,690 times
There are major differences between just about any two towns/ cities in the Chicago region. I don't care if you are comparing Chicago to Cicero or Burr Ridge to Hinsdale or Downers Grove to Darien or Orland Park to Palos Hills or Stickney to Summit.

In each of those cases there are qualities that will appeal to some people, but not others. From the obvious stuff, like objective ranking of the performance of the high schools, to things that are somewhat less objective, like the elementary school to a whole range of financial issues starting with initial affordability running through liklihood of price stability/appreciation and tax rates there a MOUNTAINS of things one could compare.

The mantra of real estate, "location, location, location" is something that you cannot ignore. You want a home that will make it possible to get to good employment, will provide the amenities your family will appreciate, and ultimately be a good use of your hard earned money.

Without knowing more about you personal situation it is almost impossible to list all the possible trade offs that have to be made when evaluating City vs Suburb.

What is your employment situation? What is your price range? What is your current family situation? Long term plans? So many things to consider...

Old 05-11-2009, 09:22 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,821,890 times
There are vastly different suburbs in that region, and vastly different city neighborhoods too. We would need specifics. Comparing Beverly to Harvey is very different from comparing Roseland to Tinley Park--even though both are city to suburb comparisons.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:25 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,246,044 times
Some city places feel more suburban then some suburbs and vice versa.
Some suburbs are worst then some city places.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:33 PM

35 posts, read 113,921 times
Schools aside from my opinion, I would choose location based on where you work. Less commute time means more time for yourself and family. Work in the city, live in the city. Vise Versa for suburbs. I live in the city but work in the suburbs. Total daily commute time is about 3 hours.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:02 PM

264 posts, read 717,404 times
your postal address would say Chicago on it, and youd say it to everyone you talk to on the phone that needs your address... thats enough for me to live in the city. seriously.

Oh and even the schools I like better, my kids will come out tougher and speaking spanish! haha...seriously again.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:08 PM

42 posts, read 109,273 times
Well, specifically we're looking at Oak Lawn, Evergreen Park, Mt. Greenwood or maybe Beverly. I was wondering in terms of resale down the line if there would be any advantages or disadvantages to any one of these zip codes over another. Thanks!

Old 05-12-2009, 02:49 PM

264 posts, read 717,404 times
Oak Lawn- i think its already bad and gonna get worse.The rest I have no clue

Old 05-12-2009, 03:08 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,081,865 times
Oak Lawn isn't bad. It is similar to Evergreen Park -- both are modest older suburbs that have some new commercial projects with even bigger plans for the future but currently suffer from a more dated looking commercial district and a general preference for young professionals (and thus new money) to move further out. It is no longer sensible to speak of an entire town as a homogeneous entity -- specific parts of Oak Lawn and Evergreen Park are very nice, others much more modest. No part of it is bad, though. You can do pretty well in these towns for 300K.

Mount Greenwood is something from another era. It has mostly modest homes on standard-sized lots and isn't well connected by public transport. It has a reputation though for low crime, tight community, and some good institutions (parks, schools, etc.). The business districts are sort of interesting and sort of such at the same time. 300K will also get you a pretty good place.

Beverly is a large historic district with a different feel. It is well connected by metra to downtown (as is central oak lawn). Homes range from modest to spectacular (with asking price upwards of 1.5M), many on quadruple lots. 300K might get you something, but you'll need 400+ will buy you many more options. It has the feel of an old suburb away from the big streets -- hills, big old homes on big lots, and everyone knows everyone.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:12 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,669,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Zen View Post
Well, specifically we're looking at Oak Lawn, Evergreen Park, Mt. Greenwood or maybe Beverly. I was wondering in terms of resale down the line if there would be any advantages or disadvantages to any one of these zip codes over another. Thanks!
You need to tell us what you need, and then what you'd prefer. That's how you sort.

I avoid these kinds of threads, but how frustrating. Do you have children? Where are you looking to work? Do you have to commute by car or should you be taking public trans?

If you're like many of our Texan friends on this board, you're probably unlikely to enjoy city living. You probably want the suburbs... and by those I mean the far-flung suburbs, as many of Chicago's suburbs may very well still be extremely dense, wall-to-wall housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago