Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 10:49 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,219,544 times

Advertisements

Wow Chicago is absolutely booming right now, Chicago currently has one of the fastest growing downtown's in America. The city is upgrading their transit, crime is going down, the economy is even booming with a faster growth rate than Indianapolis. Companies are moving fast to chicago because of its good business climate. No wonder lots of college students want to live here rather than places like Indy and MinneapolisI thought i would lighten up Chicago forums because everything is so damn negative...
Mayor Emanuel says local economy is booming -
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...go-s-city-hall
http://yochicago.com/chicago-had-lar...to-2010/28054/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 12:02 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,946,529 times
Yep, downtown is in fact booming. Many companies either moving back to Chicago from the burbs or out of state. Others hiring now, expanding their offices, new startups forming every day or every other day on average, new residential buildings being built and others being converted...many, many planned new buildings, restaurants and bars opening up constantly.

Some areas such as Ukrainian Village/West Town, Lakeview, South Loop, and Logan Square are also seeing a little bit of growth and I guess possibly Uptown. Crime has been going down, although it's still semi high compared to the likes of NYC nowadays. Other areas though will see decline as a result.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:16 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,212,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yep, downtown is in fact booming. Many companies either moving back to Chicago from the burbs or out of state. Others hiring now, expanding their offices, new startups forming every day or every other day on average, new residential buildings being built and others being converted...many, many planned new buildings, restaurants and bars opening up constantly.

Some areas such as Ukrainian Village/West Town, Lakeview, South Loop, and Logan Square are also seeing a little bit of growth and I guess possibly Uptown.
As are Hyde Park, Bridgeport, Pilsen, West Loop, and East Humboldt Park, among others.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:18 PM

955 posts, read 1,833,934 times
The transplants/newcomers deserve a large amount of credit for this. The growth in wealth and commerce is mind-boggling to long time natives like myself. Spent the better part of my life roaming these streets and I now often act like a neck-whipped tourist trying to absorb the remarkable new landscape surrounding me.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:19 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,946,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
As are Hyde Park, Bridgeport, Pilsen, West Loop, and East Humboldt Park, among others.
AH yep...true. It will be interesting to see what happens with the migration of people though

Old 04-27-2013, 04:00 PM

271 posts, read 459,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
the economy is even booming with a faster growth rate than Indianapolis.
why need to compare with Indy? Indy is not even on the same level as Chicago, and I think will never be.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:05 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,321,755 times
Hung out in Logan Square today. Crazy how active that area has become! They recently opened an Intelligesta coffee next to Logan theatre.

Question. The building that houses the Gap Outlet, are those lofts they are building above? They have been renovating the building for some time now. New windows installed and you can see ceiling fans and air conditioner ducts exposed all brand new and all via loft style. Would love to buy a loft there! Beautiful building on the exterior!

Old 04-27-2013, 04:07 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,321,755 times
Bah found the answer to my question: Oak Park investor buys Gap store in Logan Square - News - Crain's Chicago Business

Old 04-27-2013, 04:08 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,219,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy771 View Post
why need to compare with Indy? Indy is not even on the same level as Chicago, and I think will never be.
bahahaha

Old 04-27-2013, 04:18 PM

271 posts, read 459,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
bahahaha
So now your gonna be the new Chicago booster? If that's the case, just stick with Cincy and bash Indy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago