Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:01 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I understand, maybe I give people too much credit; I would assume any intelligent person would understand that the violent crime in Chicago (or any other major city) is concentrated to specific areas.
The poster we were responding to did not appear to understand that, so that's why we were pointing it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 11:05 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Common sense tells me there are parts of Chicago where you are much safer walking around than some of the worst parts of New York, and vice versa, these cities all have their high crime and not-as-high crime areas.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:18 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
There are a few factors at play here. First of all, the gang culture is not nearly as pervasive in NYC as it is in Chicago (or Los Angeles). In NYC, you're not going to be shot for wearing your cap the wrong way, whereas it has certainly happened in Chicago. Second, I do believe the penalties are ultra stiff for being caught with weapons in NYC (just ask Plaxico Burress). Sure, criminals don't care about the law, but it has to account for something. Third, a lot of the descendants traditional African-American diaspora that came up along the coast to NYC from states like South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia have been fleeing NYC and its high cost of living and heading down south to places such as Atlanta and various cities in North Carolina & Florida. If you actually hang out in NYC for a while, you'll quickly notice that a very significant percentage of blacks you meet are actually from the Carribean Islands & African immigrants. Or they'll be mixed with Puerto Rican or Dominican heritages. In fact, many Dominicans can also pass for being black as well. Contrast this with the more traditional African-American population from the south side & west sides of Chicago. They say the west side blacks are the more country ones, whereas the south side ones are a bit more urban, but nonetheless, the majority of this group are descendants of the Great Migration out of Mississippi, Alabama, etc. Their descendants were directly affected and stunted by the evil of slavery & they've been fighting an uphill battle ever since. The perfect storm of demographics & the loss of manufacturing in cities such as Chicago along with the illegal supply chain of drugs has kept the market for gangs & crime very much alive in Chicago.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:40 PM

577 posts, read 669,745 times
Also worth noting that half of all murder victims knew their murderer, and 20% were family members. Even in the worst areas, being murdered by a total stranger is very rare.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:57 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I understand, maybe I give people too much credit; I would assume any intelligent person would understand that the violent crime in Chicago (or any other major city) is concentrated to specific areas.
You give people far too much credit. My friends and I are planning a trip to Market Days this year and two of them wanted to back out because "Chicago's murder rate was out of control." I had to explain to them that most of the crime is contained within a few neighborhoods, nowhere near where we were going to be, and that the downtown/North side is perfectly safe. Then they settled down.

And these are college educated people mind you, one of whom works in a senior level position with the federal government. There's so much misinformation and mis-framing of issues in the media, many times they would have you believe all of Chicago is a war zone.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:19 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,149 times
In Chicago, at least you know where the danger is. In NYC, one minute you're walking down the street, in a crowd of people, with brief cases and tailored suits all around you - the next thing you know, you're being attacked by a terrorist.

The World Is A Ghetto ~ WAR

Old 04-26-2013, 04:13 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Chicago is definitely more dangerous overall. That being said, thanks to the geography of the city, it's quite easy to avoid the bad parts here, probably moreso than in NYC, which works to the advantage of the nice neighborhoods and the severe detriment of the bad ones. The North and NW sides are blowing up with money and investment, while the really awful neighborhoods are isolated far away on the West and South sides and aren't going to see an influx of new residents anytime soon to stabilize their decline.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:15 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Well, Chicago has a MUCH higher crime rate. Are you really asking - Which is more dangerous, Manhattan or the north side of Chicago? Probably the North Side of Chicago.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:54 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
I would say the ghetto-related crime infiltrates functional areas more in Chicago than New York, plus we have more flash mobs/wildings/urban terrorist activity.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:02 PM

300 posts, read 639,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
How much would you guys consider to be a "few" neighborhoods??

B/c i can think of SEVERAL neighborhoods in Chicago where crime is a real issue, and some more neighborhoods where crime is still a moderate concern.
Mostly on the South & Westside right? Whens the last time you've heard "14 Shot overnight in Lincoln Park''? A lot of Chicago bashers and outsiders who've never step foot into Chicago think the whole city is some warzone...As long as the shootings never happen near the multi-million dollar condo's and high rises its OK in Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago