Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 01:58 AM

122 posts, read 253,161 times

Advertisements

Uptown has a depressing vibe to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 05:57 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
She was talking about the homeless and mentally ill population.
I assumed that. And?

Quote:
Those services should exist on the north side. But come on, now...
Yes, they should. And?

As with most of your posts, I have no idea what point you were trying to make here.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:19 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
She was talking about the homeless and mentally ill population.

Those services should exist on the north side. But come on, now...
Exactly! I bet that poster thought i meant racially. Thank you for getting it.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Wow.
yes shocking to you, but think about it. time marches on, people eventually want their neighborhood imporoved. People ***** about the poor homeless and such, but however, some cant help it, some have mental problems, some could do better but dont. In any case, if you look at the history of Chicago, continually there are neighborhood improvements whether some people like it or not.. whether advocates of the ones getting out like it or not,,,, if you track chicago's history, from the slums in the beginning, to Cabrini Green, and the projects, ALL HAVE BEEN KNOCKED DOWN/IMPROVED. the poor have to go somewhere, so where did the people from the projects go? so you see it happens, new stores come into the neighborhood, and if they see some property they can buy that is run down and then improve it, by all means they will do so... and they do,, and im happy for it. I'm happy that the people in the neighborhood who pay rent or mortgatge or shop have a nice store to go shop in. So if i had the choice of keeping a rundown 10 cent store with homeless people hanging out begging/harassing people for money, compared to a Target, hella yeah, I will pick the Target over the homeless guy.

Take the Hotel Chateau over by Broadway and Sheridan, Hella yeah Im happy to see that place go down, now the alcoholics can find another place to hang out, and we can enjoy Gill Park without people harassing people for money.

so you can say "wow" but im being realistic. If I were still living in Uptown, over by Broadway and wilson, I too would want the homeless and the crazies to go elsewhere.. because I want to live where I feel comfortable. Most of the time, I had no problem where I was living in Uptown, because I lived in one of the better streets, however, I never felt safe as I could have compared to where I am now. Most of them didn't bother me, however, when i came into my neighborhood, the environement and the feel of it changed and i didn't feel as safe. Sorry if i appear to you to be bougiousee, but I totally understand that people want to live in as nicest place as they can be, and I dont crucify someone for wanting that.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:35 AM

Come to think of it, for that matter, sometimes the homeless/beggars/mentallly ill are harmful and sometimes harmless. Awhile back, people were commenting on the people hanging out at the U-Haul place in Buena Park, harassing people, not sure if thats still going on, and also in Lakeview, Panera Cares was causing a problem by the guy turning Panera Bread restaurant into Panera Cares, it was causing lots of problems thanks to the un-friendly neighbhorhood homeless, and even me waiting on a bus downtonw in the loop, a homeless mentally ill drunk guy was harassing people waiting for the bus and talking the filthiest nastiest language, and when I moved out of Uptown a few years ago, there were a few homeless people causing me trouble with my moving van, actually going up to the door and peeking in probably trying to see whe could steal, wtf! did he think my moving van was some 10 cent store? sheesh!!! and then there were the dude that while i was out at my van, he asks me for $10 to get to his home in the suburbs.. and my car got damaged too while in Uptown, probalby by some idiots playing with a bb gun or maybe even a bullet, or some kids, who knows.

So you see, based on these things and what I know goes on at the Chateau Hotel, with homeless harassing people, you better believe I am happy for the neighborhood to change. Not only for me, but for others have these types of bad encounters.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:49 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I dont see anything wrong with wanting to have a neighborhood where they "cleanse" the people... I am talking about the homeless and mentally ill...
You're not alone there. That's how the Detroit Police Department sees it, too.

The Long Ride: ACLU of Michigan Investigates - YouTube

ACLU Urges Detroit To End Illegal Practice of

Last edited by Just1Fan; 05-20-2013 at 08:00 AM..

Old 05-20-2013, 08:22 AM

Detroit is messed up. the problems are most likely insurrmountable, neighborhoods are out of control with the worst graffita and burned out homes/beat up homes/abandoned homes. it makes uptown look like Beverly Hills, CA. they have to do something. strong measures, yeah, but what else are they gonna do? I dont know... im not there. maybe something should have been done all along so it woudln't have gotten that way.

Im glad people are tackling neighborhoods here, and it may hurt some people somewhat, but its gonna hurt one way or the other. .. think realistically.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:23 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
Quote:
Wow.

At least we have some people finally being honest with their wishes.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:08 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
At least we have some people finally being honest with their wishes.
True. Gotta give him that.

ChicagoMeo, your last four posts might as well have consisted of "blah blah blah" repeated endlessly. That's precisely what anything you type is now worth after saying you want to cleanse people from a neighborhood. I don't know or care what you said after that.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:36 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
True. Gotta give him that.

ChicagoMeo, your last four posts might as well have consisted of "blah blah blah" repeated endlessly. That's precisely what anything you type is now worth after saying you want to cleanse people from a neighborhood. I don't know or care what you said after that.
The phrase "cleanse from the neighborhood" has that lovely 1990s Bosnia ring to it, and was certainly a horrible choice of words.

When you have such a wild mix of incomes and social norms mixed tightly in a neighborhood like Uptown, you'll get all kinds of reactions on both sides. I admire Aleking's tolerance of Uptown in it's current state, and his appreciation for the positive attributes of diversity. Uptown is a truly fascinating neighborhood with a lot to offer.

I also understand ChicagoMeo's frustration with the state of social services in Uptown, and the behavior of homeless residents. Poverty, addiction, and mental illness are uncomfortable things to witness. But sweeping them under the rug or just relocating it "out of site" isn't a solution. The "cleansing" comment comes off as really inhumane.

To me, the question is "How did Uptown become a social service mecca on the North Side, and should it continue to be one?" And if the "gentrification" trend is going to displace some of this activity (which I've stated I am alright with--to a degree--in this prime north lakefront location), will other locations be able to fill in service gaps that appear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago