Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 05:53 AM

486 posts, read 863,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Do you really think the problem is yuppies avoiding ethnic businesses? Sorry to burst your bubble, but many small local grocers went out of business because everyone started avoiding them. And this happened decades ago, not just from a recent influx of "hipsters" or "yuppies" or whatever you want to call it. They were out of business long before any "yuppies" arrived. You can also blame the fact that the first generation Polish and Mexican kids who grew up in the neighborhood in the 70's left for the 'burbs in the 80's and 90's.

One of the biggest culprits in the death of the small places is Family Dollar, which has taken the place of the small local places in many neighborhoods. Even recent immigrants only use the small stores if they're looking for specialty items, otherwise they're going to Jewel, Family Dollar, Target, Costco, Walmart, etc.

My neighbors on both sides of me are all immigrants from Mexico (and their 1st generation US kids) and they do a trip out to Walmart in Forest Park every Sunday after church. I see the illegal day laborers who rent their top floor doing all their grocery shopping at CVS all the time. There's a local place nearby, at California and Milwaukee, but they've never even been there.

The California/Milwaukee Produce place is actually a great example of a place that is doing it right. The selection is really limited, but they have a great selection of Mexican ingredients, including fresh tortillas from Atotonilco, El Milagro, Los Comanches, etc. They also have an actual butcher who will cut things to order. All of their food is great and dirt cheap. On the flip side, you'd be insane to buy things like paper towels or trash bags there - they're almost all poor quality and very overpriced. They seem to recognize that and a few years ago cut the number of household items they sell and focused more on food. The place is doing well and has a good mix of customers from all different backgrounds.
So ethnic, financial and age diversity is just limited to Mexicans, Polish and Yuppies?
Sure people left areas as you mentioned but read CD about those who reside in "yuppie" areas & how
they decide to leave once their children have to start school (then its time to move).
Good that Logan Square has a market but there are several ethnic neighborhoods which are
in jeopardy of losing their identity and businesses because the people moving in are not supporting
the local businesses and prefer the unique choices from Target, Walmart, CVS, Costco, Dominicks...
Plus the people who managed to preserve that neighborhood were & are being priced out.
What some of us who are older than you and remember neighborhoods where young and old
of different financial classes lived together and actually spoke to each other while respecting
and embracing all cultures and supporting the mom & pop stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 08:26 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
Plus the people who managed to preserve that neighborhood were & are being priced out.
What some of us who are older than you and remember neighborhoods where young and old
of different financial classes lived together and actually spoke to each other while respecting
and embracing all cultures and supporting the mom & pop stores.
I understand the neighborhood thing or maybe not. Time always bring about changes to an area. People come and people go. As demographics change so does the retail makings of the area. Life doesn't stay the same. You can choose your neighborhood but you can't choose your neighbor.

What neighborhood are you referring to being tolerant of diversity? I'm always into exploring truly diverse neighborhoods.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I understand the neighborhood thing or maybe not. Time always bring about changes to an area. People come and people go. As demographics change so does the retail makings of the area. Life doesn't stay the same. You can choose your neighborhood but you can't choose your neighbor.

What neighborhood are you referring to being tolerant of diversity? I'm always into exploring truly diverse neighborhoods.
Of course change is inevitable but when every aspect of the neighborhood changes it annihilates
what made the neighborhood desirable in the first place i.e., authenticity, diversity, friendly,
affordability, welcoming....
Two good examples are 1. Albany Park and 2. West Ridge (Devon between California & Western).
If you go down Devon Ave. you will see Jewish, German, Indian, Pakistan, Russian and Korean
cultures. A mix of people who in their own countries would be enemies but here they
have shops next door to each other and all get along.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:53 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
Of course change is inevitable but when every aspect of the neighborhood changes it annihilates
what made the neighborhood desirable in the first place i.e., authenticity, diversity, friendly,
affordability, welcoming....
Two good examples are 1. Albany Park and 2. West Ridge (Devon between California & Western).
If you go down Devon Ave. you will see Jewish, German, Indian, Pakistan, Russian and Korean
cultures. A mix of people who in their own countries would be enemies but here they
have shops next door to each other and all get along.
I agree with you 200%.

Great area.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:22 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Chicago is booming? only in the loop. Which isn't even 10% of the city.
Which is only affordable to the upper class/wealthy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago

2000 2,896,016 4.0%
2010 2,695,598 −6.9%
Est. 2012 2,661,9511.2%

Even though they are just estimates looks like im correct on my prediction.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Which is only affordable to the upper class/wealthy.

2000 2,896,016 4.0%
2010 2,695,598 −6.9%
Est. 2012 2,661,9511.2%

Oh for Pete's sake......stop reading and posting crap that supports your paranoia. You don't know
squat.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:50 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
If only every city could be like Indy. Sigh. Oh well, we can dream!

Old 05-07-2013, 02:38 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
I never mentioned Indy once so bringing it into this thread is off topic. just an FYI.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:48 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
I never mentioned Indy once so bringing it into this thread is off topic. just an FYI.
You might want to change your location to Chicago or to a city that is generally recognized as being better than Chicago if you want to have some prayer of people taking your horrendously poor attempts at criticism seriously. Of course, at this point you'd also need to start over with a new screen name, too. Just an FYI.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:47 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:

2000 2,896,016 4.0%
2010 2,695,598 −6.9%
Est. 2012 2,661,9511.2%

lol you don't even know what the word estimate means...And I guess you forgot about this gem that you previously posted:

Quote:
Census population ESTIMATES are garbage to use. the Real census every 10 years is the best and most accurate way to paint a picture.
I will not believe Census estimates or use them and hold my breathe. The Real Census every 10 years is where its at and theres no reason to debate that.
I also love that your arguments are so terrible that in the same your same quoted source there are TWO estimates for the Chicago 2012 population:

Population (2012 Estimate)[1][2]
• City 2,874,312

Est. 2012 2,661,951 −1.2%

Neither have any citations for any data about 2012!

This clown's ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago